Review Winners? Losers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Winners:

Saints - robbed the Hawks, got Steele and Stevens for cheap.
Freo - Hamling, Hill, Kersten all for great value
Richmond - not sure on Caddy, but got top value for Deledio, slight overs for Prestia but that's ok, Nankervis is handy
Carlton - Touhy for Marchbank and Pickett, that's a win. Didn't fold on Gibbs. At the same time, should've dealt him if the deal was there
Brisbane - Frost is nice and the Hanley deal a winner. Didn't do anything silly with Rockliff
Hawthorn - Mitchell, Vickery, Hill all ticks. Future 1st, two 2nd's (for the Saints pick 10) plus 3rd + 4th (for Carlton's future 2nd) for O'Meara. That's a worry. In the end they've given up a first and the equivalent of 3 2nds. What could Hawthorn have done at the draft with those 4 picks? Still. Overall, they've got the best young mid in the game before injury

Neutral:
Melb - I'm not as sold on Lewis but it's a win. Like Hibberd but don't love him. McKenna a nice freebie
Ess - Stewart is nice for free, Hibberd for a good deal. Solid.
GC - Hanley, Lyons, Witts helps now. Got compensated for O'Meara and Prestia but not a win losing that quality
North - Hrovat and Ahern are nice, but Marley Williams is a bit meh
Port - couldn't move Hartlett or Lobbe, took a big risk with the first round pick dealing and then moved out of the top 10. Gutsy. Probably a loser but I like the 3 picks in the top 30 move
Syd - got enough for Mitchell and Nankervis then went to work on some clever pick swaps. Surprised they didn't add a mature player. X Richards wtf?
WC - Vardy is stuffed and Mitchell is a yearly rental, but both worth a shot
Dogs - lost some decent players for unders but they've cleared salary cap and have a couple of nice draft picks, no harm done

Losers:
Adel - losing Lyons not a huge loss but couldn't get the Gibbs deal done and did nothing else
Coll - paid the right price for WHE. Lost Frost for cheap. Got rid of Witts for a good but not great deal. Lost because they did little
Geel - paid up for Touhy, couldn't land Deledio. Lost Kersten for nothing. Caddy deal might not be bad but it isn't good.
GWS - personally think they overpaid for Deledio and they've lost a bunch of young talent for little return

also the bulldogs lost alot of players, are they happy? Who is replacing morris, boyd and murphy next year?

Ambivalent. People forget that we actually haven't delisted anybody and only lost Minson off the main list so trades were necessary to ensure we made our 3 draft selections.

Hamling we got for free and turned into a premiership player worth pick 35. Will be missed though.

Hrovat couldn't crack the team but is an excellent person so we were happy to move him on amicably.

Stevens is a good fringe player for us, he realised he could be a best 18 player elsewhere. Saints got a steal there.

We probably lost each trade individually, but the alternative was delisting players (not necessarily any of those 3) and we'd lose them for nothing so it evens out.

Cloke in is fine, he'll fill a need when called on and seems hungry to join us. Plus we have (from memory) picks 18, 26 and 51 to use. Dalrymple is laughing.

Neutral on our period.

I think I'm probably the only one who thinks Richmond haven't gone about things the right way.

They desperately need to strip back and get some quality kids onto the list, yet they have effectively traded pick 6 for Prestia (B+ mid but injury prone) and next year's second for Caddy (the definition of a B-grader). I think it maybe pushes them back to that 7-10 range but then they lose Deledio anyway, and have precious little key position support at either end for Rance and Riewoldt... etc

Actually think they killed it, top 3 for the period. Caddy and Prestia both slot into their starting midfield, allows Cotchin to play a more outside game which I think benefits him and the side. Allows them to utilise Martin forward more without losing clearances from the midfield plus Caddy adds goals.

Also if they draft needs I think they'll get some of the bargins of the draft with players like Larkey, Cox, Kerr around that 25-50 mark.

Carlton indirectly trade Tuohy for Smedts, Marchbank, Pickett & pick 70
And keep pick 5 & 25

Great trade period by the Blues. Big winners.

Traded next years second in the Tuohy deal as well. A decent trade period nonetheless, keeping pick 5 was the key.

also the bulldogs lost alot of players, are they happy? Who is replacing morris, boyd and murphy next year?

I'm content. Stevens and Hrovat weren't getting games in our midfield and both out of contract. Good players but no significant loss. Hamling hurts a fair bit more as he leaves a hole that will be tougher to fill. At least we got a decent deal out of it, need Cordy or Collins to step up into that role over the next few seasons. Need to convince Adams to stay too.

Winner - GWS

Gained Deledio, moved up to pick 2 to avoid an early academy bid and have enough points left over to get all their academy players still. Didn't lose anyone who was in the best 22.

Loser - Adelaide

Couldn't get the Gibbs deal done and lost Lyons for unders in the process. List is still in a great shape, so they'll survive. Gibbs would've been a brilliant addition. What could have been.

Also impressed by St Kilda and North's trade periods. Brisbane too.

Apparently Geelong don't have to abide by the trade rules the AFL set out with future picks, so the AFL gets a loss for that.

Actually think they killed it, top 3 for the period. Caddy and Prestia both slot into their starting midfield, allows Cotchin to play a more outside game which I think benefits him and the side. Allows them to utilise Martin forward more without losing clearances from the midfield plus Caddy adds goals

Yeah I agree short term, just don't think it gets them into flag contention at all and it's cost them good picks.

Also if they draft needs I think they'll get some of the bargins of the draft with players like Larkey, Cox, Kerr around that 25-50 mark.

