Your 2007 Adelaide Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously in today's climate the standard '6 x 3' formation is irrelevant with wingmen and flankers mostly playing as rotational midfielders, but here's my tilt prior to trades and draft picks, obviously.
Code:
B:   B. Hart      B. Rutten     N. Bassett
HB:  A. McLeod    N. Bock       G. Johncock
C:   B. Burton    R. Shirley    N. Van Berlo  
HF:  S. Thompson  I. Perrie     M. Bode
F:   K. McGregor  S. Welsh      M. Ricciuto   
R:   B. Hudson    S. Goodwin    T. Edwards

IC (From): M. Doughty, B. Reilly, I. Maric, J. Torney, 
           M. Mattner, J. Porplyzia, C. Knights, J. Meesen, 
           K. Massie, R. Douglas, S. Stevens

Not considered due to injury - Hentschel, Biglands
Assumed retired - Clarke

Anyone who says we have a list low on talent is in dreamland - I can't remember when doing this exercise previously, having so many selection headaches with players to choose from.

maccas_no1 said:
West Adelaide perhaps???

Either you are being sarcastic or you’re a hypocrite?

Are you going to suggest that Mad Dog is talking crazy by having Scott Welsh start back at West Adelaide or you are being hypocritical because you are so adamant that senior player have a divine right to play AFL football?

MadDog said:
.....ummmmm - getting hungrier at Broadspectrum.....;)

B: Johncock Rutten Bassett
HB: McLeod Stevens Mattner
C: Doughty Shirley Massie
HF: Burton Perrie Bock
F: Bode McGregor Ricciuto
1R: Clarke Goodwin Edwards
INT: Torney Hudson Welsh Hart

No place for Pfieffer, Reilly, Douglas, Knights, van Berlo, Vince, Meesen, Maric, Porplyzia... you can't risk playing youngsters when a FLAG is at stake. Young players are too inconsistent. We have to play our best 22 players. Save 'developing your list' for the years when you aren't a chance to win one.

Or so everyone has been telling me this year.

dyertribe said:
Code:
B:   B. Hart      B. Rutten     N. Bassett
HB:  A. McLeod    N. Bock       G. Johncock
C:   B. Burton    R. Shirley    N. Van Berlo  
HF:  S. Thompson  I. Perrie     M. Bode
F:   K. McGregor  S. Welsh      M. Ricciuto   
R:   B. Hudson    S. Goodwin    T. Edwards

IC (From): M. Doughty, B. Reilly, I. Maric, J. Torney, 
           M. Mattner, J. Porplyzia, C. Knights, J. Meesen, 
           K. Massie, R. Douglas, S. Stevens

Ah come on Dyertribe, you need to select your 4 interchange players. That is the toughest choice and you've backed out.

Its going to be very, very interesting to see how Craig handles next year in terms of giving younger guys some game time. Injuries will sort a few things out, no doubt.

I like the pace of your HB line, although I'd like to see Johncock given a run in the midfield.

With Trent's injury, I wish we had two Bocks. Never thought I would ever say that. :)

crows98 said:
Either you are being sarcastic or you’re a hypocrite?

Are you going to suggest that Mad Dog is talking crazy by having Scott Welsh start back at West Adelaide or you are being hypocritical because you are so adamant that senior player have a divine right to play AFL football?

Your the one suggesting you want the AFC to win a flag but you want to 'blood' evey kid on our list and get rid of our already proven match winners to the SANFL not me:rolleyes:

B Bassett Rutten Johncock
HB McLeod Stevens Reilly
C Mattner van Berlo Douglas
HF Burton Perrie Welsh
F Bode Bock Ricciuto
1R Hudson Goodwin Thompson
Int Meesen, Porplyzia, Shirley, Edwards

E Maric, Torney, Doughty, Massie, McGregor, Pfieffer, Knights, Vince

If van Berlo and Porplyzia can successfully fulfill the role that Shirley has recently, Shirley would be next in line to be dropped if his form not up to scratch.

