Young Gun Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

lol. Fair enough. Personally I try not to make statements without informing myself first. It has a tendency to make people question your credentials but I guess that's your right.

Do a list like this and anyone can drive a Mack truck through it. Look at Mike Sheahan every year. In terms of this list I feel more foolish leaving Bennell out than Beams but as I said I was looking at potential for the Saints. I think every player on that list bar Heppell and Martin could end up captain of a club. Martin I could not leave out cos at 19 his potential is just off the scale and Heppell is not that far behind though some are saying he has been poor in the last half of this year.

IMHO I have seen what Beams can do and I hear he is easily led so I don't have him on my list. He is on plenty of others though.

= 1. Cotchin
= 1. Dangerfield (Couldn't split them)
3. Beams
4. Martin
5. Fyfe
6. Bennell
7. Shuey
8. Sloane
9. Sidebottom
10. Jetta, Lewis

Martin would be in my second tier of 11-20 because I think he has gone backwards a bit this year as a midfielder and is playing his best footy up forward where he is super dangerous.

Martin would be in my second tier of 11-20 because I think he has gone backwards a bit this year as a midfielder and is playing his best footy up forward where he is super dangerous.

Yeah, everyone looks at it differently. I personally think Dangerfield is the absolute standout but Martin was the one player I could be swayed to take ahead of him because of what he has the potential to be.

A few years back we started to see the next group of midfielders coming through to take over from Hird, Buckley, Havey, Voss, Cousins etc.

Now those players are closer to the end than the start of their careers - players like Bartels, Mitchell, Hayes, boomer Harvey, Judd, Hodge etc.

So if you were the list manager at your club, how would you rank the top young gun midfielders, choice 1 - 10? 1 being your first choice for your club.

Here's mine,

1. Dangerfield
2. Martin
3. Hannebury
4. Cotchin
5. Sidebottom
6. Fyfe
7. Heppell
8. Zeibell
9. D.Swallow
10. Steven

The fact you put Steven in front of Beams and or Shuey makes this thread null and void

IMHO I have seen what Beams can do and I hear he is easily led so I don't have him on my list. He is on plenty of others though.

He is only plenty of others. Pretty much all others.

If your comment about Beams being "easily led" is your reason for him being left off, how could you possibly include Martin???

He is only plenty of others. Pretty much all others.

If your comment about Beams being "easily led" is your reason for him being left off, how could you possibly include Martin???

I think I explained it. At 19, for me his potential is just too prodigous to ignore. Bit I am very comfortable with my top 5. But for Martin (and who knows as a bonus he may mature) they are all gun players that could captain the club.

As I said before, this is not a thread saying "Here is my list, what do you think?" it is "here is my list what is yours?"

You may have a whole different selection criteria for your club. You may want speed or link player or in an under. I wanted a clearance player that had leadership credentials and I could not ignore Martin cos I think he is that good.

1. Cotchin
2. Dangerfield
3. Beams
4. Fyfe
5. Shuey
6. Martin
7. Sloane
8. Sidebottom
9. Bennell
10. Treloar

The first 4 could probably go in any order. Probably would have had Fyfe No.1 pre-injury, but the other 3 have really broken out this year. About 15 players who could easily go 5-10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OP could have saved himself some time and made a thread 'Jack Steven is a young gun' because it seems that was obviously the aim.

Personally, I wouldn't even pick Steven ahead of Jarryd Blair

I'd take Steven over Blair without a second thought. Kid is a gun and slips under the radar.

It's amazing how much Stephen Hill's stock has fallen. Beginning of last year I'd guess he would have been close to the top of most of these lists. Now he's not even mentioned.

Excluding any Melbourne boys in the age group (Grimes, Trengove)...

1. Cotchin
2. Bennell
3. Beams
4. Fyfe
5. Dangerfield
6. Swallow
7. Ward
8. Hartlett
9. Hannerberry
10. Sidebottom

Any more North supporters want to comment on Heppell?

This is the same mob who continuously try to post videos every where of Heppell and refer to him as Shortsteppell?

Thought you would never ask..... but since you have, I didn't think he did much last night to be honest.....

Do a list like this and anyone can drive a Mack truck through it. Look at Mike Sheahan every year. In terms of this list I feel more foolish leaving Bennell out than Beams but as I said I was looking at potential for the Saints. I think every player on that list bar Heppell and Martin could end up captain of a club. Martin I could not leave out cos at 19 his potential is just off the scale and Heppell is not that far behind though some are saying he has been poor in the last half of this year.

I genuinely hope, and so does a St. Kilda supporter I know who've I've spoken about it with, that Jack Steven never captains that football club. Alarming number of indiscretions for a person of his age whose playing under two of the biggest modern legends in football.

Most BF posters have short memories.
No, Hill's just gradually declined since a great first season. Against us, I remember, he kicked a super goal in the first term and was barely seen again the minute we gave him a tag. Been passed a few times IMO. Still has potential...

1 - Cotchin (RICH)
2 - Dangerfield (ADEL)
3 - Beams (COLL)
4 - Rockliff (BRIS)
5 - Fyfe (FREO)
6 - Bennell (GC)
7 - Sloane (ADEL)
8 - Gaff (WCE)
9 - Ziebell (NM)
10 - Sidebottom (COLL)

11-20: Ward, Hannebery, Shuey, Jetta, Grimes*, Martin, Greene, D. Swallow, Heppell and Hartlett.

There are so many talented young mids in the comp at the moment, time will sort them out (the best of the best and the rest).

* I am biased - sue me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Young Gun Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back