Review Winners and Losers of the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently he is a very late developer and a bit of a fatboy as a junior who just shot up very late on in the piece. He only played a couple of TAC games which is why no one has heard of him. He played for Marcelin and did pretty well in senior footy which makes up a little bit for the lack of TAC. After watching the highlights reel though it seem inexcusable that he didn't get more of a go. Even if his form was poor he just looks like an AFL player imo. Also I vaguely recall hearing that Carlton was also interested which is probably why we were forced to take him with pick 30. I guess we thought it was worth the punt in what our recruiter has said a few teams is a very bad draft.

It is my understanding that Carlton were very much into him but it was unlikely we would have taken him with #60 as we need the list spots for worthy nominated rookies. 1st rookie pick was probably where we would have taken him.

Genuinely would like to know your reason for the losers? I don't follow the kids pre AFL but from what I can tell Richmond added a tonne of speed and x-factor which we have lacked in a big way..
What some don't understand is that we picked up according to our needs. It would be an average draft if we were like Carlton who needed players from many positions. However, it was obvious how much our list lacked speed in the EF. It is an area we have been bad at for years now.

So from a Richmond perspective, it was actually a decent draft

People were saying the same thing after their 2010 draft.
Watson and McCarthy in the same draft.
There was their backline for the next ten years.
Luke Mitchell had played well at TAC Cup level and was a promising gorilla forward.
Unfortunately it never transpired.
That was a draft that was very poor on KPPs and strong on mids. This is a draft strong on KPPs and weak on mids.

You're comparing Picks 18, 34 and 48 iirc in a weak KPP draft v picks 1, 10 and 12 in a strong KPP draft

That whole Yarran stalemate looks really odd in hindsight. Rioli could've just been picked up with 19 anyway

And it would seem that we were taking Cuningham no matter what.

Some rate Francis the best non Academy kid in the draft and also selecting the best non academy mid equals a win in our eyes.

Add in arguably the two best KPP's who weren't on AFL lists and we've done well IMHO.

Morgan, Redman, Eades will determine how well disco has done this draft.
I rate SOSOS the best player in the draft... am I considered "some"

That whole Yarran stalemate looks really odd in hindsight. Rioli could've just been picked up with 19 anyway
In hindsight, happy that didn't transpire, as it would have been a strong chance that Carlton would not have traded 11 + future 3rd for Pick 20 and 21. Meaning Curnow would be a Dogs player now and not available at Richmond's pick 12.

Funny how things turn out.

I haven't really looked at everyone properly, but my first impression is that the Bombers did really well. Liked all their picks from a needs basis and a best available. Will go a long way to putting some life back into what was a deflated list.

You say that as if I knocked the Tiges for drafting him. o_O
That said, if we're to go down this path I'm not sure why comparisons need to be limited to small forwards as it's not as though Richmond were a small forward way from being premiers..

i am not knocking you mate. You have miss read my post or maybe I was not clear enough. I am just not agreeing " Rioli" was a reach pick. Bottom line, our first pick would always been on the best defensive small in the draft that was available, it was the reason we did not want to trade that pick, and we got that.

On "it's not as though Richmond were a small forward way from being premiers"...All ill say, our major issue with us, in our quest to build a premiership side is that it was way to easy to run the ball out of our F50...having these elite speedsters who love to tackle will help address that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is interesting. Do you think we got sucked into drafting him for his height? We probably have the worst KPDs in the league at the moment and had to draft a few as depth at the very least. Do you think he is zero chance of becoming a KPD type? If not could he replace Morris or M.Boyd in the future?

People keep bringing up yarran beating him in the grand final - like it shows Adams can't be a KPD.

Yarran is a medium fwd that plays small. Absolutely the wrong matchup

i am not knocking you mate. You have miss read my post or maybe I was not clear enough. I am just not agreeing " Rioli" was a reach pick. Bottom line, our first pick would always been on the best defensive small in the draft that was available, it was the reason we did not want to trade that pick, and we got that.

On "it's not as though Richmond were a small forward way from being premiers"...All ill say, our major issue with us, in our quest to build a premiership side is that it was way to easy to run the ball out of our F50...having these elite speedsters who love to tackle will help address that.
That's fair enough then. :thumbsu:
He'll definitely add another dimension to your side

Problem with Gc and the interstate clubs is they are always battling go home factor.
Its easy to say lets pick up Milera, but he is a flight risk.
Curnow told interstate clubs not to pick him.
We also didnt need key forwards as we have Wright coming through.

Problem with Gc and the interstate clubs is they are always battling go home factor.
Its easy to say lets pick up Milera, but he is a flight risk.
Curnow told interstate clubs not to pick him.
We also didnt need key forwards as we have Wright coming through.

You still happy with Cal Ah Chee?
Would you have preferred Curnow or Milera?

Dogs recruiting team are the envy of the competition.

Swapped pick 11 for 21 and 22 - went into this draft dreaming of getting Kieron Collins and got him plus Dunkley for free
We differ in opinions but happy with our club's decisions.

I believe excluding the academy players, the first gap in quality came after Curnow. Apart from Ah Chee, the players that went in the top 12 could have been re-arranged in a different order and all justify the pick.

Then Pick 12 to pick 30 is the next crop of quality.

If it was Pick 20 and 21 for pick 12, then I would agree that it worked out really well for Dogs. But for Pick 11, it just happened to be incredibly lucky for us.

Plus don't forget we also have the Dog's 2016 3rd pick as well.

Carlton had a good haul but having a bare cupboard means they need several years of good hauls to get off the bottom.

Brisbane the big winner IMO, best KPF who wants to be there, the academy players slid nicely, couple of rated players on the cheap. Nice work to add to a developing list.

Bullies had a sneakily good night as well.

The Adelaide recruiters will be sweating that Doedee makes the grade, huge call that early.

GWS just added a heap of talent cheap to an already dripping with talent list. Unlike Carlton circa 2009, GWS really are coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Winners and Losers of the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back