Review Winners? Losers?

Remove this Banner Ad

IN=Lids
OUT=coach killer Palmer
We did OK.
Carlton picked up slops who rate in the bottom part of most lists.
I'd say that alone is a win for you. Lids is a great player and he won't have to carry as much responsibility now. I reckon he'll flourish in that environment.

Last edited:
Oh right, which one of these did Richmond get? :rolleyes:

I'm jsut saying, the only two who would be reasonably big losses for Geelong are Caddy and Kersten. Smedts isn't all that flash and Vardy with his injury history is a huge gamble.

I'm jsut saying, the only two who would be reasonably big losses for Geelong are Caddy and Kersten. Smedts isn't all that flash and Vardy with his injury history is a huge gamble.

Haha-No-No-way-Nix-Never-Not-going-to-happen-GIF.gif

Winners clearly

GWS - traded out depth (and a lot of injuries talent) got high quality . cleared cap space and got 1 class in Deludio. had the cards but still well played, plenty of future picks to. With their academy players, still for god drafts this year and next.
freo - got some good talent in generally at unders.

those that did well.

saints - got bonza deal with hawks.
brisbane - got value,
suns - do ok getting value, but still bleeding talent in the talent in talent out, but still good draft

ok got a bit

Richmond - lost deludo but got prestia, caddy, set up next years draft
melbourne - got some leadership in lewis burt not much otherwise. done alright though
west coast - mitchell cheap will be a plus.

to be seen.

hawthorn - best the farm on JOM he come got will look ok, the worry is plenty of age and not much in young talent last few drafts, Tom Mitchell a steal but heavy price JOM with the likes of hodge, gibson, bourgoyne to go, could be too much left to too few in years to come.just not appearing this draft and comprised heavily the next, relying on free agency next year,
carlton - will there GWS rejects come good? Palmer, Smedts, Picket, Marchbank

neutral

Port,Adelaide, essendon, north,- not much
sydney - so so mitchell was under but ok other than that.
bulldogs - cloke cheap but did they need him, not much other than that.

losers

collinwgood - clearance of depth players, got unders. free agents can be questioned but could work.
geelong - not much in draft picks and raging list , lost depth players for unders.

I think I'm probably the only one who thinks Richmond haven't gone about things the right way.

They desperately need to strip back and get some quality kids onto the list, yet they have effectively traded pick 6 for Prestia (B+ mid but injury prone) and next year's second for Caddy (the definition of a B-grader). I think it maybe pushes them back to that 7-10 range but then they lose Deledio anyway, and have precious little key position support at either end for Rance and Riewoldt.

Draft picks obviously guarantee nothing but their list is in no man's land anyway - taking 6 and 27 to the draft this year, then having two 1st rounders and their 2nd next year would have given them a great chance to bring talent in.

I guess they committed to Prestia early on and probably didn't bank on their first rounder being so high, but not sure Caddy really improves them from a longer term point of view. To me it's the sort of trade period where you are initially excited because you've brought in names, but when you sit back and properly look at where the list is at and where it will be in the next 3-5 years, they've given up a lot without getting an elite player or pick back.

Nankervis a good trade though.

Interesting though, suspect you'll see a fair shake up of the ladder leaders next year.

Geelong have done poorly, Hawthorn absolutely woeful, Sydney weaker.

Yet St Kilda, Melbourne, West Coast, Fremantle all stronger on paper.

GWS should be clear premiership favourites ATM, but I wouldn't be surprised to see up to four 2016 finalists not playing in September next year.

I think I'm probably the only one who thinks Richmond haven't gone about things the right way.

They desperately need to strip back and get some quality kids onto the list, yet they have effectively traded pick 6 for Prestia (B+ mid but injury prone) and next year's second for Caddy (the definition of a B-grader). I think it maybe pushes them back to that 7-10 range but then they lose Deledio anyway, and have precious little key position support at either end for Rance and Riewoldt.

Draft picks obviously guarantee nothing but their list is in no man's land anyway - taking 6 and 27 to the draft this year, then having two 1st rounders and their 2nd next year would have given them a great chance to bring talent in.

