• Duggan

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Lamb

Votes: 13 3.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given we have picked up Moore, the first question here is do we go for. and who would be left at this picks.
A) the best available player at our pick
B) the Best Tall
C) The Best Mid
Best available player imo, and I think that is how Hine operates

For the record how do you rate this top 5 compared to last year and other years? I'd like to bookmark your response for later viewing.
That's speculative, subjective and ultimately irrelevant.

In assessing the value of pick five this year, you can only look at it in relation to the rest of this draft, where it would lose value if it was outside of the range the top group of talent (it isn't) or if the draft class as a whole appeared obviously less talented than normal (it doesn't).

A future A-grade player will be available when we pick, so the issue is not the value of pick 5, whether we get our hands on the best player available, so it's down to due diligence and professional expertise from our recruiting staff to make that happen.

If we are playing with pick 5 then the rest of the draft therafter doesn't really matter. I'm only interested in the quality of the top shelf likely to be available, any late gems coming good in hindsight doesn't matter.
Quite clearly it is possible to compare the top shelf this year to other years. My gut feel is this years pick of ours is a lot more speculative say comparing to last years pick for example. As such, I wouldn't mind on-trading as Knightmare suggested. Just my opinion.

10.10am: BREAKING - any talks surrounding Melbourne's Jack Trengove are OFF after he re-injured the navicular bone in his foot.
Trengove had been linked to Richmond and Adelaide in the past few days. [AFL.com]

Feel sorry for the poor kid if that's true - another year out of the game now minimum if he makes it back at all.

On another note (if the news is true) - welcome to Collingwood pick #23. Would there be any chance whatsoever that GC would pick #8 and #14 in exchange for pick #5, #23 and #30 (ie. upgrade from pick 8 to pick 5 to either get the "best of the rest" or one of the top 4 if one of them does slip)?

Three picks inside the top 15 would be very good for us and would dull the pain of losing Beams to some extent.

My gut feel is this years pick of ours is a lot more speculative say comparing to last years pick for example. As such, I wouldn't mind on-trading as Knightmare suggested. Just my opinion.
It might be your opinion, but it's not based on anything but pessimism.

There's no reason to think that the top 5 in the this draft is any weaker than past years, and there's certainly no reason to think that there's any noticeable drop-off in quality after the nominal "Top 4" guys, particularly given that the likelihood is that by the draft, Petracca, Brayshaw, McCartin and Wright probably won't be the first four players drafted.

Is pick 5 too high for de goey? I have had my eyes on him but he is probably between pick 10-15.

For me it's either he or laverde.

Unless one of the top 4 slips to pick 5, then I think we must select a 185cm+ goal kicking mid
I'd pick Laverde ahead of Peter Wright, personally. He's really the most likely to be a Bontempelli-style freak in the draft this year, with the likes of Tom Lamb and Kyle Langford more outside chances to be that guy.

As for De Goey, I'm a huge fan of his, and I think he ends up being one of the bolters of this year. Guys like Ahern, Pickett and even Weller have question marks over their size that De Goey doesn't share - He's big, tough and skillful, and I think there's a decent chance he ends up inside the Top 10.

I don't know why GWS would pick McCartin or Wright. If the Boyd deal doesn't get done then they'll have Patton, Cameron, Boyd and McCarthy as tall forwards. Don't see why they need another key forward. Jaksch is already wanting out because of lack of opportunity in those key positions.

I don't know why GWS would pick McCartin or Wright. If the Boyd deal doesn't get done then they'll have Patton, Cameron, Boyd and McCarthy as tall forwards. Don't see why they need another key forward. Jaksch is already wanting out because of lack of opportunity in those key positions.
I think there's a lot of movement still to come in the AFL draft - As I said, if you look at predictions from this time last year, it was pretty much:

#1 - GWS: Tom Boyd
#2 - GWS: Josh Kelly
#3 - StK: Jack Billings
#4 - WB: James Aish
#5 - GCS: Matt Scharenberg

Obviously, much changed from then on, if that was ever even how things looked in the first place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

189, skilful, looks to have good hands. I'd like laverde. But still very underwhelmed. Shame he missed the combine. Hopefully with the inclusion of varcoe he doesn't need the pace. He didn't seem to have it on videos I watched, but there's a lot more educated people than me to be a judge of that. Not sold on Garlett/Pickett which has been thrown up by a few posters.

