Review Winners and Losers of the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps we picked the player you wanted after trading up.

Did you need another small forward/mid who could take as long as Edwards?

Hmmm.
No we never showed any interest in Curnow. It was either Ah Chee or Rioli.

In saying that, if Rioli ends up being a star, it will be the blues that will have overlooked him. It's not like you guys have a glut of goalkickers on your list.

I can't help but think Carlton has the most conservative fans of the lot.
You would say that. You keep trying to put a square peg in a round hole at the draft. Your wants are delusional than Essendon fans with their blind support.
151124-jade-run.jpg

Marc Murphy without the wank factor. :thumbsu:
Huh?

1. Brisbane Lions - A key forward, a gun midfielder who is happy to be there, a couple of key defenders and an absolute steal.
2. Essendon - Terrific two boys at the start, a key forward, a key defender and a couple of mature age players to impact.
3. Carlton - Great selections but don't think two key forwards in the first round was wise in one year. McKay will be really good.
4. North Melbourne - Covered all that needed to be, selecting some really high rated guys.
5. GWS - Incredible midfield talent, and Himmelberg will replace the likely departure of McCarthy.
6. West Coast - Some great talent and selected all they needed to. Good on them.
7. Hawthorn - A couple of surprises and no defenders early, but some really solid talent. Burton is the package.
8. Melbourne - Tough inside midfielder and gun forward, and a couple of other guys who could knock on the first team door next year.
9. Western Bulldogs - Collins is a steal, and Dunkley is a good add to a gun midfield.
10. Port Adelaide - Just two picks but both sliders and should play next year.
11. Sydney Swans - Callum Mills
12. Fremantle - Secured two really good sliders, who should succeed, but no forward selections.
13. Gold Coast - Bit of a wtf draft for them but talent nonetheless.
14. Adelaide - A gun and a strange one but were the only two selections for the night. Doedee was probably unnecessary with guys like Burton and Balic available
15. Richmond - A Rioli and a steal. Markov is a good selection, but the Tiges didn't go very deep last night.
16. St Kilda - Probably needed to go attacking or defensive with their first pick, but Gresham is still a great pull should he play. White and Rice decent pulls.
17. Collingwood - Interesting selection with Sier, who probably would've still been there at Pick 58, but ok. Ben Crocker is a decent steal though.
18. Geelong - Some selections but ones that you would hardly think would impact the side.

Thing is, no one really knows how they are going to do. You only need to look back to 2009 to see how a highly touted draft pick in Lucas can quickly turn sour, particularly when you see the players drafted straight after.

Let's revisit in 3 years before we start gloating.
What's wrong with Lucas :D

Thing is, no one really knows how they are going to do. You only need to look back to 2009 to see how a highly touted draft pick in Lucas can quickly turn sour, particularly when you see the players drafted straight after.

Let's revisit in 3 years before we start gloating.

No gloating from here. I agree we do not know for many years the true value of all these youngsters. I just question the order at this present given I heard experts on radio question this Rioli taken as early as he was. Going on what I heard he should have been picked up quite a bit later. Leon Harris in particular I heard basically saying if Richmond think they are going to have a ready made player for seniors next year it will be fanciful thinking for a club trying to win finals

No gloating from here. I agree we do not know for many years the true value of all these youngsters. I just question the order at this present given I heard experts on radio question this Rioli taken as early as he was. Going on what I heard he should have been picked up quite a bit later. Leon Harris in particular I heard basically saying if Richmond think they are going to have a ready made player for seniors next year it will be fanciful thinking for a club trying to win finals

Agree. Any impact Rioli makes next year will be an absolute bonus.
Those clubs that pick up a player because they are ready to go now are extremely shortsighted. Leon is just stating the obvious.

Clubs are willing to wait for a Langford or a Laverde to develop rather than draft a ready to go Boekhurst. It's long term list management.

Like all our draftees, I'm willing to wait a couple of pre seasons before they really let rip and show us what they are capable of.

As I said in the other thread, 2x key defenders and a potential brownlow winning midfielder from outside the top 20?

Awesome effort. Cant wait to see how they go.

18. Geelong - Some selections but ones that you would hardly think would impact the side.

Given their focus as a club this off season was Dangerfield, Henderson, Zac Smith and a 4th senior player I can't recall right now anything above 18th best intake would be a bonus for them. However given Wells past efforts do not put it past him finding a diamond amongst the rough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like most ppl I suspect, when Scott Clayton was appointed head at Gold Coast, I assumed he must be one of the best in the business.

But hearing bulldogs supporters and watching his record since at the gold coast, I think it's fair to question his judgement.

