Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Carlton will slide to potentially 10-12. Over performed last year and were lucky to get as far as they did. A few key players for them don’t like the heat in the kitchen.
This is exactly what people were saying about Collingwood after last season.

This is exactly what people were saying about Collingwood after last season.
They were obviously going to be wrong and blinded by what they wanted to happen vs. what would actually happen.

The Magpies lost by a point in the preliminary final, and added a key forward, small forward, ball-winning midfielder and a depth utility. They were never not going to finish top four at the minimum. Plus the development of Daicos into a top player in the game was inevitable. If Carlton can add three best 22 players and have one of their youngsters become generational, then they'll be a chance of doing the same as Collingwood.

I think Carlton will slide to potentially 10-12. Over performed last year and were lucky to get as far as they did. A few key players for them don’t like the heat in the kitchen.
Didn't have our best player available until round 7 , so if we get a full season from sam walsh , Carlton should over perform yet again.

Blues will get a harder draw next year which means Charlie (the overrated scab that he is) won't get to beat up on bottom four sides nearly as often.
Because of this he will probably kick less than 50 goals and the Blues finish around 10th.
Will play Collingwood twice so there's 10 goals guaranteed

Ask oleg markov

Weird how when I started this thread a couple of days ago it got deleted then another one pops up and it stays 😂

Ps: I’m going with Collingwood.

Carlton in a similar spot to where they were in 2011 , full of pride for almost making a prelim, Judd + number 1 pick brigade hitting their prime . All their fans up and about full of hope.

I reckon we'll see a similar finals hangover and fade , they overachieved this year (in part cause Melbourne choked), back to middle of the road for 2024 and eventually back to mediocrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox just signed for 2 years and pendles is playing on as well
If Adams has an injury riddled season or finds himself in the VFL at various stages, I could see him announcing his retirement next season.

Given Cox started his career very late, I could see him playing until he is 35 assuming he continues to play well in the ruck. Pendles and Sidey will play for another 2 seasons each.

Howe might finish up next season as it took him considerable time to regain top form after coming back from his car wreck injury. I think that injury alone may be a factor when deciding his future at the end of next season. Unfortunately he has lost his leap since coming back

Carlton in a similar spot to where they were in 2011 , full of pride for almost making a prelim, Judd + number 1 pick brigade hitting their prime . All their fans up and about full of hope.

I reckon we'll see a similar finals hangover and fade , they overachieved this year (in part cause Melbourne choked), back to middle of the road for 2024 and eventually back to mediocrity.

Nothing like it.

Carlton for starters never made a preliminary final.

Also this team is WAY different in its approach. Almost the complete opposite.
Back in 2011, it was all about the star players and them carrying the team on their back. This year, it was the role players delivering at the back end of the year (e.g. Acres, Cottrell, Hollands).

The team missed finals the following year after dealing with a huge injury list where players were missing huge chunks of the season with 6-8 week injuries.
The club also had a horrible list management team, screwing up several picks in the draft, failing to attend to the development programs and landing very few mature-aged recruits in the trade period
There was a hierarchical stench those years. It was hanging onto the hope the same star players will do all the work. No proper team mindset.

I don't know about what today's squad is capable of, nor would anyone else know. But one thing is for certain, they carry a younger core group, are hungrier and see their teammates being of equal importance. This is nothing I have ever seen before in my 20 years as a blues supporter.

Blues will get a harder draw next year which means Charlie (the overrated scab that he is) won't get to beat up on bottom four sides nearly as often.
Because of this he will probably kick less than 50 goals and the Blues finish around 10th.

Okay first things first.

The hard draw argument can be immediately be destroyed as Carlton faced the fellow top 8 teams more than any of the other contenders this year. Included facing Pies, Dees, Giants and Saints twice.

Secondly, This Curnow-bashing crap has too stop. No doubt he was poor in the finals and has to wear it. But then again, so was much of the Carlton forward line. It was the mids and wingers surprisingly getting the team over the line to reach as far as the prelim. Just another thing the team has to work on if they want to go two steps further next year.

Want an idea of how good Curnow can be... sit back a watch the round 23 match against the Suns from quarter time for what became one of the most impactful performances from a key forward this year.

The round 20 game was a fair indication of where these two sides are at both now and in the future.

Blues by 6-10 ladder positions.
Nah, I think last Saturday is a fair indication.

In saying that, I’m going to have to go with the reigning premiers, Collingwood, to finish higher than the team who #blueshaked a 5 goal lead to Brisbane.

Want an idea of how good Curnow can be... sit back a watch the round 23 match against the Suns from quarter time for what became one of the most impactful performances from a key forward this year.
I did watch the round 23 match against the Suns, and i did watch a gun forward tear apart the Suns that day, however he didn't play for the Blues.

But your argument that Charlie turns up against the Suns is the same argument i am making. He dominates against weak bottom four teams, and shits the bed when the pressure gets turned up.

Absolute squib he is.

I did watch the round 23 match against the Suns, and i did watch a gun forward tear apart the Suns that day, however he didn't play for the Blues.

But your argument that Charlie turns up against the Suns is the same argument i am making. He dominates against weak bottom four teams, and shits the bed when the pressure gets turned up.

Absolute squib he is.

Only one gun forward dominated turned that game on its head... and they played for the blues. Make sure you get your year correct.

Suns a bottom four club? Their best is an absolute challenge to take on. Especially at their home ground. I seem to recall them dominating the runner-up this year.

Absolute squib? ❌️ WRONG! Try again.

Only one gun forward dominated turned that game on its head... and they played for the blues. Make sure you get your year correct.

Suns a bottom four club? Their best is an absolute challenge to take on. Especially at their home ground. I seem to recall them dominating the runner-up this year.

Absolute squib? ❌️ WRONG! Try again.

But they are a bottom four club, which is why they finished in the bottom four. THAT IS THE VERY DEFINITION OF A BOTTOM FOUR CLUB.

So of course Charlie would have had a great game against a bottom four club, it is what he does best.
Come finals time he is a worse version of Billy Frampton, a soft pea heart who doesn't have the will or ability to actually influence big and important matches.

I wonder if Carlton will go another “streak” next year?

Wobble wobble

Honestly not that much different to what Collingwood did last year. Only difference being blues streak contained more brutal performances with greater margins.

Tell-tale sign? Maybe, maybe not.
Unsustainable method? Likely. But only time will tell.

But if Carlton were able to play like they did around the bye more often throughout the year, then most realists wouldn't sleep on them doing further damage. It wore off towards the end as the team reverted back to their hesitant, chip-kicking along the wings game style that only ever leads to hacked forward 50 entires against a well set-up defence for rebound.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back