Why do you hate Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

A simple question, but the answers it evokes may not be simple. It's just always intriguing to hear from supporters of every club, every week 'we hate your mob', and to hear it with such passion and vigour means it ain't just a throw away line. Would just be interesting to hear. Hopefully it's not as basic as 'your fans are feral' - what makes us feral? Any experiences, or just going on popular opinion?

One for sides such as the Crows/Dockers/Eagles (though we have some recent finals history with the Eagles), if you hate us, why? It's not like we have any real history with you - how can you hate what you don't have much history with? Enlighten me.

Didn't realise we needed a reason.

I thought about trying to articulate why I hate Collingwood but I can't. I admit, it's totally irrational, yet the hatred is pure.

I like this post a lot. It shows that really, Collingwood are no different from any team. We may have a checkered history and incidents but so does every team. If you use them to substantiate your hatred, your just a hypocrite.

I was raised to hate Essendon, and i try to substantiate it, but I can't. Its just been bred into me.

Because its always about Collingwood. If Collingwood win its the greatest ever victory and they are gonna win the flag. The weekend has been all about Collingwood beating Adelaide. I'm watching "one game at a time" now and so far the first 40 mins has been about Collingwood. A perfect example. It's like there is 1 team in the AFL.
If they happen to somehow beat us on saturday night, i will be contimplating suicide. You will never hear the end of it. And if they win the flag then god help us all.

Oh and Eddie.........

I like this post a lot. It shows that really, Collingwood are no different from any team. We may have a checkered history and incidents but so does every team. If you use them to substantiate your hatred, your just a hypocrite.

I was raised to hate Essendon, and i try to substantiate it, but I can't. Its just been bred into me.
I think you need to read it again....:eek:

I think the hatred can depend on the types of supporters you associate with. Every club has those types who act like radical religious fundamentalists – blind hatred of all other clubs and players etc...the kind of flogs who will get to work on a Monday and bag out everyone who lost, even getting in the faces of those casual supporters who don’t give a toss. Maybe it's just a numbers thing with the Pies.

Personally I have a couple of mates who are mad Pies fans but still have a bit of perspective. They were devastated to lose the prelim in 2007 but stoked for me to finally see the Cats jag a flag. This week if the Pies beat us AND then win the GF I’ll be equally stoked for them. The Cats & Pies have got a healthy rivalry going now, so ‘hate’ never comes in to it for me.

And really the behaviour of players and administrators is not much of a reason to pay out on a another supporter - it’s not like most of us have any choice. If you’re fair dinkum, once you follow a club, that’s what you do for life. The supporters aren’t responsible for behavioural stuff. Stevie Johnson, Gazza Snr etc had their off field troubles but all players move on with time and we support the next crop, good or bad. Same goes for Didak, Shaw, Swan etc. So have a go at the club and the way they handle those things, sure, but it’s not grounds to attack the supporters who follow them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do you hate Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back