Coach Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
15/8 Board toppled (reportedly will pursue Clarkson)
19/8 Alastair Clarkson to join North
21/8 Ben Rutten sacked
22/8 Coach selection sub-committee to be established to find a replacement
26/8 Committee members announced: Josh Mahoney (GM-Footy, chair), Dorothy Hisgrove (Board member), Andrew Thorburn, Simone McKinnis, Robert Walls, Jordan Lewis
7/9 James Hird, Dean Solomon, Brendon Lade, Adem Yze interviewed at EY
13/9 Daniel Giansiracusa reportedly interviewed
17/9 Don Pyke “not pursuing that at this stage”
21/9 Brad Scott contacted by the club but won’t make a decision on whether to pursue the role until after the Grand Final
21/9 Adem Yze has second interview and tours the training facilities at Tullamarine
22/9 Blake Caracella will put his hat in the ring
27/9 Brendon Lade appointed as assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs, out of the running for Essendon job
28/9 Brad Scott to be interviewed on Thursday
29/9

Last edited:
Ben Rutten is a candidate with a few years under his belt and is now available, he was interested as of last night.

if McVeigh or Solomon didn’t play for the club, we would even be considering them?

Enough of that. If we go down that path, bloody hell.
McVeigh outcoached Rutten pretty comprehensively a few weeks ago.

There are worse options in my opinion.

Agree...McVeigh is super impressive and articulate.

One thing I've noticed that Rutten never does is talk about key statistics from the game that had an impact. I'm guessing its either because he doesn't know them, he's not articulate enough to add context around them or he isn't intelligent enough to understand their consequence.

Considering Carracella's long list of success at a number of different places I'd be ok with that. Especially if we added someone like Lyon to bring a more no-nonsense attitude to each game. I mean appointing Lyon in a senior assistant role, but we'd have to not only beat his media pay cheque, we'd have to also compensate the extra time and effort he'd be putting in compared to that.
If he doesn’t make an immediate impact he’ll be sniped just like the last five. Might as well pick the guy you dislike the most

There are worse options in my opinion.
He and his offsiders are all likely to watch Essendon more often than other clubs and it’s not like it’s hard to beat us, the blueprint has been there since round 1

Ideal Panel:

Senior Coach: Ken Hinkley
Assistants: Dustin Fletcher (Defence), Brent Stanton (Midfield), Michael Hurley (Forward)
Opposition Analyst: Daniel Giansiracusa

VFL Coach: Blake Caracella

He and his offsiders are all likely to watch Essendon more often than other clubs and it’s not like it’s hard to beat us, the blueprint has been there since round 1
Fair.

Just looking at the pool of available options, I’d be a lot more comfortable with McVeigh than say, uh, Matthew Knights…

I’d say he is off the table regardless considering we’ve came out and said we want an experienced coach… But jeez that is slim pickings.

I’d say he is off the table regardless considering we’ve came out and said we want an experienced coach… But jeez that is slim pickings.

Well...McVeigh actually has more experience as a senior coach than Rutten did when we hired him.

In fact, Rutten only has 1 year more experience than Rutten in general.

Fair.

Just looking at the pool of available options, I’d be a lot more comfortable with McVeigh than say, uh, Matthew Knights…

Slim pickings indeed. If they wanted to do this they should’ve done it six months ago and gone through a proper process… now it’s really too late.

Brad Scott is the least silly thing I’ve heard and it’s still more ridiculous than hanging on to Truck until mid-next year and seeing what the review says.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheedy and the old guard have everything to lose from gambling like this, if they sign Hird and the dons don't improve next year and the year after they'll have lost whatever credibility they have left and they'll be untenable. You could say the same with any coach they sign really. A lot of fans are already calling for their heads, they don't care, but the board say they're focused on quick success, so we'll see what happens I guess.

So does the media get behind the Hird for coach push now? Be interesting to see if/when the narrative moves in that direction. ..

Sheedy and the old guard have everything to lose from gambling like this, if they sign Hird and the dons don't improve next year and the year after they'll have lost whatever credibility they have left and they'll be untenable. You could say the same with any coach they sign really. A lot of fans are already calling for their heads, they don't care, but the board say they're focused on quick success, so we'll see what happens I guess.

I don't get why we would go back down that road. Obviously mental health is not a consideration.

I just listened to Spikes press conferences and I think hes actually really impressive. Calls it exactly how it is. His press conference after the Sydney loss was refreshingly honest...more honest in one interview than Rutten has been in 2 years.
I'd have zero faith that anyone even tangentially connected to Essendon getting the job wasn't just some stunt to appease the coteries.

Show up at the game? Not the most difficult blueprint to follow

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I don't mind Leon Cameron or Don Pyke as shouts. Cameron had the cattle in regard of top end talent, they probably under achieved with the lists he was in charge of, Pyke as Lore mentioned, seems to be well rated and very well may be highly sought after soon.
…So you like how Cameron underachieved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back