In fairness, Saad was a good pickup late & may still be too early to tell.

I think Ambrogio is a huge part of it too. He's followed him everywhere.

In fairness he does some odd early picks but he still does very well.

Lonergan from 2012 looks good. From 2013, Kolodjashnij is a gun, Leslie has tracked well at NEAFL level but the jury is still out I suppose and Lemmens is a hard at it defender who is a solid pick up. 2014 he absolutely nailed with Wright dominating the NEAFL (probably ready for senior footy next year), Garlett doing the same and playing AFL and Touk Miller well... Wow. Our rookie draft also ended up producing 2 players who are now on the senior list. He's hard to assess old Clayton cos the bad ones can be really bad but the good ones are absolutely stellar.

I like Ah Chee and Fiorini. Jury is out on Schoenfeld especially given where he was picked. Bit odd but he is a really freakish athlete. I like Mackenzie Willis from what I've seen but know little of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. St Kilda - Probably needed to go attacking or defensive with their first pick, but Gresham is still a great pull should he play. White and Rice decent pulls.
17. Collingwood - Interesting selection with Sier, who probably would've still been there at Pick 58, but ok. Ben Crocker is a decent steal though.

These guys really should get a waiver for these rankings/articles. They did all their work in trade week so have already "picked" the likes of Carlisle, Freeman, Treloar, Aish, Dangerfield, Henderson, etc.

Rioli at 15 fills a need I 100% agree, but even you must admit he's a reach at that pick. Was still a bit of talent left.

He could turn out a brilliant player for sure, but you can see how a 2nd round rated player and 2 mature agers doesn't look that good.

Hope it works out.

lol. Again, which small forward that was still available at our pick who is better then Rioli ?

Once you come up with nobody, then move on. We drafted for needs this year and i am quiet happy with it.

1. Brisbane Lions - A key forward, a gun midfielder who is happy to be there, a couple of key defenders and an absolute steal.
2. Essendon - Terrific two boys at the start, a key forward, a key defender and a couple of mature age players to impact.
3. Carlton - Great selections but don't think two key forwards in the first round was wise in one year. McKay will be really good.
4. North Melbourne - Covered all that needed to be, selecting some really high rated guys.
5. GWS - Incredible midfield talent, and Himmelberg will replace the likely departure of McCarthy.
6. West Coast - Some great talent and selected all they needed to. Good on them.
7. Hawthorn - A couple of surprises and no defenders early, but some really solid talent. Burton is the package.
8. Melbourne - Tough inside midfielder and gun forward, and a couple of other guys who could knock on the first team door next year.
9. Western Bulldogs - Collins is a steal, and Dunkley is a good add to a gun midfield.
10. Port Adelaide - Just two picks but both sliders and should play next year.
11. Sydney Swans - Callum Mills
12. Fremantle - Secured two really good sliders, who should succeed, but no forward selections.
13. Gold Coast - Bit of a wtf draft for them but talent nonetheless.
14. Adelaide - A gun and a strange one but were the only two selections for the night. Doedee was probably unnecessary with guys like Burton and Balic available
15. Richmond - A Rioli and a steal. Markov is a good selection, but the Tiges didn't go very deep last night.

Attacking or defensive? Are you having a laugh? We are in desperate need of a midfielder, particularly one with pace and class. We got one.

lol. Again, which small forward that was still available at our pick who is better then Rioli ?

Once you come up with nobody, then move on. We drafted for needs this year and i am quiet happy with it.

The first round isn't really the time to draft for needs if you're after a small forward. a genuine first rounder of any position would be good enough to start as a forward pocket anyway.

Who makes way for Rioli next year?

If you're happy with a small forward in the first round then great pick. There was better talent there though whick you can't deny.

I myself wouldn't be happy spending a pick that high on a small forward no matter how big the need. The games best forward pocket went in the PSD!

Attacking or defensive? Are you having a laugh? We are in desperate need of a midfielder, particularly one with pace and class. We got one.

What's wrong with McKay and Curnow selections? It was a draft of talls

Harry McKay is a beast and Charlie Curnow was predicted to be a top 3 pick at one stage

What's wrong with McKay and Curnow selections? It was a draft of talls

Harry McKay is a beast and Charlie Curnow was predicted to be a top 3 pick at one stage

Mate I'm talking about what he wrote about St Kilda. He didn't say the phrase "attacking or defensive" in his comment for Carlton, he did for St Kilda. I have no idea why you'd think I was talking about the Blues. Not to mention I said the words "we" and talked about a midfielder with pace and class that we needed (Gresham). Surely you have to be trolling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Winners and Losers of the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back