Coach Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
15/8 Board toppled (reportedly will pursue Clarkson)
19/8 Alastair Clarkson to join North
21/8 Ben Rutten sacked
22/8 Coach selection sub-committee to be established to find a replacement
26/8 Committee members announced: Josh Mahoney (GM-Footy, chair), Dorothy Hisgrove (Board member), Andrew Thorburn, Simone McKinnis, Robert Walls, Jordan Lewis
7/9 James Hird, Dean Solomon, Brendon Lade, Adem Yze interviewed at EY
13/9 Daniel Giansiracusa reportedly interviewed
17/9 Don Pyke “not pursuing that at this stage”
21/9 Brad Scott contacted by the club but won’t make a decision on whether to pursue the role until after the Grand Final
21/9 Adem Yze has second interview and tours the training facilities at Tullamarine
22/9 Blake Caracella will put his hat in the ring
27/9 Brendon Lade appointed as assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs, out of the running for Essendon job
28/9 Brad Scott to be interviewed on Thursday
29/9

Last edited:
That’s why you gotta clear out the top 3rd and find a new CEO with a backbone - a la Brendan Gale.

Gale was a unicorn... a respected footy executive who played for the club, so had the respect of the mouth breathers in the coteries etc.

I'm not sure that person exists for us. It's okay to have a backbone but we've shown that even if you do have one, you'll just be sacked when things get a bit hard.

This has done massive, massive damage to the club... there is no silver bullet for us.

I think there can be a tendency to associate coaches playing styles to how they'd coach a team.
Worsfold's eagles weren't a particularly ruthless tough team. Yet Roos' Swans were.
Goodwin's Dees don't really reflect on the player he was either.

We brought Worsfold in as an elder statesman to heal a broken club. Then turfed him just as he started to turn that round, which undid most of his work.
Enter Rutten and we back a bold new era with a small r rebuild. that lasts 2 years before it causes another break.

I took worsfold as a coach who empowered the players to set their own standards - clearly this only works for a self motivating, highly driven bunch. He picked the wrong crew for that, standards flailed and he checked out

images

Agree. His only mistake was using collective minds to try and find an edge and "the" camp. Has a very good coaching record outside that. If we want experienced he is the one now.
picked up the Crows in the worst possible situation imaginable too. So a lot of credit in the bank for that, even with the camp

To get that group to a GF 18m later was a job well done. I'd have no issues with Pyke.

But I'm really leaning towards one of 4 - Leppa, Kingsley, Gia or Cara.

Gale was a unicorn... a respected footy executive who played for the club, so had the respect of the mouth breathers in the coteries etc.

I'm not sure that person exists for us. It's okay to have a backbone but we've shown that even if you do have one, you'll just be sacked when things get a bit hard.

This has done massive, massive damage to the club... there is no silver bullet for us.
We have plenty of former players that have gone into business, surely one of them has a few brain cells left after their playing days?

Finding one to coach is trickier but an NFP CEO role should have a bigger pool of candidates.

This is not the sentiment of a lot of the North staff, in hindsight. Shaw was a total disaster and his only redeeming feature was that he was every players best mate. Scott actually has a system and gameplan.

Yes, Bard Scottss gameplan centered around a zone defense when every other top team in the comp was playing a massive pressure/ turnover type defense. It was great going to games when we were playing against top sides where they would continually slice through our defense like butter because of their skill level and our lack of pressure.

He also had this fascination of drafting quality midfielders and turning them into half back flankers.

The current state of our list has a lot to do with Bard Scotts.

We need to commit to the process and what ever comes out the other end will be the answer.
I would like to see an assertive coach appointed - not a raving lunatic. A coach that can effectively manage people above and below, who can implement a game style that is built on a defensive foundation and is recognisable to us on game day.
An example of how I see a coach's style and game plan being reflected by the players would be below.
Voss = Fight, competitiveness, uncompromising
Rutten = Soft, emotionless, uncompetitive

I think we need to identify the KPI parameters around successful sides in the most recent past and use these KPI's as a tool when the sub committee goes through the candidates.
What does Essendon stand for, what are the values we live by everyday and establish pillars for success.

