Williams back as Dogs start to shape up

Remove this Banner Ad

Just thought I would share some good Bulldog News.....

The Age
Carley Jellett
March 25, 2007

HIGHLY rated Bulldog Tom Williams returned to competitive football yesterday after missing two seasons with a fractured foot bone, while Luke Darcy and Robert Murphy continued to impress in their recoveries from knee injuries.

Williams, taken at No. 6 in the 2004 draft, played just under half a game for Werribee's reserves side in a VFL practice match at Whitten Oval against Coburg yesterday.

"(He played) OK. He played mainly centre half-back … (and) he got through unscathed," Werribee reserves coach Steven Kretiuk said.

"He got a couple of kicks and a couple of marks, which will give him a fair bit of confidence, but just to see him out on the park is fantastic for not only us (at) Werribee, but for the Bulldogs, as well.

"He showed a couple of years ago before he got injured that he can certainly play footy. And for his height he is a very mobile sort of player.

"He'll be an important player for the Bulldogs for the future."

Darcy and Murphy made positive contributions to Werribee's victory over Coburg, while Ryan Griffen, Peter Street and Brian Harris also came through uninjured.

This is really good news but a bit of a surprise to me. I know we've been told for a few weeks that he's ready but, last I heard, he was only doing very restricted ball work at training. Perhaps, given his touted ability, he's plenty good enough to play Werribee 2s even when he's a long way short of AFL match fitness. I know he's been doing all the running. He's a big lad so maybe this is the best way to ease him back in. But I can't remember a report of him even doing contested one-on-one work at practice.

Thanks Aqua! Thats made my day:thumbsu:

Its so great to see Williams finally strutting his stuff. Hopefully those foot problems are a thing of the past and he can get on the park and make his long awaited debut. And when he does, i made the promise ill buy a jumper with his number on the back and thats what im going to do;)

Very happy to read that. Looking forward to watching his progress this year and not having to question about his real injury status anymore!

i dont no why but hasnt everyone taking a liking to tom?????????????

lol what has he done thats so special????????????????

I reckon Williams will get himself right, play some decent matches with Werribee, get promoted and his first few games will be terrible. Dozens on this board will demand he gets cut and he's the worst 1st round pick ever (with apologies to Tim Walsh).

Eventually he will turn into a top-liner and those same people will be on here proclaiming their love for him.

I reckon Williams will get himself right, play some decent matches with Werribee, get promoted and his first few games will be terrible. Dozens on this board will demand he gets cut and he's the worst 1st round pick ever (with apologies to Tim Walsh).

Eventually he will turn into a top-liner and those same people will be on here proclaiming their love for him.
I hate him.:)
I hope you are right

i dont no why but hasnt everyone taking a liking to tom?????????????

lol what has he done thats so special????????????????

About 2 or 3 genuinely large, football-smart, KPPs come along every decade. (Beasley, Foster and Kennedy in the 80s, Grant and Croft in the 90s.) When someone comes along who looks to coaches like the real deal, you get excited.

I still recall watching him in a practice match at Subi against the Dockers a couple of years ago. Although he didn't get many possessions, he contested extremely well, took a couple of good contested marks and showed good poise during what was probably his only competitive hitout for the club. Time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen him play properly on two occasions. One was an intra-club match where the signs were extremely exciting, but he was playing on Jesse Wells, and one was the NAB Cup match against Carlton where he was extremely effective in restricting Whitnall and he was able to offer some terrific rebound out of defence. The highlight was a thumping 60m pass running out of defence that hit a player on the chest.

I've also seen the footage of him getting hit in the face by a football in a marking contest. Yes, it was funny but I don't think it was a concern. Some suggested it showed his lack of football experience but you probably would have ignored it if it had been another player.

He's definitely got the ability. We still don't know how strong his football smarts are or whether or not they have developed in the time he's been injured. I think it's safe to say that if he remains injury free then he will at least be an effective stopper in defence who can offer effective disposal when called to. If he is smarter than expected he could play pretty much anywhere along the spine and become an extremely damaging player. You could throw him on the wing, let him run loose of HB or he could present at CHF. I hope that's how it works out.

My sentiments exactly :thumbsu:

As The Coon Dog said, Chris Bond and pretty much the whole coaching panel have got as much patience and time for Big Tom as Buddha himself (no not Whiskers :p) would have.

Tom hasn't yet convinced me he's football smart.

No, me neither. But my point was that he has convinced the coaching staff and, given how rare the real deal comes along, and how few we've had lately, that is enough to get me at least a bit excited. Not over-excited yet, just a bit aroused.
icon12.gif

After signing up for membership today i wandered up to the terraces to see if any action was taking place.

Saw the great man in a drill with higgins and the griff.

What a mountain of a man! Could tell he lacked the footskills of the others but look great on a lead with petty good hands.

T Walsh will only be good for serving him celebratory beers from behind a bar in years to come!

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back