Who is an MCC member?

Remove this Banner Ad

CarnthePies said:
Could someone tell me the benefits of being an MCC member?

I'm not an MCC member but I'll try to answer this.

You can attend every sporting event (subject to capacity) at the MCG.

If one is a mad AFL and cricket fan they will easily come out in front over the cost of the membership.

I knew people who went to almost every AFL game that was played there in a season. This was in the days prior to TD and there were 3 games there every weekend. They would then get to go to several finals and possibly the GF (depending on the teams playing).

The cost of membership versus the cost of going to these games as a cash paying patron would represent about a 90% saving! Not to mention the savings they made in cricket season! Although I think they wouldn't have gone as often as cash paying patrons; they were going because it was essentially "free". The same mentality that sees people eat more when they go to an 'all you can eat' buffet.:D

Then there is the inverse. I've known of other friends and family members who might use their membership 2 or 3 times a year. I feel for the real fans waiting for their name to come up when there are these people preventing them from joining the MCC who almost never attend events.

Perhaps they could introduce a USE IT OR LOSE IT policy if the member is Melbourne based.

As for me I've never had much interest in joining for two major reasons: my team rarely plays there and I don't have any interest in cricket. I also don't drink while watching sport and don't really have much interest in attending games when my team isn't playing.

I've watched the odd game from the members and it's certainly a different experience. The lack of yahoos around is a mixed blessing IMO, you're less likely to see fights and be subjected to horrific bogan accents :thumbsu: but more likely to be surrounded by an older, less enthusiastic and less "colourful" group of supporters.:thumbsdown: You miss out on some of the characters who comprise the outer.

The dress code is another thing that annoys me. I'm a little down on having to dress a certain way when sitting outside watching football. Also babes are oppressed there; exposed midriffs are forbidden in the MCC areas.:thumbsdown: :( :D

TheRealComptroller said:
exposed midriffs are forbidden in the MCC areas.:thumbsdown: :( :D

That is a good thing in 99.7% of cases. I'm all for a strict non muffin top policy.

And yes, I am still an MCC member even though I have moved to Qld. Even though I only use it once or twice a year ATM, I keep so I don't have to worry about about a GF ticket for our once a decade thumping.

CarnthePies said:

Automatic entry to all games of AFL and cricket. Sometimes have to queue for the better seats in major finals or boxing day test. Diehards will start queue just before midnight preceding the GF and will get the best seats in the house. You then get a passout with your seat reserved, go and come back when the game starts. Last few years you can still get standing room turning up just before the game start.
Discounted entry to events like the soccer, commonwealth games, tsunami game.
Sit in the shade during the cricket and avoid looking into the sun.
Several bars with full view of the game. Grog in glasses. Better catering.

But overall it is just the knowledge that if you really want to see the GF, you can go.

Dress standard requires a collar on your shirt, used to be long socks with shorts but sandals past muster these days.

Everyone else gets annoyed that the members is not always at capacity but there are enough paid up members such that even though the seat is empty, it has been "paid for".

Good value for another 30 years or hovever long the MCG is guaranteed the GF.

CarnthePies said:
I'm a member.

Following on from Plough.

Arrangements with Telstra Dome and atleast the VRC to get discount tickets to games at the Dome and to the Races.

Women in there aren't too bad either.

chooker said:
I'm a member.

Following on from Plough.

Arrangements with Telstra Dome and atleast the VRC to get discount tickets to games at the Dome and to the Races.

Women in there aren't too bad either.

saw sam lane in there once

You saw Sam Lane? I used to see Caro there all the time a few years back, before the redevelopment we always used to sit behind the interchange bench, and Caro was there all the time, on her own usually. Now though we dont sit there so dano if shes there. I saw Fevola at the cricket last year aswel.

You get 'free entry' (well paid for in your fees) too every AFL/Cricket match, barring the Grand Final which has a small fee if you want a reserved seat. Also, if a game pops up that isn't known before you pay your fees, they will sometimes charge, such as the Australia/Greece Soccer match or the Tsunami cricket match, in which case these cost ~$20 each.

A mate worked it out, the membership pays off if you go to ~15 normal priced matches, but once you start going to the Ashes, and Finals it pays off even more, let alone discounted rates to matches like Australia v Greece aswell.

Yep me.

Best thing about it is the GF. Been to 27 now.

Worst thing is when Melbourne is playing their supporters are the biggest whingers I've ever heard. Geez the 88 GF was great.

You lucky bastartds. I am a 20 year member of the Adelaide Oval, wouldn't give it up for s*it, but gee you guys get a good deal. We get tests and one day games and thats it really. Since the SANFL and the SACA had their spat 30 odd years ago, there is no way AFL will be played here. Not only that but when they built the Chappell stands they allowed thousands of new members in and half the feral population became members and, at the risk of sound elitist, I am afraid the members at Adelaide has become very common.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkk said:
Exactly, thats why I've never understood the elitest taunt that non members use on members.

There is perhaps a little justification for the taunt. Let's face it, a disproportionate number of MCC members attended Melbourne and Geelong's elite private schools. Whatsmore, a disproportionate number of MCC members choose to wear Polo Ralph Lauren (I'm one of them).

But the other side of the ledger is that MCC members come from all walks of life. My cousin attended Belmont High (in Geelong) and is a courier; its a battle for him to come up with the cash but he does it and loves his MCC membership.

pivotal said:
There is perhaps a little justification for the taunt. Let's face it, a disproportionate number of MCC members attended Melbourne and Geelong's elite private schools. Whatsmore, a disproportionate number of MCC members choose to wear Polo Ralph Lauren (I'm one of them).

But the other side of the ledger is that MCC members come from all walks of life. My cousin attended Belmont High (in Geelong) and is a courier; its a battle for him to come up with the cash but he does it and loves his MCC membership.
The fact you need to wear a collar is one of the reasons for the polo shirts.

Its fairly worthless in footy season, since I can't be seated with all my Richmond members mates.

Dumb system.

This year I may have to take out MCC AND full Richmond membership just to be able to sit with the people I want to sit with at the game.

Ghost of Punt Road said:
Its fairly worthless in footy season, since I can't be seated with all my Richmond members mates.

Dumb system.

This year I may have to take out MCC AND full Richmond membership just to be able to sit with the people I want to sit with at the game.
I don't know how the Richmond membership works, but previously I've gone in with mates who aren't members, gone through the members and then used my passout to head around to another part of the ground.

I was, and gave it up this year. Waste of money for me to be honest. $500 per year (actually a bit more) for something I never used except for the grand final, and even then you aren’t guaranteed a seat (like you used to be when it was half that price about 5 years ago). Instead, I buy a GF preference membership from my club, which guarantees me a ticket for the GF, costs less, is used more and the money goes to the club.

Yeah mine was a christening present, came in last year at 18. Used it once.

But plan to make much use of it when I move to Melbourne one day.

Went to the Richmond game this year just because of the membership and saw Hirdy play the best I've seen him live.

Was well worth it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is an MCC member?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back