Analysis Whipping Boys - 2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Would like to put forth a nomination for trent bianco. Lauded by many upon debut for his magnificently polished skills and decision making, he already seems to be a high achiever at one s sidebottom's school of:
-shirking contests
-not sticking tackles
-being the worst "elite" kick in the comp
-fluffing regulation passes
-kicking the ball to grass 5m in front of your intended target.

While I'm sure he will start the season looking a long shot in the 2s, into his 3rd year i feel he has real dark horse potential in the run home.

Would like to put forth a nomination for trent bianco. Lauded by many upon debut for his magnificently polished skills and decision making, he already seems to be a high achiever at one s sidebottom's school of:
-shirking contests
-not sticking tackles
-being the worst "elite" kick in the comp
-fluffing regulation passes
-kicking the ball to grass 5m in front of your intended target.

While I'm sure he will start the season looking a long shot in the 2s, into his 3rd year i feel he has real dark horse potential in the run home.
Could be on to something, his love for Collingwood growing up gives him some credit but only so much.

Like many I’m riding Cal, whips and spurs.

Apologies to Rowdy in advance
Such a good bet. Some blokes only have so much scope for lashing, as going the full spud will get them dropped and they will miss out on lots of whips in the ressies But the Brown boys, with their ability to attract unison whipping, can really spud it up with absolute freedom as one out is likely to result in the other one in.

My thinking is that if we get thumped week in and week out we will pick someone quite unexpected. Im thinking out backline may look a liitle different with this guy in it, especially if he is responsible for some leaked goals. Im thinking people will begin to doubt his leadership credentials. Some will say he is to soft, some with demand he retire with a year on his contract. My left field smokey is Pendles.

The key point in the whole process is that they have to play AFL. It's not much benefit to anyone to whip someone in the VFL.

The other aspect that I think a lot of people have forgotten is something the blairmeister was famous for..... he was loved by the coach... and he was gifted games when any sane person would have delisted him mid-season...

So the three candidates to me are the Madge, the tiny brown and the pale kid in the backline....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thinking is that if we get thumped week in and week out we will pick someone quite unexpected. Im thinking out backline may look a liitle different with this guy in it, especially if he is responsible for some leaked goals. Im thinking people will begin to doubt his leadership credentials. Some will say he is to soft, some with demand he retire with a year on his contract. My left field smokey is Pendles.

far more likely is jordan roughead...doing his cool european dude impersonation and just ticked over 31 years of age and an absolute certainty to retire before we make 10th on the ladder...go and coach the girls, ya mug...

Images of Darcy Moore sprinting off the ground and then not playing for a couple of years are still fresh in my mind. He'll need to be All Australian to save me from abusively spewing bile about him being a show pony.

Last edited:
Whipping boys

Murphy
Brown x 2
Bianco
Madgen
Noble
Roscoe
Cox
Wilson
Sidebottom
Poulter
WHE

Feel free to add / delete.
I'd delete Ruscoe and Murphy. Maybe I'm soft, but I reckon the video with his mum still gives Ruscoe another year before I really pile on. And Murphy would get lots of lashes, but I couldn't be bothered finding out which hospital he's loitering in.

I'd delete Ruscoe and Murphy. Maybe I'm soft, but I reckon the video with his mum still gives Ruscoe another year before I really pile on. And Murphy would get lots of lashes, but I couldn't be bothered finding out which hospital he's loitering in.

the rumour is that murphy has a permanent room at the epworth.... the staff even wheelchair him to his room because he has issues with injuries when he walks...

Images of Darcy Moore sprinting off the ground and then not playing for a couple of years are still fresh in my mind. He'll need to be All Australian to save me from abusively spewing bile about him being a show pony.

yeh i'm on the same page.... never liked him... his dad leaving the club for the paycheck was the end straw for me... hopefully we can swap him for stevo at the end of the year

While there are some excellent posts on this topic, and many of us are getting excited in anticipation of the bile we’ll be spewing…we should also prepare ourselves for the worst. Some whipping boys might actually come good. Not something to look forward to, I agree, but it could happen.

Be ready to be disappointed.

While there are some excellent posts on this topic, and many of us are getting excited in anticipation of the bile we’ll be spewing…we should also prepare ourselves for the worst. Some whipping boys might actually come good. Not something to look forward to, I agree, but it could happen.

Be ready to be disappointed.
I'm confident that even if some spuds rise to the level of competent, we'll still get to spew bile along the way, before they are re-rated. And by the time the re-rating occurs, others will have fallen or risen to become fresh whipping boys or sponges for our bile.

I'm beginning to confuse myself though. Perhaps we should have 2 threads - whipping boys and bile sponges. I feel they might be two slightly different categories of spud.

I'm confident that even if some spuds rise to the level of competent, we'll still get to spew bile along the way, before they are re-rated. And by the time the re-rating occurs, others will have fallen or risen to become fresh whipping boys or sponges for our bile.

I'm beginning to confuse myself though. Perhaps we should have 2 threads - whipping boys and bile sponges. I feel they might be two slightly different categories of spud.
You’ve got it completely wrong.
The Blair Memorial trophy is the highest honour bestowed by the fans.

It is a badge of honour amongst the playing group.

You’ve got it completely wrong.
The Blair Memorial trophy is the highest honour bestowed by the fans.

It is a badge of honour amongst the playing group.
True. Apologies all. You don't rise from spud to competent - it's a massive fall away from the whips, a fall that has left many heartbroken - see the retirement of Chris Mayne. He'd stopped attracting as many whips and started to earn feint praise. It was heartbreaking. The really sad thing is that he was a pure bona fide spud and he deserved to keep getting those lashes.

Last edited:
Try harder. It’s a rich vein to mine.😁
I actually prefer the other side. i.e. defending one or two of the whipping boys. First off Cal Brown.;)
When ScoMo gets the bullet, you will have no one!
No chance, I love politics.

I've got faith in you Maggie. You'll lift and find someone to really get stuck into.
I will most likely go for the one I think is a coach favourite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Whipping Boys - 2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back