Who are we eyeing for in the draft....

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick Rose - pretty good goalsneak, tough and courageous, though hasn't got the motor to play up the ground. A chance to be rookie-listed (at best).

Ok.
Looks as though he was promising so i would like to see him play this week....

Masten, Selwood or Palmer sound good early. Especially Palmer, as 'Missus' will compliment Dick, Cox & Goldsack.

We also need to draft Polkinghorne for obvious reasons.

Love your work.

I think this year has been a major awakening for the club so I'm expecting the ruck to be more of a priority then before. I think MM might go all out and use a 2nd round pick to get one, whether its through trade or draft will depend on how well we go trade week shopping around players no one wants.

I think the best we can get from Lonie is a move up the draft order (probably second round) and I think its worth doing. If we can get our second round pick in the top 20 I'd be very happy with that for the loss of Lonie who will never be a regular in our side.

If we really want a ruckman of substance we will have to look at something like Egan plus first round, and even then I'm not confident we could attract any interest.

I also think we could use a good run with player. Someone like Ling.

Brad Ebert was Michael Voss's pick as the best player available this year. Sounds like he has a similar build to Voss.

I'm hoping:
1st Round-Midfielder(in and under ball winner)
2nd Round-Ruckman or trade for a ruckman (possibly Meeson-worth the punt)
3rd Round-Midfielder
4th Round+ In Hine we trust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what do people think of picking up one of:
Ben McEvoy
Brad Ebert
Patrick Vezprezemi (shite spelling)
Jack Grimes
McEvoy looks to be a real talent, but is more of a KPP than a ruckman at this stage and KPPs are not a weakness of ours at the moment.

Brad Ebert will be a great player for somebody, I do wonder about his ability to get his own ball though, as he couldn't get near it during the championship GF.

Patrick Veszpremi would be brilliant if he gets near us in the second round, he's hard and has exceptional kicking skills. As we'll likely have a pick around 10, we'd probably be overpaying for him at that spot. Yes please if he's still there second round.

Jack Grimes is another who could slide, as his foot skills aren't fantastic and he's not overly quick. He does get his own footy though as an in-and-under player, and is wonderfully smart in terms of where he positions himself. Fantastic work ethic and leadership skills. I'm happy to leave his appropriate draft position to Hine. ;)

McEvoy looks to be a real talent, but is more of a KPP than a ruckman at this stage and KPPs are not a weakness of ours at the moment.

Brad Ebert will be a great player for somebody, I do wonder about his ability to get his own ball though, as he couldn't get near it during the championship GF.

Patrick Veszpremi would be brilliant if he gets near us in the second round, he's hard and has exceptional kicking skills. As we'll likely have a pick around 10, we'd probably be overpaying for him at that spot. Yes please if he's still there second round.

Jack Grimes is another who could slide, as his foot skills aren't fantastic and he's not overly quick. He does get his own footy though as an in-and-under player, and is wonderfully smart in terms of where he positions himself. Fantastic work ethic and leadership skills. I'm happy to leave his appropriate draft position to Hine. ;)
Agree about McEvoy, but at the same time, if he were to be available by our pick, he'd have to be considered.

Ebert did have a supposedly "crap" championships, but still averaged 22 possessions per game and made All-Australian, so it was more of a Lance Franklin kind "crap championships".

Consensus would generally say that our first round pick would be overpaying for Veszpremi, but personally I think he could find himself going in that area. He ticks a lot of boxes, given that he's fast, physical and skillful. I like him a lot - I see him as a Bachar Houli-type but without the injury history that caused Houli to drop.

Got nothing to add about Grimes.

This is what weaver said about him.

19. Patty Vezpremi (Rover, BP, FP)

Stocky, cranky, aggressive, pack-charging, fist-pumping cannonball. I love that he does everything at full speed. No cruising around stylishly looking for options - get the ball, tuck it under an arm, run through something. Get-stuck-into-em. Probably lacks a yard of pace but it doesn't show because he goes full tilt all the time. Probably lacks some class - doesn't let it matter. Question about whether he can nudge it up to 11 amongst adults - but if Campbell Brown can cut it then Vez should too.

He sounds already physically devoloped as a player which hine will never use a first round pick on.

By the way is he anything like nathan foley?

This is what weaver said about him.

19. Patty Vezpremi (Rover, BP, FP)

Stocky, cranky, aggressive, pack-charging, fist-pumping cannonball. I love that he does everything at full speed. No cruising around stylishly looking for options - get the ball, tuck it under an arm, run through something. Get-stuck-into-em. Probably lacks a yard of pace but it doesn't show because he goes full tilt all the time. Probably lacks some class - doesn't let it matter. Question about whether he can nudge it up to 11 amongst adults - but if Campbell Brown can cut it then Vez should too.

He sounds already physically devoloped as a player which hine will never use a first round pick on.

By the way is he anything like nathan foley?

Perfect - Love to Draft this Kid

Agree about McEvoy, but at the same time, if he were to be available by our pick, he'd have to be considered.
That's true, although it's highly unlikely he will be, we would have to consider him.
Ebert did have a supposedly "crap" championships, but still averaged 22 possessions per game and made All-Australian, so it was more of a Lance Franklin kind "crap championships".
I only saw the GF, which was held at Casey Fields not far from where I work. He was non-existent. I can only go off previous reports and his SANFL form.

First Round: Midfield in order Chris Masten, Brad Ebert (both likley to be gone by our pick) then Jack Grimes, Scott Selwood and Patrick Veszpremi. I agree with VV and a few others that I love the look of Vesz. but we would be taking a risk in taking him that early especially as Grimes looks a very good player and at 187cm has a bigger frame than Vesz.
The likley first round rucks of Kreuzer (gone by our pick), McEvoy and Bellchambers are all 199cm so could be risky for AFL height rucks.

Second Round: Ruck, really like the look of Andrew Renton (202cm) [Weaver: Developing tall tap-ruckman. At club level has shunted Matt Lobbe out of the centre and claimed the number 1 ruck spot. Showing a rapid rate of improvement from week to week and should sneak ahead of Sullivan (at least) by season end. Capable of snagging a goal or two resting up forward and around the ground work is improving.]
Other options being Will Sullivan (202cm) and Dawson Simpson (207cm).

Third Round: Patrick McGinnity can do the in an under stuff but I would draft to take over our tagging duties. This is based soley on one good game, but he was very good in that game.
Other options being Daniel Brittain and Patrick Dangerfield.

Fourth Round: Another ruckman, If Sullivan, Simpson, David Martin, Rhys Clinton or Dean Putt are around then possibly pick up one of them.
Scott Meyer is an option but at 196cm is risky.

Idealy I would like to trade for a young ruckman in Meesen, Clark, etc. but it all depends upon what the other clubs want and what we are willing to offer.

Trade Leon Davis for Chad Fletcher

Fletcher seem to be on the outer at west coast

Leon is expendable and wants to go home??

Fletcher could fit in as a good inside midfieler

Trade Leon Davis for Chad Fletcher

Fletcher seem to be on the outer at west coast

Leon is expendable and wants to go home??

Fletcher could fit in as a good inside midfieler

I wouldn't trade Leon after this year. Has really stepped up imo.
Fletcher is past it. Getting old and too slow. Wouldn't help us at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are we eyeing for in the draft....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back