saintly555

Debutant
May 14, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Maxwell believes that if you played in the first GF and not the second and the team wins you should get a premiership medal.

It's only fair. if you were picked for the first GF side and miss due to an injury in the replay, the player has still contributed to getting the team to the next week and deserves a medal.

If they still gave out a Norm Smith medal despite a lack of a result, than every player in the winning side this week should be given a medal.

Sounds fair enough to me but can you imagine Leon Davis being a premiership player? That would be pretty funny.

i forgot to put it in my first post, but does anyone actually know the rule?
i guess its pretty obvious that you have to play in the winning game but is it written in the laws of the game as that? like, "players playing a grand final will be awarded a medallion" or "players playing on the day of the winning grand final will be awarded a medallion" ?
prob doesnt make sense but you sorta get the idea of what im saying

(Log in to remove this ad.)

more then likely the teams will give out medals to gardiner/davis at b&f nights or the like.

just what i think the teams would do

Perhaps a seperate medal should be given to all players who played in the 2010 draw. Not a GF medal because even though they would have contributed to the team winning it there would also be players who played H + A games who have played neither the draw or the replay. They too played part in the eventual success of the team but won't get any medal at all.

A seperate 2010 draw medal would be alright I reckon because even though it wasn't a win I think it was a pretty special game to be remembered.

It's just another one of the downsides of this rule IMO.

Essentially now even though they call it the 'GF replay', the game was just like an extra preliminary final where both teams got through. Too close to call, so a completely new grand final, including medals only for the second game.

I'd like to see medals and all awarded to anyone who played in either game or both, but to optimise the whole 'replay' effect, the only changes that can be made to the teams can come through legitimate injury.

Every player who played a game this year should get one

I agree with this, although perhaps there can be two medals for the winning team - one for those who played on the day, and another (representing their contributions to getting the team into the GF) for the players in the squad who played during the season.

So hypothetically if Lenny was to miss the game for some reason and St Kilda won, he would be a Norm Smith medalist in a premiership year, yet wouldn't receive a premiership medal.

Stupid.

Not at all. It's just part of the anomaly that is a re-played GF.

If he plays in a winning GF he get's a medal, if not then he misses out like anyone else.

the 22 that play in the replay only, confirmed on ABC radio earlier today

You have to play in a winning Grand Final team to get a medal, not in a drawn one.

Fair dinkum, there are so many clowns around right now wanting to change every rule or situation they think should happen yet they are the same ones saying how great the game is.

I agree with this, although perhaps their can be two medals for the winning team - one for those who played on the day, and another (representing their contributions to getting the team into the GF) for the players in the squad who played during the season.
No way.
If the AFL or any league were to go down that path you're taking away the significance of having played in a GF in the first place.
Further more, could you imagine if Lovett had of played one game for St Kilda this year before his indiscretion? He'd get a Premiership medal around his neck if the Saints got up.

The Players who run out onto the ground are the ones that earn that right to carry a medal and hold the cup, no one else. And why should fringe players, or bit part players get any sort of reward if all they've done is sit in the 2's for half the year, and fill in when there was a few injuries.

Premiership medals don't and shouldn't come easy.

So hypothetically if Lenny was to miss the game for some reason and St Kilda won, he would be a Norm Smith medalist in a premiership year, yet wouldn't receive a premiership medal.

Stupid.

Now that is stupid.

Imagine in the record books or even in a few years:

St Kilda were 2010 Premiers, Hayes won the norm smith that year but has never played in a premiership!

Players who have played over half the games imo.

Makes sense because in some form or other, they've played a fairly big contribution if they've managed that many matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

who gets a premiership medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back