Play Nice Will Geelong win the 2016 premiership?

Where do you think the Cats will finish this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott bros see the issues too late.

You guys have been in a holding pattern for 4 years thinking you just need a player or two.

Hey! And thanks for pick 8 for Hendo, he moved beautifully last night!

Yes because one game coming back from injury undoes the fact that he was our second best defender for the rest of a season in which, I think, we had the second tightest defence in the league.

Your draw got you a top 4 spot.
Hawks were poor this year. Nice try at deflection.
Hawks extra month of footy every year for the past 5, later start, one of the hardest draws each year has most certainly taken its toll.

Your draw was rated easiest by 3 different independent statistical analysts. You took advantage... Congrats for that.

By THREE analysts?

Wow!! Then it must be right. Why the excuses mate? An extra month of footy? Wow, it's amazing you even fielded a team this year. What a strain that must be.

Probably the multiple AA playing HBF

Which suggests Geelong are in an identical position to Hawthorn - relying on senior players who are about to call it a day.

Makes it all the more amazing that we finished where we did then doesn't it.

I think this year is a bit of a gap year waiting for the next dominant team(s) to emerge. It is also amazing Hawthorn finished forth. In a strong year there is no chance that happens.

They will need wholesale changes to their defence next season. They know that themselves. As the season went on sides looked at what Carlton then Saints and Pies did to them to beat them and could see their older defence in particular was gettable with frenetic football pressure. Mackie, Enright and Lonergan all on the downhill side and more pronounced as season went on as a group. In the end their strength of Selwood and Dangerfield not quite enough but they gave it a good crack this season. In a season so tight there has not been much in it. They beat most sides in the 8 more than others. Era totally over for Hawks and them though. This was last season as serious contenders I feel for some time.

We have for most of this year played a defence compromised by the need as you say to rebuild it. Meaning we have played Henderson and Kolo alongside Mackie and Lonergan - when they are actually those players replacements.

Therefore the defence is slow, all things considered it was pretty good this year but Enrights unexpected AA year did a lot to hold it together.

I guess your side never able to keep backing it up makes it hard for you to get it.

I think any moron could work out getting Brisbane and Essendon twice gave the cats a fair leg up.

I think any moron could work out 9-2 means it probably wouldn't have mattered much what sort of draw we got.

I suppose the analysts predicted that only one match against st Kilda, Carlton and Collingwood would turn into a leg up.

Which suggests Geelong are in an identical position to Hawthorn - relying on senior players who are about to call it a day.

I think this year is a bit of a gap year waiting for the next dominant team(s) to emerge. It is also amazing Hawthorn finished forth. In a strong year there is no chance that happens.

To be pedantic you have four senior players you heavily rely on and you finished fifth. But it's a pretty nice day today no?

Possibly, I don't think we will truly know until we find out how good GWS and the Dogs actually are. Remember, Geelong beat both of them comfortably too. I still think that the overall standard was pretty decent but that could be proven well wrong in the coming years.

I guess your side never able to keep backing it up makes it hard for you to get it.

I think any moron could work out getting Brisbane and Essendon twice gave the cats a fair leg up.

More than a fair leg up when it comes to working out percentages on the ladder, as well as 4 free wins as oppose to 2 many other sides got which in a season as close as this one could pretty much be defining. In fairness to the cats though they did beat the quality sides when they played them generally through the season but those losses to mediocre sides said that sooner or later they'd get bitten badly by a quality side and unfortunately for them it was a horrible time to do it. Full credit to Sydney too, thats 2 weeks after a poor performance they've come out wanting it more than their opponents from the first bounce.

Geelong has always enhanced its seasons by smashing up the lower sides at Kardinia Park - very unusual ground and they know how to play it.
They still win their fair share elsewhere, but never so easily.
And, despite the protests from the club and its fans, I can't see any more finals being played at the Cattery.
Therefore come finals time, it's a simple equation. Better opponents + no massive home ground advantage = tougher games = being brought back to the field = losing more often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong has always enhanced its seasons by smashing up the lower sides at Kardinia Park - very unusual ground and they know how to play it.
And, despite the protests from the club and its fans, I can't see any more finals being played at the Cattery.
Therefore come finals time, it's a simple equation. Better opponents + no massive home ground advantage = tougher games = being brought back to the field = losing more often.

It's supposed to hold nearly 40,000 when it's completed. By that logic Sydney, the Adelaide teams and the Perth teams - and Brisbane for that matter - shouldn't be hosting finals.

Not sure if you've noticed but historically we haven't had THAT much trouble winning at the MCG. Which happens when you play two finals at your home ground in a century or more.

Hawkins on his day is very good. Their old defenders are good but getting long in the tooth now

Cats and Hawks haven't had the access to youth that others have

(It's time to shift focus to the Swans is my point)
Its called the draft. Mills didnt play. Get your own Academy using the Mills/Heeney rules.

Mills rules: 3 years of Auskick and then 5 years of Rugby Union. Start AFL at 12.

Heeney Rules: dont even think about AFL until 12. Play cricket, soccer and rugby league until then.

Get a Academy with little to no background of AFL until 12. Everyone should get one.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yeah those lowly sides like the Giants Bulldogs crows and Eagles, we get the least home games in the league by a long way

Geel's most glaring problem is their midfield. 2 stars in danger and Selwood, a gritty dependable type in Guthrie and a collection of spuds who never deliver when the heat is on - Duncan caddy Motlop. Menegola is inexperienced and can be excused for being a deer in the headlights last night.

As for their supposed recruiting spree last summer, as I predicted pre-season, none of s Selwood Henderson smith or Stanley was a factor when it counted. Why? Because they are just not that good.

Overall the list is in terrible shape - lonergan is clearly finished as a key defender against the best forwards, it was like buddy was playing on a school boy last night. Taylor is still solid but aging. Hawkins is showing all the signs that he is on the edge of the cliff and about to topple over. I don't care how many he kicks against ordinary opposition when the cats are rolling over the top at kardinia park, I am happy to judge him on his performances against the best, and recent evidence suggests he could be next year's travis Cloke.

Only another year out of the box from danger stands between them toppling out of the 8 in 2017.

By THREE analysts?

Wow!! Then it must be right. Why the excuses mate? An extra month of footy? Wow, it's amazing you even fielded a team this year. What a strain that must be.
Three years in a row of extra footy definitely makes a difference. Silly to say otherwise

Anyway - guys - time to refocus our attention. Pepsi and Coke are likely playing off next week.

It's been the beginning of the end for Geelong for the past 8 seasons according to BF. I suppose it works on the theory that one year they'll be right.

They seemed right last year. You injected a bunch of players for a new beginning this year, but only got really great output yesterday from one of them, and as good as Dangerfield is, going from 10th to a GF berth off the back of one player is a very big ask. Will have a decent crack again next year if you can keep more of your list fit for the season. Although the potential retirements are probably a bit of a worry in terms of lost experience, so may need another down year before coming up again the year afterwards. Hawks probably in similar boat end of next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Will Geelong win the 2016 premiership?

Back