Bumped Who DON'T you want to draft with your first pick? (2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really nervous about Melbourne's first round pick. If the top 8 goes as per the Herald Sun boys top 8 - Boyd, Kelly, Aish/Billings, KK, Bontempelli, Sharenberg, McDonald then it leaves us looking at Freeman, Lennon, Salem and Couch.

Freeman I love the burst speed but he's not a dominant ball winner or great kick
Lennon looks like a forward to me, just haven't seen enough midfield work for him
Salem does a lot well but I wonder if he'll be not good inside, not quick or gut running enough outside, not physical or tall enough for a gun flanker
Couch - get ball, slam it on the boot types are only good for so much

That said I'd be just as nervous about almost every player outside Boyd. Kelly is thin and his elite endurance gets subdued at top level. Aish is very outside.

Billings is the one I am most comfortable about. He just seems to have a class level to me that means he'll be all class at AFL no matter where he ends up.

Anyone outside of Billings, Aish, Scharenberg or Kolodjashnij (providing Kelly and Boyd are gone) I'll be a bit sceptical on at pick four.

Anyone outside of Billings, Aish, Scharenberg or Kolodjashnij (providing Kelly and Boyd are gone) I'll be a bit sceptical on at pick four.

What if we decide to take Taylor? :p

Obv. won't go pick 4 but McCarthey is a strong do not want. Way too many flaws in his game to warrant a pick north of 20.

I'm also not sold entirely on Billings as he doesn't fill a need for us as much as Scharenberg/KK does.

I find it interesting that Ben Lennon's name is coming up a lot in this thread, because given his kicking ability both with long bombs and snaps, he has a chance to become a serious fan favourite when he hits the AFL. That's not to say that any of the predictions are wrong or unlikely, but Lennon's the type that I'm really hoping makes it, because he projects as an exciting player.

There's more people down on Billings than I can understand too - Never will get that.

There's more people down on Billings than I can understand too - Never will get that.
Probably because he played a lot of this year at 70% fit and lacking conditioning and so-on and didn't give everyone the chance to see him kill it in the midfield, which would have probably assured him of going at no.2.

Don't want Freeman as I don't think he will become half as good as Dangerfield. Just doesnt get that much of the ball and yeah he is quick and all but I feel overrated.

I find it interesting that Ben Lennon's name is coming up a lot in this thread, because given his kicking ability both with long bombs and snaps, he has a chance to become a serious fan favourite when he hits the AFL. That's not to say that any of the predictions are wrong or unlikely, but Lennon's the type that I'm really hoping makes it, because he projects as an exciting player.

That kid has a silky foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No to Taylor and Crouch... actually throw Lennon in for good measure too.

Really want our first pick to be Acres - would be OK with Gardiner or Marsh aswell. I'd actually like it to be Kolodjasnij or Scharenburg but we all know it won't be.

Would love our next picks (32 & 35) to be two out of Lobb (ruck), Impey (small forward), Battersby (small defender) or Robertson (midfielder). If all of that happened then I couldn't care less who we drafted afterwards, we've nailed the ones that counted and can go speculative on what ever positions we missed in the 30's.

Lot of doggies supporters i know have the same view and its completely different to here

Don't Want: Aish, Billings & Kelly

Want: (a risk) in Lennon

Do not want Darcy Gardiner, I think he is over rated because of the KPP depth in this draft. Id love taylor or Marsh.

Yeah but he is still growing and getting stronger, the unconess will go away in time. The bloke has pace to burn a great leap and really good over head, I like him but I can see what your saying.
He reminds me a bit of Gary Rohan I just don't see the need for him, unless you want to play him more off half back

Remove this Banner Ad

Bumped Who DON'T you want to draft with your first pick? (2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back