Review Winners? Losers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I agree short term, just don't think it gets them into flag contention at all and it's cost them good picks.

They have one pick in any sort of usable range. They probably want to nail it.

Short term?

You realise we have 2 firsts next year which is rated strong for KPP which we lack? Also 2 3rds.

We addressed needs this draft. Very happy

Think like what? Do you genuinely think they're a chance to win the flag or are you just trying desperately hard to talk down our Deledio trade? I'm thinking the latter.

Of course they are a chance to contend, and will likely be around the top four. You would obviously want them to do poorly to improve the pick.

I'm not sure why we're being lumped in with the losers.

Caddy: Yes it's unders, but inside mids are probably the one area we could afford to lose if we had to. We get a Pick back in the Top 30.
Tuohy: Trade is a win for us. Smedts is a list clogger.
Vardy: List clogger. No loss.
Kersten: We immediately got a like-for-like in Aaron Black, at a price 30 picks cheaper. I'd take that.

It wasn't the greatest trade period in the history of humanity, but it's fair enough.

If you are claiming that as a win then you really have had a bad week

WINNERS
Richmond, Freo, Melbourne and Saints winners at this stage. Traded very nicely (and cheap) for players that fit their needs.

LOSERS
Collingwood lost a lot and invested heavily in mature players who have question marks over injury/form.
Adelaide- did nothing. Needed to improve their list to improve yet achieved nothing.

JURY OUT
Hawks - if omeara fires it's a big win. If not...
Carlton - if Marchbank and Pickett get over injuries it could be a massive win.

Of course they are a chance to contend, and will likely be around the top four. You would obviously want them to do poorly to improve the pick.
Definitely.

I highly doubt they will challenge and I can see them, Hawthorn and North being the big sliders, but each to their own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints, Demons, Dockers big winners

Cats almighty LOSERS! Questions must be asked of the recruiting team and list management. Very poor!

1. WINNERS: Dockers

Dockers takes the chocolates for mine. Normally so hard for WA teams to pull players across. But this year it was in reverse. Every player they got regenerates holes in their teams and they got each player for unders. Best yet, they really didn't have to work too hard to get it.

2. CLOSE-SECONDS: Demons, Saints & Richmond

Demons, Saints and arguably Richmond did very well as well. Saints bent my team over a barrel for the pick 10 trade, but to be fair, we bent over willingly :)

3. HONOURABLE MENTIONS:
GWS & Norf

GWS pitched out lower-end talent who realistically, would never make their first team. Brought in Deledio which will make them really, really scary next year if he can get fit.

North swooped on some bargain buys and really were the ones operating in the shadows, picking off players on the edges of teams. Picked up talent with plenty of upside without having to give more than a packet of crisps.

4. THE QUIET ACHIEVERS: WCE & Bombers

Both quietly picked up one or two which bolster their side. Mitchell is a big boost for WCE and will be a real general for them in the mid. Bombers, whilst losing Hibs, pick up a very talented forward in Stewart for nothing more than a firm handshake (I'm jealous - I really rate Stewart and spewing Hawks didn't make a play with our stellar pick 88).

5. GWS MARK TWO: Carlton

They have now 9 ex GWS players. Seriously. SOS, you need help man. I really can't rate their trades at the minute. Marchbank will be pretty good, he just didn't have opportunity. Palmer will be nice for the run and adds experience.

6. BATTERED, BLOODY BUT OKAY:
Geelong & Hawks

Hawks & Cats weren't the worst tbh. Geelong feels similar to Hawthorn's trade, but preserved more of its picks: a loss of two experienced players for little to nothing and a loss of a youngster or two with decent experience.

I think getting Tuohy from Carlton really helps a lot though. His drive will be needed off half back now Enright is gone. Good player and trade was about par. The quick snap up of Black is a pretty good like-for-like with Kersten gone.

Offloading Smedts with Tuohy was good business. Arguably allowed the Cats to get back a second round pick. I did not rate Smedts - been stagnating a bit on the list and is quite injury-prone.

7. YOU WIN SOME, YOU LOSE SOME: Gold Coast, Pies and Brisbane

I'm sorry Pies, but I just do not rate Mayne. Maybe he takes that next leap, but aside from being a decent defensive forward, he's a bit underwhelming. Wells is a good pick up - is definitely an improvement in the mid/forward, but the three year deal at his age, with his history, is a concern. WHE may prove a pick, but again, needs to just get on the park consistently before that.

GCS tried and tried and tried to get players up to their sunny shores, and got Lyon, Witts and Hanley. Hanley is a great pick up, and Lyon will be a good 22 player. Witts could go anywhere. Still, they never landed their desired big name players aside from Hanley and another huge exodus of top players will leave a sour taste in their mouth.

Brissy is similar, but probably comes out ahead a little. Lost Hanley, but held onto Rocky. Picked up Frost and secured other players on contract. It's sort of one step back, one step forward.

8. THE "OH WHOOPS WE FORGOT ABOUT YOU" AWARD: Port

Hey Port. You do realise trade week started last week and ended this week.

Hinkley: "Oh crap, well we better tra...." -- TRADE WINDOW HAS CLOSED, PLEASE COME AGAIN NEXT YEAR --

9. RAIDED BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: Doggies & Swans

I'd be a bit miffed being a Doggies supporter. You win the cup, get the glory and then everyone tries to bugger off to WA. Seriously, it's bizarro AFL this year.

Managed to hold onto Adams before he jumped on a plane, but lost Hamling and Stevens for really a pat on the back. Getting Cloke for cheap adds some good competition for the forward line, but now their backline looks a tad exposed, although still not too bad.

Swans too lost some good depth as their salary squeeze hits the next gear. Got some decent picks in exchange, but need to secure Heeney to a contract or see yet more talent run out the door.

10. ANGRY AND UNHAPPY: Adelaide

Sadly, I think Adelaide lose this one. They didn't get their man in Gibbs, though not through lack of effort and lose a solid youngster in Lyons. Whilst they haven't degenerated like some on this list, including my team in Hawthorn, they were the only team not to land their big target who wanted to come to them. They'll be annoyed, as it would have really made them a contender, and now they look a bit weaker without Lyon.

There's my assessment anyway. Tried to be as little biased as possible. Take or leave my opinion, just figured I'd have a stab at the carnage. :)

West coast going under a lot of people's radars. They just added one of the best midfielders in the comp, an area of weakness, and a back up forward/ruck who if he can stay fit, will play good footy. All for Pick 76 and 88. Not the biggest winner, but gave up very little and got a lot.

They didn't get into the first round, they only have one pick inside the top 55 of a strong draft. They will have Geelong's first rounder (likely 15-18) next year though.
This is the unknown but I'm expecting the future pick to be more like 10 - 15, cant see Geelong improving a lot with the turn overs in experience they had this year, not sure if Danger can get any better so would expect them to slip a little.

Absolutely love what we did. Gained young players with speed and plenty of upside while giving up very little. Trading up the order would have been nice, but not too much to complain about overall.

Out: Aaron Black, Daniel Wells, 69, 105, 2017 Rnd 3 pick, 2017 Rnd 4 pick

In: Paul Ahern, Nathan Hrovat, Marley Williams, pick 33, WB 2017 Rnd3 pick, WB Rnd 4 pick

2016 draft picks: 11, 32, 33

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Winners? Losers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back