Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would become even more obvious if they happened to lose one of Curnow and McKay. Imagine if Fly had those 2 guys
They’d be looking at 3 flags in a row.

Our inability to play dangerous attacking footy with those two out there is mindboggling.

You could see in the first quarter if they got service they were going to have big nights. Instead for the rest of the game it barely went in there and when it did it was bombed into them with defenders everywhere.

Pies should've won by more then but they didn't, our 3 losses have been by 2-13 and 6 points, if we are a long way off then we can fix it.
Yep, Pies are still building into the season, almost let another game slip...a strong opponent would have punsihed us.

3 of Carlton's wins have been pretty unispiring against mediocre teams - Lions, Tigers and Freo were all games where Carlton were meh. Good teams bank points and all that.

Carlton need to start producing some better performances against the decent teams over the next month...or the "hot start" will be proven to be pretty mediocre and just luck of a soft start (AFL loves the Carlton hype machine).

Yep, Pies are still building into the season, almost let another game slip...a strong opponent would have punsihed us.

3 of Carlton's wins have been pretty unispiring against mediocre teams - Lions, Tigers and Freo were all games where Carlton were meh. Good teams bank points and all that.

Carlton need to start producing some better performances against the decent teams over the next month...or the "hot start" will be proven to be pretty mediocre and just luck of a soft start (AFL loves the Carlton hype machine).

I still reckon GWS and Sydney are the two best atm.

Pies haven't hit their peak yet and Geelong is just rolling along atm.

Then you have a glut of teams who can bob up for elite periods at a time and look unbeatable and at other times look very ehhhh eg Dees, Lions, Blues, Port

Reckon we'll get a better picture after split rounds.

88 tackles to 54 is a fair bit to make up, not to mention the inside 50s

Blues are a long way off, too predictable and lacking intensity

Back to the drawing board, need some modern tactics

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We have been a top two tackling team this year in the comp and first for tackles i50. So hopefully this is just an outlier

I still reckon GWS and Sydney are the two best atm.

Pies haven't hit their peak yet and Geelong is just rolling along atm.

Then you have a glut of teams who can bob up for elite periods at a time and look unbeatable and at other times look very ehhhh eg Dees, Lions, Blues, Port

Reckon we'll get a better picture after split rounds.

We should be fine, beat GWS, lost close games to Pies and Cats, with players still returning

Only getting 30 i50s is a testament to Collingwood’s ability to keep it out of your forward line! It’s not a stat to hang your hat on.
The poster said that was Carlton at their best - that is what I was disputing. Carlton at their best are able to win the ball effectively out of the middle (we didn't) and win the territory battle (we didn't).

Only getting 30 i50s is a testament to Collingwood’s ability to keep it out of your forward line! It’s not a stat to hang your hat on.
Pies beat us at our own game after quarter time along with playing their own slingshot style.

Really unsure how we even got within 6 points.

We couldn’t get our hands on it.

I think we got Carlton’s best shot last night. In the first quarter it felt like little brother asking the question, ‘are we good enough?’. Big brother let them know that they’re not. I suspect that’s what the blues got out of the game, I think it’ll be downhill from here for Carlton
And you did it without DeGoey, add 2-3 goals with Jordan playing.

The poster said that was Carlton at their best - that is what I was disputing. Carlton at their best are able to win the ball effectively out of the middle (we didn't) and win the territory battle (we didn't).
Collingwood denied you playing your best - which was my point.

It was the best you could do against Collingwood - it’s still your best. And I doubt every Carlton player didn’t give their best last night. Yeah?

We were awful and Collingwood deserved to win. Should've smacked us by 8 goals.

Still time to turn it around. Plenty of teams have had average starts to finish the year with success - Geelong were 5-3 in 2022 then won the flag. But I'm not holding my breath, don't think we're there this year. Need to clear out the injury prone cloggers along with Zac Williams.

Credit to the Pies, they knew how to beat us after Q1 and executed. Daicos is a freak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood denied you playing your best - which was my point.

It was the best you could do against Collingwood - it’s still your best. And I doubt every Carlton player didn’t give their best last night. Yeah?
The poster said Carlton gave it their best shot. Being out tackled by 30 and losing inside 50s by 25 is not Carlton's best shot. They were dissapointing on the night and at a teams best they are able to deal with pressure and be more composed with ball in hand. Some players performed at an acceptable level but most did not

Personally I can’t choose my favourite egg on face moment for Blues supporters last night

Was it:
1. Princess Nicky Daicos showing up their entire midfield especially Walsh in key moments and winning the game on his boot?
2. After crying injury all year, going on to lose to a more hampered Collingwood team?
3. Following on from 2, the replacement Pies players who are of lower quality than Carlton’s depth in Harrison and Sullivan playing big parts in the win?
4. The terrible Darcy Moore who concedes 5 goals on his own every week killing Charlie Curnow in every one on one the two faced?
5. Streaming out of the G by the thousands while the game is still in play with a chance for their team to still salvage a result, a mirror image of round 23, 2022?

