Who's got the better chance? Hawks or Roos?

Remove this Banner Ad

drunk_in_public

Team Captain
Suspended
May 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Top 3 aside, Both teams have risen out of nowhere to be somewhat condenders this year. I am interested to know, before this rounds results decide a top 4 spot, Who do you guys reckon has the better team and a more realistic shot ?

Probably Hawthorn due to their tall avenues to goal. But I like the Roos and would never write them off.

We beat the Hawks convincingly a few weeks ago, in their cauldron, obviously we are the better chance. Just because we have had a harder draw than anyone else above us doesn't make us less worthy. ;)

I think they both have struggled over the last month although they did both have crushing wins on the weekend all be it against very sub par opposision.

Given one of them looks certain to be in the top 4 they will have a definate chance to make the GF and possibly win it however given ther recent form I can't see either of them matching it with the top 3 sides.

We beat the Hawks convincingly a few weeks ago, in their cauldron, obviously we are the better chance. Just because we have had a harder draw than anyone else above us doesn't make us less worthy. ;)

You, and the Saints, were actually lucky to catch us in our 'mid-late season slump' that we were having at that time. Means nought now. If you'd played us in the form/mood we were in on Sunday, would have been a very different story. The Dogs were unlucky to catch us in that frame of mind...

The forward lineused to be where the Hawks had the main advantage, but the form of Petrie and the drop off from Boyle since his return, the gap has closed.

Midfields are tight. North have a clear advantage in the ruck because of McIntosh, while Harvey has been the best performed midfielder over the year, but if Hodge can maintain anywhere near the form he had on the weekend then he is the best out there. Harris has been very good but Mitchell has been better, Lewis and Simpson have had similiarly effective years, Rawlings and Sewell are both quality taggers - and Sinclair and Crawford both put in good. Wells is the wildcard - his form is getting back to where it was at the start of the year and if he and Harvey are inform the Roos can be more damaging.

No distnct advanatage in the backline, North where better earlier but Hawthorn have regroup a bit back there.

They play different kinds of footy, North concentrate heavily on contested ball while Hawthorn avoid it.

Last encounter was pretty comprehensive at the place where the hawks are supposed to be at their hardest to beat.

You, and the Saints, were actually lucky to catch us in our 'mid-late season slump' that we were having at that time. Means nought now. If you'd played us in the form/mood we were in on Sunday, would have been a very different story. The Dogs were unlucky to catch us in that frame of mind...

It is funny you have slumps when you play teams that like to play contested football and you do not have form slumps when you play teams that do not like contested football.

Amazing coincidence...

Finals is contested football x1000

I think they both have struggled over the last month although they did both have crushing wins on the weekend all be it against very sub par opposision.

Given one of them looks certain to be in the top 4 they will have a definate chance to make the GF and possibly win it however given ther recent form I can't see either of them matching it with the top 3 sides.

Hawks form over the last month....

Very convincing win over Essendon
Very convincing win over Brissie, who had won their previous 5 games convincingly, were the form team of the comp, and had Brown in career best form.
Extremely unlucky, last-gasp 5 point loss to the 2nd placed team in a game that for all money we should have won.
Massive 84 point win over the Dogs, which should actually have been 120 point.

If the game is Hawks v Roos, given the recent result you'd have to say the Roos.

I just get the feeling that Hawks can perform better than north against sides finishing top 4.

Funnily enough I think Roos would out-perform hawks against teams that finish 5-8.

This is just gut feeling, not researched at all, so don't crucify me.

We're the only club in contention that didn't get any seconds on Melbourne/Richmond or Carlton.

In regards to the Tasmanian game, bare in mind we played without Boyle, Mitchell and Franklin. The result me thinks would be different now.

As I said IMO the percentage gap tells a tale, Hawthorn have the capacity to pile on quick goals in a short period of time - without being in front for a large majority of the game, that IMO what makes the Hawks dangerious.

It is funny you have slumps when you play teams that like to play contested football and you do not have form slumps when you play teams that do not like contested football.

Amazing coincidence...

Finals is contested football x1000

No, the coincidence is that form slump directly coincided with absences from our best player, our best goalkicker, another of our goalkicking tall forwards, and not to mention our full forward and top goalkicker of the previous 2 years....

Geelong, Port Adelaide and West Coast all a class above, but certainly not invincible.

Next group would include Hawthorn, North Melbourne and Collingwood, and as Tas mentioned i'd feel much more comfortable with our contested football style going into September than Hawthorn's uncontested, high possession style. That being said if Hawthorn beat Sydney on Sunday - they have the upper hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, the coincidence is that form slump directly coincided with absences from our best player, our best goalkicker, another of our goalkicking tall forwards, and not to mention our full forward and top goalkicker of the previous 2 years....

Footnote to that: and our captain, too....

We're the only club in contention that didn't get any seconds on Melbourne/Richmond or Carlton.

You also played Geelong and West Coast once - both in Tassie - and also got Port in Tassie in one of your two games.

North played Geelong and West Coast twice (with games in Subi and Skilled) and played Port in Port in their only game.

In regards to the Tasmanian game, bare in mind we played without Boyle, Mitchell and Franklin. The result me thinks would be different now.

And we played without Wells, Gibson and Thompson. Two of them will play this week which will definitely make a difference. One has come of the injury list.

Plus you hadn't lost in Tassie for two years prior to that game and you were all saying you were unbeatable down there prior to the first bounce.

As I said IMO the percentage gap tells a tale, Hawthorn have the capacity to pile on quick goals in a short period of time - without being in front for a large majority of the game, that IMO what makes the Hawks dangerious.

The % gap tells less than win record. if we beat the Dogs and you lose to Sydney, would that tell you that North are clearly better?

You also played Geelong and West Coast once - both in Tassie - and also got Port in Tassie in one of your two games.

North played Geelong and West Coast twice (with games in Subi and Skilled) and played Port in Port in their only game.

And we played without Wells, Gibson and Thompson. Two of them will play this week which will definitely make a difference. One has come of the injury list.

Franklin, Sammy, Boyle, Williams>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>Wells, Gibson, Thompson (who you took from us!)
I think most would agree.....

Hawthorn by sheer weight of talent are a better shot at the flag. I tend to think they're still a couple of years off peaking, but they're still a chance to pinch one if Geelong stumble.

Hawks by the length of 2 Flemington Straights!

I'm sure Geel,WCE and Port will be praying to play the Roos rather than Hawthorn throughout the finals.

Yep, keep telling yourself that.

Correct. Only Wells of those three would get a game at the Hawks.

We beat you by 6 goals in a place that you had not been beaten at for 2 years and had an average 4 goal winning margain.
The difference certainly isn't that great.

If a couple of outs means a 10 goal difference to your team, then you depth is very fragile and your team is mentally weak.

We beat you by 6 goals in a place that you had not been beaten at for 2 years and had an average 4 goal winning margain.
The difference certainly isn't that great.

If a couple of outs means a 10 goal difference to your team, then you depth is very fragile and your team is mentally weak.

Check the scoreboard. At this stage of the season, we are higher on the ladder, with a far superior percentage. End debate....

Check the scoreboard. At this stage of the season, we are higher on the ladder, with a far superior percentage. End debate....

Which I guess is why a Hawks supporter started it before rd. 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's got the better chance? Hawks or Roos?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back