It might be your opinion, but it's not based on anything but pessimism.

There's no reason to think that the top 5 in the this draft is any weaker than past years, and there's certainly no reason to think that there's any noticeable drop-off in quality after the nominal "Top 4" guys, particularly given that the likelihood is that by the draft, Petracca, Brayshaw, McCartin and Wright probably won't be the first four players drafted.

I hope you're right.

I'm hoping that picks are involved in the mooted three-way with Melbourne and Geelong - eg. Lumumba and pick 35 to Melbourne, Clark and pick 48 to Geelong, Varcoe and pick 23 to Collingwood.

This shakes out as follows:

Lumumba -> pick 23 (perhaps a little overs but so be it)

Clark -> pick 35 (maybe a little unders, but not by much given the risk)

Varcoe -> pick 48 (Varcoe isn't worth anything more than a third-round pick to us I don't think nor would he be to anyone else)

This would leave us with three picks inside the top 30, which I'd be happy with (along with Moore, Greenwood Varcoe and *gulp* Crisp) - we could throw pick 67 to Melbourne or Geelong steak knives if needed as it probably wouldn't be a live pick for us anyway. From there I presume we'll do a couple of rookie list upgrades towards the end of the ND and then go back into the rookie draft for some gems to stash on the rookie list).

If we go for a straight 3-way swap then I'll probably be even a little more disappointed than I was with the Beams negotiations, because not tying the three trades for Lumumba, Clark and Varcoe together seems to be an obvious course of action at least to me.

Jake lever is our man probably go n.o 1 if not for acl last year,however I would play him midfield not kpp
Don't know much about him but he's very highly rated coming off an ACL. Sounds a bit like Scharenberg and yeah it'd be good if he could become a tall (194cm) mid. Wouldn't be unhappy if we took him.

Don't know much about him but he's very highly rated coming off an ACL. Sounds a bit like Scharenberg and yeah it'd be good if he could become a tall (192cm) mid. Wouldn't be unhappy if we took him.
I mean, ultimately, maybe everything would be fine - Jake Stringer went #5 coming off a broken leg and he's coming along nicely for the Dogs - but I really don't know that I could stomach going through another year of question marks after Scharenberg (and ultimately Freeman) last year.

Is pick 5 too high for de goey? I have had my eyes on him but he is probably between pick 10-15.

For me it's either he or laverde.

Unless one of the top 4 slips to pick 5, then I think we must select a 185cm+ goal kicking mid

I'd love both, if we can somehow convince GC into trading pick 8 & 15 for 5 & 30 (maybe + player x) that would be our best chance.

If any of the "concensus" top 4 drop in the order I suspect it'll be Wright. I can't say who'd take his place but I hope Laverde is available at our first pick. His upside just looks to be huge. Quick, tall, skilled on both sides by foot and very good by hand. The kicker is his freakish ability close to goal and around the ground. If we land him and somehow wind up with say McKenzie or Cockatoo as well I'd think our team will be looking very, very good come 2016/17. We need to add size, footskills and pace to our midfield. Laverde and Cockatoo fit the bill perfectly plus we're still yet to have Scharenberg and Freeman come in. A good draft this year and suddenly the team will be looking much, much better in spite of the loss of Beams.

future mid- thomas,adams,freeman,schazza,pick 5, crips(depending on how he tracks)

Sounds good. But far too much of it is out of control, as other clubs could easily select who we want, ruining that trade completely. Best to keep 5

Yeah I'd thought of that, would be amazing if it happened though, unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back