Coach Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
15/8 Board toppled (reportedly will pursue Clarkson)
19/8 Alastair Clarkson to join North
21/8 Ben Rutten sacked
22/8 Coach selection sub-committee to be established to find a replacement
26/8 Committee members announced: Josh Mahoney (GM-Footy, chair), Dorothy Hisgrove (Board member), Andrew Thorburn, Simone McKinnis, Robert Walls, Jordan Lewis
7/9 James Hird, Dean Solomon, Brendon Lade, Adem Yze interviewed at EY
13/9 Daniel Giansiracusa reportedly interviewed
17/9 Don Pyke “not pursuing that at this stage”
21/9 Brad Scott contacted by the club but won’t make a decision on whether to pursue the role until after the Grand Final
21/9 Adem Yze has second interview and tours the training facilities at Tullamarine
22/9 Blake Caracella will put his hat in the ring
27/9 Brendon Lade appointed as assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs, out of the running for Essendon job
28/9 Brad Scott to be interviewed on Thursday
29/9

Last edited:
Could there be more than one appointment made here? Hird's people skills and knowledge of Essendon used to support new senior coach in a different role?

Can you imagine this. “Congrats you got the job!

Oh by the way James Hird is your new assistant, that totally won’t make your position less stable at all. Believe us.”

Oh by the way James Hird is your new assistant, that totally won’t make your position less stable at all. Believe us.”
I’m trying to figure out what the heck a “split role” looks like and 🤯

Stupid twitter accounts aside you can basically have a director of coaching and/or a senior assistant to support a senior coach, and you can have line coaches and strategists and statisticians. But they’re all support roles, idk how you split it down further than that. Handover concept clearly not a good thing (not at Essendon anyway). Splitting the GM-Footy into Ops and Performance clearly not a good thing.

Idk why the club feels this incessant need to invent more roles all the time. It’s not like we have a bigger budget than any of the other clubs, so having more roles means less money for the rest, or cutting from somewhere else, neither of which feel like a good idea.

That said: Are there any sports that have two in that role? I know some sports have a team manager, but that’s effectively analogous to a coach, you don’t have both. But I’m not super across a lot of other sports so maybe there’s one somewhere that has multiple senior coach type roles 🤔

I’m trying to figure out what the heck a “split role” looks like and 🤯

Stupid twitter accounts aside you can basically have a director of coaching and/or a senior assistant to support a senior coach, and you can have line coaches and strategists and statisticians. But they’re all support roles, idk how you split it down further than that. Handover concept clearly not a good thing (not at Essendon anyway). Splitting the GM-Footy into Ops and Performance clearly not a good thing.

Idk why the club feels this incessant need to invent more roles all the time. It’s not like we have a bigger budget than any of the other clubs, so having more roles means less money for the rest, or cutting from somewhere else, neither of which feel like a good idea.

That said: Are there any sports that have two in that role? I know some sports have a team manager, but that’s effectively analogous to a coach, you don’t have both. But I’m not super across a lot of other sports so maybe there’s one somewhere that has multiple senior coach type roles 🤔

There’s actually a lot of merit in splitting the GM footy role and a lot of clubs would have a similar setup in all but name.

There is a LOT of admin that needs to be done in a footy dept, and you want the right kind of anally retentive types doing it, and it doesn’t have a hell of a lot to do with being a good footy manager who needs to know the game, judge coaches, game plans, players, recruiting and everything else.

There’s actually a lot of merit in splitting the GM footy role and a lot of clubs would have a similar setup in all but name.

There is a LOT of admin that needs to be done in a footy dept, and you want the right kind of anally retentive types doing it, and it doesn’t have a hell of a lot to do with being a good footy manager who needs to know the game, judge coaches, game plans, players, recruiting and everything else.
As you say a few clubs have done it now. Melbourne have Alan Richardson as GM of football performance and Tim Lamb as list manager covering that side of things.

Was an oblique reference to the saga and blurry lines of authority.

Found a wiki article about managers in European/British soccer and it talks about them doing all the senior coach stuff, but also the gm-footy stuff and the list managing and transfers stuff.

As a sport though their squad is way smaller and their transfer systems don’t involve draft picks so it’s probably a little more straight forward for one person to do.

But that said I guess our GM-Footy role is split with Mahoney and Dodoro 🤪

And then of course we have 5 teams, not 1.

If Hird's not appointed as senior coach now he never will be. Any appointment of Hird to another role will not make the new senior coach's appointment any less tenuous if there's no on-field coaching success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it was commonly accepted that there are guys who are good assistants.

Bomber got us to defend. Only 3 sides conceded less in 2014.
Bomber is the single coach in the past 20 years who had us as a genuinely good defensive side.

The unfortunate trade off was that they just couldn’t score, though.

Bomber is the single coach in the past 20 years who had us as a genuinely good defensive side.

The unfortunate trade off was that they just couldn’t score, though.
Would have been fascinating to see if that might have come in subsequent years.

Third time lucky with a Hird appointment I guess they're hoping.

I still think that we don't have the list or the synergy right at all, which seems harsh, but the top 8 sides usually have a high percentage of strong bodied, adaptable, natural footy players, and our senior players have been woeful over the last ten years, aside from Merrett and a few others.

Sure bring in a new coach, but we've seen over the last 12 years that it doesn't solve the core problems.

I'm not a fan of Dodoro's recruiting record either. He just can't get the balance right at all, but i think it's been a few other departments that have struggled as well, not just recruitment.

I still think that we don't have the list or the synergy right at all, which seems harsh, but the top 8 sides usually have a high percentage of strong bodied, adaptable, natural footy players, and our senior players have been woeful over the last ten years, aside from Merrett and a few others.

Sure bring in a new coach, but we've seen over the last 12 years that it doesn't solve the core problems.

I'm not a fan of Dodoro's recruiting record either. He just can't get the balance right at all, but i think it's been a few other departments that have struggled as well, not just recruitment.
Our biggest issue is our forward pressure and lack of a genuine speedy small pressure forward (aka Papley, Bolton type). Losing
Tippa was huge.

With zero forward pressure the ball rebounds so easily which makes our defence look much worse than it probably is.

I'm on the Hird train. We need our soul back, and no one cares for the club more than James. I think he has that fire in the belly.

At the end of the day, I will back the coach we select (unless its Pyke or Scott... i would lose my s*t). Yze is my #2 preference.
Can confirm that if you sliced into Hird’s guts and opened him up, you’d find a literal bonfire smouldering away.

I thought it was commonly accepted that there are guys who are good assistants.

Bomber got us to defend. Only 3 sides conceded less in 2014.
Yet Bomber said we needed to have a stronger team defense at the end of 2014. Not just about points conceded. Plus we had AA KP defenders then.
My real point was some here where saying he could not do anything over 4 years with us. 2 of those years where as an assistant.

This has been the funniest thread on my time in BF. Well done everyone! 😆
You missed the whole
I’ve been firmly against bringing Hird back. But there is part of me that wonders if he could have been a great coach, and it would be great that if in some Parallel universe he got the job.

But then it occurred to me, what if this is the parallel universe? It’s certainly beginning to feel like a parallel universe.

No, just the one wage. EFC pays him 500K, we give him some new polo shirts & hoodies, plus free off street parking.
I believe we're still contracted to supply Truck with Wallpaper Wednesday content for another 12 months as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back