I guess they committed to Prestia early on and probably didn't bank on their first rounder being so high, but not sure Caddy really improves them from a longer term point of view. To me it's the sort of trade period where you are initially excited because you've brought in names, but when you sit back and properly look at where the list is at and where it will be in the next 3-5 years, they've given up a lot without getting an elite player or pick back.

I think we are banking on players like Menadue, Markov, Shot, Corey Ellis, Kamdyn Mcintosh, Rioli all stepping up again next season. I would have loved a first rounder this year, but I think we can substitute not taking one this year and having two next year. Prestia and Caddy addressed a glaring hole on our list, and our trade period has made us a lot stronger, at least on paper, than it was prior to trade week.

We also have Yarran who, if he can get his body and head right, will be a huge inclusion for us as well. Conca is another who offers us something but his body has let him down.

We essentially traded Deledio, 6 and a future second for Prestia, Caddy, A future first and third. Whilst a first this year would have been nice, until we fix our drafting department, I'd rather take the known quantities in Caddy and Prestia at this stage.

We can't draft for ****. Just look at the first rounders we used on Conca, Lennon etc. in recent years. And we haven't nailed a pick after the first round in over 10 YEARS. So I'm happy to get some known commodities.

Plus even if we did go heavy on kids in the draft, it probably doesn't help our chances of keeping Martin, Riewoldt etc. who will be 7-10 years older than the new talent. Prestia & Caddy probably sells them hope we can turn it around.

WINNERS
Fremantle - got some players in who will help rejuvenate their list and swapped 3 for 7 while getting McCarthy when the player they wanted at 3 will porbably be there at 7.
North Melbourne - low risk high. Even if none of the players they brought in work out, they haven't given anything valuable up and kept their picks. Hrovat looks like a steal.
St. Kilda - absolutely smashed the Hawks in that deal and got Steele in fairly cheap
Melbourne - look primed for a top 8 finish next year surely.
Richmond - considering all the negative talk coming from their supporters after the Prestia trade, they have managed to turn it around. I don't overly rate Caddy more than a solid B grader but does give their midfield more hardness and got him fairly cheap. And sill get into the 1st round. Still don't know where they sit in the bigger picture though.
Gold Coast - biased but got in 2 best 22 players + a free hit in Witts, and own the top10 in the draft.

LOSERS
Adelaide - Lost Lyons cheap, and didn't get anything in.
Port Adelaide - Maybe they just rate where they are, and they are gonna want to prove it next year after giving up their 2017 1st.
Geelong - got Tuohy, but gave up alot of depth and their 2017 1st.
Bulldogs - lost Stevens, Hrovat and Hamling. Got Cloke and a better 2nd though.

TOO EARLY TO TELL
Hawthorn - Could be a masterstroke, could be a disaster. Who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't draft for ****. Just look at the first rounders we used on Conca, Lennon etc. in recent years. And we haven't nailed a pick after the first round in over 10 YEARS. So I'm happy to get some known commodities.

Plus even if we did go heavy on kids in the draft, it probably doesn't help our chances of keeping Martin, Riewoldt etc. who will be 7-10 years older than the new talent.

Sam Lloyd, Oleg Markov and Jayden Short all looking good.

Richmond - considering all the negative talk coming from their supporters after the Prestia trade, they have managed to turn it around. I don't overly rate Caddy more than a solid B grader but does give their midfield more hardness and got him fairly cheap. And sill get into the 1st round. Still don't know where they sit in the bigger picture though.

They didn't get into the first round, they only have one pick inside the top 55 of a strong draft. They will have Geelong's first rounder (likely 15-18) next year though.

They didn't get into the first round, they only have one pick inside the top 55 of a strong draft. They will have Geelong's first rounder (likely 15-18) next year though.

Edited for accuracy:

They didn't get into the first round, they only have one pick inside the top 55 of a strong draft. They will have Geelong's first rounder (likely 5-8) next year though

Oh, my bad, thought it was a 2016 1st for Deledio. Deals were coming from everywhere and I got confused! Probably knocks them down a bit

Has to be Hawthorn. Landed both of the big fish we were after and left the club in a very good position for next year's free agency bonanza by moving on some veterans in a way that won overwhelming respect from the football fraternity. Look to have rejuvenated the list in a single draft period despite the system being set up to drag us back to the field.

Not sure if serious....

Your club even admitted that they ****ed up with the handling of Lewis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Winners? Losers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back