Spoiled for choices
I like to add another point

6. All of the above.

I choose number 6

88 tackles to 54 is a fair bit to make up, not to mention the inside 50s

Blues are a long way off, too predictable and lacking intensity

Back to the drawing board, need some modern tactics

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Collingwood didn't smack us. We arent "a long way off" , but if you think they are, well that doesn't say much about Collingwoods chances either

Collingwood didn't smack us. We arent "a long way off" , but if you think they are, well that doesn't say much about Collingwoods chances either
We were the better side, your backline however were terrific , probably Williams aside who had a bit of a stinker. Weitering and co kept you guys in it, Walsh was very good early but probably Daicos worked him over in the end maybe due to Walshs limited game time and match fitness.

It was a great game but I think most will agree the better team won on the night

We were the better side, your backline however were terrific , probably Williams aside who had a bit of a stinker. Weitering and co kept you guys in it, Walsh was very good early but probably Daicos worked him over in the end maybe due to Walshs limited game time and match fitness.

It was a great game but I think most will agree the better team won on the night
Better team won on the night for sure and our defence held up okay but their inability to move the ball effectively out of D50 was one of the major reasons we lost the game. But it's hard to expect much when we are running Cowan, Cincotta, Young and Boyd who haven't played much footy together and then lose Williams who is one of the more experienced heads during the game. That is the area we need to improve going into the next few rounds - how we transition the ball from D50 to F50

For corn cobbers to say we are a long way off is just plain wrong - he also said that walsh was crap so maybe he is just hungover. Walsh wasn't going toe to toe with Daicos either. Hewett was.
Williams was junk.
Collingwood defended the corridor extremely well ( exactly where we like to play through) and our players were in panic mode for large periods of the match when the pies were pressing.
I think fly outcoached Voss again with the tactics at stoppages getting his blockers in the way of Cripps to minimise his impact.
We move on and try again next week. Personally don't think it's the end of the world at this point even if we go 5 and 5. It's as even a season as I have ever seen it

True that the scoreboard was close although my thoughts watching were that Collingwood had fewer passengers and it was more individual brilliance and generally making the most of their chances that kept Carlton close. Collingwood also missed a few that you'd expect them to kick in the last. As a neutral watching live I always felt that Collingwood had that extra gear to lift and were going to win.

For corn cobbers to say we are a long way off is just plain wrong - he also said that walsh was crap so maybe he is just hungover. Walsh wasn't going toe to toe with Daicos either. Hewett was.
Williams was junk.
Collingwood defended the corridor extremely well ( exactly where we like to play through) and our players were in panic mode for large periods of the match when the pies were pressing.
I think fly outcoached Voss again with the tactics at stoppages getting his blockers in the way of Cripps to minimise his impact.
We move on and try again next week. Personally don't think it's the end of the world at this point even if we go 5 and 5. It's as even a season as I have ever seen it
Well as Pete Daicos showed in hes box last night, nothing wrong with celebrating and having a good time. It was a great game and it was just an ending which would of had a few Carlton posters here shaking there heads when Nick slotted truly at the end.

I just think as we had so much F50 time in the game it just allowed our structure behind the ball. Moore and Frampton were able to pick off most long balls.

Macrae did coach well, he threw Pendles and Crisp at occasions on Cripps at the stoppage, you’ve got to throw your big boys on Cripps as he’s far too powerful at the stoppage which then gives Walsh and Cerra quick ball to Charlie & Harry.

Probably didn’t learn anything new though. Both sides are going to be there come the business end along with the 2 Sydney sides, Geelong and probably Melbourne.

It’s not all doom and gloom though for you guys, I just did a ladder predictor and Carlton make the GF!!

Get beaten though by a better side on the day . 😜

Well as Pete Daicos showed in hes box last night, nothing wrong with celebrating and having a good time. It was a great game and it was just an ending which would of had a few Carlton posters here shaking there heads when Nick slotted truly at the end.

I just think as we had so much F50 time in the game it just allowed our structure behind the ball. Moore and Frampton were able to pick off most long balls.

Macrae did coach well, he threw Pendles and Crisp at occasions on Cripps at the stoppage, you’ve got to throw your big boys on Cripps as he’s far too powerful at the stoppage which then gives Walsh and Cerra quick ball to Charlie & Harry.

Probably didn’t learn anything new though. Both sides are going to be there come the business end along with the 2 Sydney sides, Geelong and probably Melbourne.

It’s not all doom and gloom though for you guys, I just did a ladder predictor and Carlton make the GF!!

Get beaten though by a better side on the day . 😜
Yeah just think Macrae had the better game plan on the day and beat us soundly, it was just the three pronged attack of H, Charlie and TDK that kept us in it + our prime movers

That last goal from Nick was just such a Carlton way to lose a match hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back