Why have the Olympics lost their appeal, or have they?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd have more interest in it if the broadcasters didn't insist on the over the top patriotism, to the point where no other athletes were worthy of air time. They would show an Australian athlete have a shot at something, then cut to another Aussie doing something, then another, and so on.

Let me watch a whole ****ing event please (as long as it's not ****ing swimming).

Ch7 are showing the Olympics on 3 of their channels so hopefully they aren't all just focused on Aussie athletes and events.

They should just limit the patriotism to their main channel and provide normal coverage on their other 2 channels, probably won't happen though.

Ch7 are showing the Olympics on 3 of their channels so hopefully they aren't all just focused on Aussie athletes and events.

They should just limit the patriotism to their main channel and provide normal coverage on their other 2 channels, probably won't happen though.
This is Ch****ing7, there is no hope of this. Actually partly why is boring now.

Massive amount of commercial/sponsor wank these days as well.

Have been watching it the last few days, the live stuff in the mornings. **** getting up in the middle of the night though, it's not that good.

I love the olympics, always have and can sit there and watch it all day.

I can't however stand the bias calling.

Yes cheer for the aussies when they do well, but cheering in the middle of a race and forgetting to call the winner, thats just wrong.

The other thing I can't stand and we seem to be the only country that does it is say "won silver/bronze".
You do not win unless you come first.
You get a silver or bronze medal and while its great, it wasn't won.

I think a big factor is that some competing athletes themselves don't take it seriously.

If you are a runner, swimmer etc. then the Olympics are your pinnacle. Even team sports like hockey which have no profile you really strive to make the Olympic team.

But sports like basketball, football, tennis, golf... why are they in the Olympics?
Think womens soccer should be.

I've worked with the Matildas and know quite a few said the olympics is the peak in their careers so far.

Think womens soccer should be.

I've worked with the Matildas and know quite a few said the olympics is the peak in their careers so far.

Women's sport is a bit different because it doesn't have the profile. I don't know if winning Olympic gold or the World Cup ranks higher in the eyes of a Matlida. I wouldn't keep a sport in the program just because it's more important to women than men, though.

For most athletes in most sports it is the pinnacle. Even a sport like basketball is a lot bigger deal to countries whose teams aren't full of NBA stars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The gymnastics rock. What's wrong with ya?

I guess it's more of a female thing to like gymnastics but it does nothing for me, athletics, rowing and basketball are about the only things that interest me.

I have a lot of respect for gymnasts and what they can do. The strength, balance, coordination etc. they have is incredible - I just find it dull to watch. Same as diving. Swimming I'm not all that interested in but at least has the competitive 'Thorpe - Hackett, Hackett and Thorpe - there's nothing in it!' aspect going for it. I prefer the team sports like hockey. Channel 7 hates people like me. Actually they hate everyone who doesn't want to watch Sunrise and highlights to be fair.

Damn it, missed it any idea when its on next..?
Like any other olympic sport you are interested in and try to catch. When you switch off and walk away. They'll show every other sport on the planet while you're watching but.

What i hate is the "participation award" style of broadcasting, what i mean by that is the carry on when an aussie athlete comes 6th or something and we get "what a fantastic effort you should be so proud", the olympics is about winning not coming 6th. Did anyone see that interview with that 100m butterfly swimmer who came 5th? She was devastated and all the interviewer could say was "what a great effort you should be so proud" i mean seriously the girl is upset for a reason you idiot.

What i hate is the "participation award" style of broadcasting, what i mean by that is the carry on when an aussie athlete comes 6th or something and we get "what a fantastic effort you should be so proud", the olympics is about winning not coming 6th. Did anyone see that interview with that 100m butterfly swimmer who came 5th? She was devastated and all the interviewer could say was "what a great effort you should be so proud" i mean seriously the girl is upset for a reason you idiot.

It's shit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back