Why do you support the club you follow?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was originally a Carlton supporter because of my dad. But then he pissed off, and I decided I didn't want to follow Carlton any more.

I was already a South Freo fan who loved Stephen Michael, so when I heard he might be going to Geelong, I thought about following them. Alas he never came across, but what sealed it for me was a late Terry Bright snap that got us the chocolates over Carlton in a match at KP in 1980.

It wasn't just that we won either. I happened to be with my dad during the game, and he thought the shepherd from Russell Middlemiss that allowed that ball to bounce through should have been a free and the goal disallowed. I thought 'The umpies must like Geelong then' and haven't looked back.

Hawthorn supporters will happily tell you they still like us ;)

I picked up a Newspaper when i was 10 or 11 and looked through the VFL teams and decided on Carlton.....i had no external influence and they weren't on top of the ladder, my mates were Essendon supporters and my local team North Launceston wore red and black...but for some reason i by passed them and chose Carlton ...and i have not regretted my decison since . :)

I was born in Perth into a very West Perth family, I was not even aware of the VFL until I started to play footy myself and the kids would mention it from time to time. That was around the time when the Eagles entered the competition, at that point I didn't understand why they needed to exist as football was already being played in Perth.
The first key in becoming a Hawthorn supporter came when I needed to get my own footy. I asked my mates what ball I should get (because there was no way in hell my Parents were going to buy me a Burley), they said you should get an Eagles ball or a Hawthorn or Essendon ball because they are good teams. (8 year old logic) I ended up getting an eagles ball, but at the same time I decided that I also liked Hawthorn. I guess I perceived a sentiment that the Eagles were not a 'real' team, so I felt like I also needed to go for a 'real' VFL team.
It was around that time my family shipped off and moved east to Canberra. I had to follow the VFL as there was no way that I could follow the WAFL from there. I began to religiously watch the Saturday and sunday games, continuing to follow both the Eagles and Hawthorn but with a slight lean to Hawthorn. What tipped me over the edge was when I watched West Coast beat the Hawks. At the end of the game I was so gutted that the Hawks had lost, that I realized that I was now just a Hawthorn supporter. Somehow the same thing that happened to my Dad. So it was like fate made us Hawks supporters.

Have had family play for & work at the club and another family member used to board players through the 50s-80s, so followed suit.

Born and bred in Geelong, family were all Cats supporters except for my Carlton-supporting mum (she is not a huge footy follower though). Could've been a Dogs or Blues supporter (Dogs-supporting granddad brought me a Bulldogs scarf when I was 4, didn't like it though). However, I started to take a liking for the Cats when dad began taking me to games at Kardinia Park (first game I remember going to was a comfortable win over the Pies there in the mid 90's). Have been supporting Geelong since 1999, best decision I've ever made and never have/will look back. :thumbsu:

I apologize if this thread has been made before, but I thought it would be interesting to find out :)... I know majority of people are pretty much born into the club that they follow, but there are people who choose haha. As for me being an Eagles supporter in Melbourne, I am asked this constantly and the short answer is... They won the premiership the year I was born (Hey it made sense when I was 9 :D), and it just stuck and I am now a dedicated member and have been for 6 years now, so any other reasons why you guys support the clubs that you do?

I was born after the eagles had entered the league, and being from a rural Victorian town with no real footy following in the family it was up to me. I think it was the colours as a kid though, can't beat the blue and gold combo

You both deserve to be deported........

Don't even remember why, as far back as I can recall, maybe age 5 - it's always been the Saints :eek:
Not because of location, that's for sure.

Great thread,Carlton because in the early seventies when we were playing backyard footy it was 2 bombers vs 2 Blues and i had to make the second Blue.Also The winners on Sunday evenings ABC Carlton were a dominant side and it just seemed right.

Because I was born to support the Demons, had no choice in the matter, my family are all Demon supporters and I have been from the day I was born. My daughter has been a member since the day she was born and so is all the other kids in my family.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Family I traditionally from Hawthorn, so that's where it started. I was told from as young as I could remember that if I changed teams I would be thrown out of the house, and I reckon Dad and Grandpa were serious. I will be doing the same to my kids when that time comes

I moved to Aus from the UK in 1983 and lived in Canberra. My uncle lived in Melbourne and was a Hawks fan but a mate from school was a Richmond fan.

Both tried to convince me to follow their team. By pure coincidence the Hawks were playing Richmond on tv that week and I decided I would support whoever won. Luckily it was the Hawks.

My ex-convict great-great-grandparents left Tasmania on release in the 1860s and crossed Bass Strait to settle in Montague, now part of South Melbourne. In 1874 South Melbourne and Port Melbourne Football Clubs were formed, and they chose South as their local club. It's been in the family ever since, despite the fact that both club and family have wandered far from our origins. We're up to six generations now, and most of us still love the Bloods as much as we ever did.

Moved from Sydney in the late 1980s, had to choose a team. Always liked vertical stripes, I'd seen North play one on TV when I was growing up, and the company I was relocated by put me up in a hotel in North Melbourne while I found somewhere to live. Random factors that delivered me more success as a supporter in the following ten years than I had earned. I'll have earned the next one, though.

Jumped on board the day they entered the AFL and haven't stopped supporting the team since then.
Even through the days when they couldn't travel(forgetting about last year).
I liked watching guys like Rehnny, Mods,the WEEEEEEED and the younger guys like Rory Sloane and Paddy Dangerfield.
I'm an optimist like everyone else on this thread.
Next year is always going to be the one!!!!

Similar thread on the Bombers board a few weeks ago.

Family tradition. Mum's side was either Essendon or Melbourne since the 50s and had Dick Reynolds in the family. One of Dad's cousins rucked for Essendon for a few games in the 60s, mum went to school with Ken Fletcher, and Dad knew ex-Bomber president Greg Sewell through work. Finally, I was born in Moonee Ponds so the choice was easy.

Growing up in Wimmera in the 70's the pressure was on big time to follow our recruit zone team Essendon, more so as Watson and Neagle had just been drafted.

By the age of about 4, I had yet to settle on a team, as exposure to V.F.L. was limited to a 1 hr replay of the match of the day on Ch 7 Saturday night.

One day after school my Dad said there was a rumour that a V.F.L player was taking training at a small town 20 min from home, where his cousin was coach. This was huge news at the time and we rushed out to see if it was true.

Arriving at the ground my attention was immediatly drawn to a bloke in the middle who seemed as if he was 7ft tall, leapt over the heads of the local players and kicked the ball out of sight. Blond hair and mo, brown and gold training top and number 24 on the back. I was sold.

To this day, the talent, courage and flair of Peter Knights is the benchmark I set for champions.

My family don't like footy so I had no-one to influence me. North vs Sydney was the first game I ever watched. Carey dominated and the rest is history.

To my knowledge, I've only ever met one other North fan in Adelaide.

Barry Cable was my favourite player from as early as I can remember, but then I started to notice a young bloke called Wayne Schimmelbush. I used to run around the back yard yelling "Schimma" and slotting the kookaburra through the invisible sticks.

Being a solid Bloods supporter, I guess the old man was pretty disappointed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do you support the club you follow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back