Now whoever fits those as an example should get the job.

I would like to see Choco at our club in a skills and player development role. Also some senior assistance who have had or been around success.

Last edited:
picked up the Crows in the worst possible situation imaginable too. So a lot of credit in the bank for that, even with the camp

To get that group to a GF 18m later was a job well done. I'd have no issues with Pyke.

Gia & Cara are already at the club, not sure they'll suddenly be able to fix the malaise that's already set in.

He is an interesting profile. It seems Kingsley is well reputed and sounds like he is often in the final 3(or so ) candidates but never gets the nod.
I wonder if one thing or more than ends up holding him back ?

I see he used to play for our VFL side, so that could sate the "boys club ". One of us after all 😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. His only mistake was using collective minds to try and find an edge and "the" camp. Has a very good coaching record outside that. If we want experienced he is the one now.
I think he is a fine coach. But to me the collective minds camp was a clear case of psychological abuse and a huge breach of trust. I would not want anyone who signed off on that near our club given our previous issues with governance.

We need an external review that produces a 10 year plan and roots out anyone who is too myopic, self-centred or rearward focused to get on board with it.

Then you find a coach to suit.
Unfortunately our board members generally do not have ten years left to live so are considerably more short sighted

In theory. But not when they hold all the cards. It is not like it is a real democracy or anything.

They should reshoot "the club" and have them play in Essendon jumpers.
An old ex coach protective of his record, ageing captain trying to hang on, slimy admin, rich fans trying to buy their own piece of history. Tick tick tick tick

i can’t find a Tank O’Donoughue with a bit of mongrel anywhere on the list.

He also had this fascination of drafting quality midfielders and turning them into half back flankers.
We call that the “reverse Dodoro” around these parts.

We have plenty of former players that have gone into business, surely one of them has a few brain cells left after their playing days?

Finding one to coach is trickier but an NFP CEO role should have a bigger pool of candidates.
Andrew Welsh is a very successful guy outside of footy.

Pretty critical of the current board though, so not sure they would want him. He would be first picked on any board ticket I'd put together to challenge though.

I took worsfold as a coach who empowered the players to set their own standards - clearly this only works for a self motivating, highly driven bunch. He picked the wrong crew for that, standards flailed and he checked out

The players wanted to be coached harder, they said that. And they all responded to Truck, we had a great season beyond what anybody thought possible.

Then we had a shit year this year. What happened? Who knows. But let's sack him before we work it out.

I can't believe there's still people going on and on about how we need a "tough coach" or somebody "strict" bla bla bla

It's not 1970... we're not looking for Ron Barassi.

Those coaches simply do not exist any more. Somebody like Lyon seems to have a bit of this reputation among some. I don't know, maybe because he played a defensive game plan or something? Lyon wasn't some ranter and raver who would tear strips of his players. He was very, very close to his players. That's how he got effort out of them, and how most coaches get effort out of them. His players weren't scared of him. Fear doesn't work as a motivator. It might work once, then players get over being yelled at and either tell the coach to * off or just tune out.

Look at recent premiership coaches. Goodwin, Hardwick, Simpson, Beveridge, Clarkson, Longmire, Scott. Despite what some thing, none were traditionally "tough" coaches who ruled by fear. All were tremendously close with their players.
The reason the old school tough coaches went out of fashion is they started losing games to the next generation of relationship based coaches.

Is it possible to sign our new coach on a 3-week contract?

After all, that's how long it takes our board to decide a coach isn't the right one and that way we can avoid a huge pay out.
We could innovate, bring in a five-coach panel where they coach four games each and the captain can do the last two as a captain-coach.

If
You do know the team went on to lose 2 of their next 3 games (they only beat us) and won 4 of 12 games for the season that he coached?

Talking tough =/= winning games

You listen to the interview McVeigh describes that its very difficult to implement change half way through a season. He also describes how the players have checked out and only a few are leading by example.

If Rutten showed this level of understanding and honesty I think he would have stayed on. McVeigh is holding the club and players accountable, thats something Rutten would never do.

I trust that attitude and approach would go a long way to build trust/respect within a group with setting the right standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back