They have one pick in any sort of usable range. They probably want to nail it.

I think I'm probably the only one who thinks Richmond haven't gone about things the right way.

They desperately need to strip back and get some quality kids onto the list, yet they have effectively traded pick 6 for Prestia (B+ mid but injury prone) and next year's second for Caddy (the definition of a B-grader). I think it maybe pushes them back to that 7-10 range but then they lose Deledio anyway, and have precious little key position support at either end for Rance and Riewoldt.

Draft picks obviously guarantee nothing but their list is in no man's land anyway - taking 6 and 27 to the draft this year, then having two 1st rounders and their 2nd next year would have given them a great chance to bring talent in.

I guess they committed to Prestia early on and probably didn't bank on their first rounder being so high, but not sure Caddy really improves them from a longer term point of view. To me it's the sort of trade period where you are initially excited because you've brought in names, but when you sit back and properly look at where the list is at and where it will be in the next 3-5 years, they've given up a lot without getting an elite player or pick back.

Nankervis a good trade though.

Agree on our KPP stocks - If Jack or Rance go down next season, we'll be in trouble as a lot rests on their shoulders.

That being said, Prestia and Caddy bolster our midfield and bring tackling and clearance abilities to us - 2 areas we struggled with in 2016. Nankervis seems to be a very physical type of player and also averaged higher tackling figures than any Tiger player this season. All 3 are basically best 22 players just walking through the door at Punt Road. As a bonus, they are all early 20s age wise so fit in nicely with the vast majority of our list.

There's also a few talented players who didn't feature much in 2016 for various reasons (Yarran, Conca, Lennon, McIntosh, Houli among others) that could reasonably also be in our best 22 if form/fitness allows.

Winners
Fremantle - got reasonable players without sacrificing too much in the draft only drop from 3 to 7 in what is a relatively even draft.
Melbourne - kept first round pick and added experience and some talent to list for basically nothing.
Richmond - Lids is a loss but picked up Prestia and Caddy which more than compensates.
Carlton - held onto pick 5, Gibbs and added quality players.
St Kilda - strengthened their squad and should now make finals.
West Coast - picked up Mitchell to add to midfield and Vardy if he can get fit will be a big plus. No downside at all.

Jury out
Gold Coast - added depth to the squad, but not sure the players are as good as what some are making out. Whilst they have a strong draft position, but until we see what those players do you can't say it is a win.
Brisbane - strengthened draft position this year and next and picked up a defender to add to thin stocks down back.
Hawthorn - if JOM gets back to where he was in 2014 and continues that way its a win, if he doesn't get over his knee problems its a loss.
GWS - need to decipher all their pick swaps because lost track of them during the course of everything. Picked up Lids, but lost players too. But given the talent pool they have to draw on through the current academy system it shouldn't make that much difference, their biggest fear is when the AFL changes the academy system or scraps it completely.
Port - I know they wanted to strengthen their draft position this year, but they have sacrificed 2017 draft totally to do it. Had players on the table, but suspect that table was stuck behind a pillar somewhere because no-one looked at them.

Losers
Geelong - horrible trade period. Apart from Touhy nothing to smile about it really, everything else went badly.
Collingwood - sure they landed some midfielders, but when the problem you had was kicking goals and stopping forwards who got on a run the fact you go backwards in these areas is not good.
Adelaide - didn't land their man in Gibbs then lost Lyons late for very little.
Bulldogs - despite winning the flag had a number leave the kennel. Obviously success made people look to adopt a stray dog.

Where were you
North, Sydney, Essendon, left thinking they turned up for the free food and to mingle with friends rather than actually participating.

They didn't get into the first round, they only have one pick inside the top 55 of a strong draft. They will have Geelong's first rounder (likely 15-18) next year though.
pick 5

How did adelaide fluff up the gibbs deal? We were asking for 2 first rounders. While im not happy for just 13 2 first rounders was overs it was like we didnt want to play at all. Cant blame adelaide for that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did adelaide fluff up the gibbs deal? We were asking for 2 first rounders. While im not happy for just 13 2 first rounders was overs it was like we didnt want to play at all. Cant blame adelaide for that
now youre stuck with a player who doesnt want to be there and will likely lose him for severe unders next year after he tanks all year

These threads are only good to provide entertainment in the years to come. Very rarely do things look as good as they are perceived now. Go back and have a look at last years thread. You'll probably read how Collingwood would whisk themselves into premiership contention. Port Adelaide and Richmond huge winners whilst poor old Adelaide would cripple without Dangerfield.

I haven't deciphered the rest of the teams but after a roller-coaster week I'm very happy with Hawthorn's trade period. Not only have they secured their 3 targets, but they went to great effort to get O'meara despite the roadblock in Cochrane. Everyone thinks we've given up the farm for him, but to be honest, that has been said with every player we've brought in over the years.

Lindsay-Lohan-Spits-Out-Drink.gif

off topic, but i cant stop watching this gif lol

They didn't get into the first round, they only have one pick inside the top 55 of a strong draft. They will have Geelong's first rounder (likely 15-18) next year though.
Lol @ Geelong winning the flag next season. Their draw will be a lot harder next year, they've lost two gun veterans and a couple of best 22 players without bringing in anything significant. They're one Dangerfield injury away from disaster.

thought we were clear winners but i am biased

freo and Melbourne did really well but richmond and carlton came home with a wet sail and did exceptionally well in the end
From an outsiders perspective you and Fremantle were the winners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Winners? Losers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back