Who has the best midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

In Supercoach scores:

Judd-146, Simpson-118, Murphy-116, Gibbs-108, Carrazzo-96 | Total-584
Ablett-146, Chapman-123, Bartel-115, Selwood-101, Corey-94 | Total-579
Boyd-120, Cooney-110, Griffen-110, Cross-108, Higgins-102 | Total-550
Goddard-123, Montagna-122, Dal Santo-108, Jones-90, Hayes-88 | Total-531

Complete irrelevance.

Think you're being a little harsh on the Blues there. Carlton would easily have one of the top 3-4 midfields in the comp, you just can't go past Judd, Murphy and Gibbs. Just look at the way they tore us to shreds today. Freo should also be higher knowing that you have excluded first year players, Barlow, Hill and Suban are something exciting.

As a matter of fact, mine is:
1st- Geelong
2nd- St. Kilda
3rd- Carlton
4th- Footscray
5th- Collingwood
6th- Hawthorn
7th- Sydney
8th- Brisbane
9th- Adelaide
10th- Fremantle
11th- West Coast
12th- Port Adelaide
13th- Essendon
14th- Melbourne
15th- North Melbourne
16th- Richmond
Good list - but id rate Melbourne's midfield as better than Essendons.

In Supercoach scores:

Judd-146, Simpson-118, Murphy-116, Gibbs-108, Carrazzo-96 | Total-584
Ablett-146, Chapman-123, Bartel-115, Selwood-101, Corey-94 | Total-579
Boyd-120, Cooney-110, Griffen-110, Cross-108, Higgins-102 | Total-550
Goddard-123, Montagna-122, Dal Santo-108, Jones-90, Hayes-88 | Total-531

Yep, Handballs sure do bump up the supercoach scores.

You're only saying that because Collingwood isn't in there you biased idiot. Anyone who pots SC scores is an ill-informed fool.

Ignoring the personal attack but SC scores do have their place in measuring certain aspects of a game, but it's nowhere near the be all and end all.
Joel Bowden ring a bell?

Ignoring the personal attack but SC scores do have their place in measuring certain aspects of a game, but it's nowhere near the be all and end all.
Joel Bowden ring a bell?

Joel Bowden was a great, and wrongly disgraced player. His SC scores were reflective of his ability. I agree it's not the be all and end all, and I never said it was. You said it was 'complete irrelevance' which quite contradicts 'SC scores do have their place in measuring certain aspects of the game'.

My point was if you're just rating clubs on their top 5 midflielders' SC scores (and quite a few of those listed there play their football predominantly in other areas) then it's completely irrelevant. This ignores too many much more relevant factors IMO.

Joel Bowden was a great, and wrongly disgraced player. His SC scores were reflective of his ability. I agree it's not the be all and end all, and I never said it was. You said it was 'complete irrelevance' which quite contradicts 'SC scores do have their place in measuring certain aspects of the game'.

Joel Bowden was a great player and better than people gave him credit but SC would suggest he was one of the best players in the league with the scores he would pull down. SC does have its place, but I think it is better for who had an effective game (even then I wouldn't quote it) and not who has a better midfield.

Top 5 midfields
1 Geelong
2 Saints
3 WB
4 Carl
5 Coll
All strong and deep.

Goodes is a CHF who only has stints in the middle and Jude Bolton should be in ahead of McGlynn.

Also.... Bryce Gibbs is a half back flanker not a midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn third? Hodge plays on a back flank, Rioli in a back pocket and Burgoyne in the physio room.
We are 4th behind Geelong (clear first), St Kilda (clear 2nd) and Bulldogs.
Our midfield is essentially Swan, Pendlebury, Didak, Wellingham, Ball, Thomas, Beams, Sidebottom, Johnson with others rotating through on occasion. Very good mix of inside/outside players and good ball users.
haha your a joke mate, hodge has played every game in the midfield so far, and carved up every game so far in a team thats been losing. Cyril in a back pocket??? Are you crazy, clearly you know nothing about football because he has been playin mid/fwd and is playing at 75% fitness. And if you want to take burgoyne out, fine, but then I'll just replace him with Jordan Lewis who is an absolute gun. This still leaves birchall, ellis, bateman, shiels and young.

haha your a joke mate, hodge has played every game in the midfield so far, and carved up every game so far in a team thats been losing. Cyril in a back pocket??? Are you crazy, clearly you know nothing about football because he has been playin mid/fwd and is playing at 75% fitness. And if you want to take burgoyne out, fine, but then I'll just replace him with Jordan Lewis who is an absolute gun. This still leaves birchall, ellis, bateman, shiels and young.

My mistake about Rioli, clearly meant forward pocket. Will edit.

Hodge has played most of his footy this year on the back flank, most people here have agreed. He has been awesome this season though.
Lewis is an absolute gun? Solid, at best.
Birchall DOES play on a back flank & you know it.
Ellis is OK, hasn't really done much since the 08 grand final (like the whole club I guess)
Bateman has been a major disappointment this year and Shiels is still a pup.
Young still returning from injury but hasn't fired a shot yet.

Hodge had a disposal % of 42 along with 6 clangers. North obviously wanted him with the ball. Hawks midfield isn't in the top 5.

haha north wanted him with the ball are you joking hodgey is 1 of the most damaging users of the footy in the game, and i think even your friend robertg would agree with me here.

I go to every hawks game and I'm very passionate about my footy, Ill admit at the moment hawthorns midfield isn't in the top 5, because we are playing poor football, but when the midfield is up and we get a full team on the park, our team is as damaging as geelongs, and we showed this in 2008.

Now to answer Robert 22, yes hodge plays back flank but the majority of this year he has been in the guts and I know this because he's my fav player and 1 of the very few that is performing for us atm.

Lewis has been very solid and continues to improve he will be a 200+ gamer for us no doubt, and he showed how hard he really is after coming back onto the field against the dogs.

Also this year with most of our backline returning birchall has moved into a mid/wing role and been collecting plenty of the ball, just needs to improve his disposal.

Bateman isn't at full fitness as I'm sure you could tell just from watching along with young and cyril who is going to be an absolute superstar.

And Ellis has been one of our better performers this year and pretty consistent compared to most of the bunch, finds the ball and goes in for it very hard when he doesnt have it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who has the best midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back