If any KPP is injured or out of form, McGregor would come into the FF position, with the resultant shuffling of positions occuring depending on who was omitted.

TheLeftFist8 said:
If van Berlo and Porplyzia can successfully fulfill the role that Shirley has recently, Shirley would be next in line to be dropped if his form not up to scratch.

Shirley is one of the most underrated quiet achievers at the club. When he was out injured for some time I believe last year, his loss was bigger than expected. VB is definitely a good tagger but I wouldn't underestimate Shirey's impact on the team. Porplyzia is not really a tagger so I don't see Shirley making way for Porplyzia.

porpouglas said:
Shirley is one of the most underrated quiet achievers at the club. When he was out injured for some time I believe last year, his loss was bigger than expected. VB is definitely a good tagger but I wouldn't underestimate Shirey's impact on the team. Porplyzia is not really a tagger so I don't see Shirley making way for Porplyzia.
Why so?......he's played the majority of his footy at Westies as a BP, he's an inside player with good tackling skills .....onl;y question amrk (and it's a big one) is his endurance levels

maccas_no1 said:
Your the one suggesting you want the AFC to win a flag but you want to 'blood' evey kid on our list and get rid of our already proven match winners to the SANFL not me:rolleyes:

So it’s ok to send a senior player like Scott Welsh back to the SANFL because you don’t like or respect him and can not see his value to the side but Michael Doughty is a different story because he had a good year.

B great midfielder are very easy to find and a new one will pop up ever year, show where the Adelaide Crows can find a 60 goal forward who have very good defensive skills, and you can drop him.

Michael Doughty is not going to be the difference between the AFC winning and losing a Grand Final, Rhett Biglands is already gone for the season so his absence isn’t going to make that much difference. Scott Welsh is a 60 goal forward (that a fact and it’s proven) and with a good pre season under his belt he will be a valuable member of the forward line.

crows98 said:
So it’s ok to send a senior player like Scott Welsh back to the SANFL because you don’t like or respect him and can not see his value to the side but Michael Doughty is a different story because he had a good year.

B great midfielder are very easy to find and a new one will pop up ever year, show where the Adelaide Crows can find a 60 goal forward who have very good defensive skills, and you can drop him.

Michael Doughty is not going to be the difference between the AFC winning and losing a Grand Final, Rhett Biglands is already gone for the season so his absence isn’t going to make that much difference. Scott Welsh is a 60 goal forward (that a fact and it’s proven) and with a good pre season under his belt he will be a valuable member of the forward line.

You really are back tracking and stubbling over your own comments, it is laughable, first you are ripping the midfeild apart on another thread now you are finally recognising our weakness is our forwardline:rolleyes:

We have heaps of midfeilders and good ones at that we have a good defence our forwardline is our let down you can have the best midfeilders in the comp ala West Coast but if you have nobody in your fowardline who can take a catch what is the point?? The AFC have lacked a geunine match winning goal kicker who can be relied on to kick a bag of goals week in week out for a long time, we have players with the potential to kick bags of goals week in week out but they dont, our forwardline is our weakness and it has been proven again this year when we have been forced to play Bock there.

maccas_no1 said:
You really are back tracking and stubbling over your own comments, it is laughable, first you are ripping the midfeild apart on another thread now you are finally recognising our weakness is our forwardline:rolleyes:

We have heaps of midfeilders and good ones at that we have a good defence our forwardline is our let down you can have the best midfeilders in the comp ala West Coast but if you have nobody in your fowardline who can take a catch what is the point?? The AFC have lacked a geunine match winning goal kicker who can be relied on to kick a bag of goals week in week out for a long time, we have players with the potential to kick bags of goals week in week out but they dont, our forwardline is our weakness and it has been proven again this year when we have been forced to play Bock there.

Round 1 2007

F: Mark Ricciuto Ken McGregor Mathew Bode

HF: Tyson Edwards Ian Perrie Scott Welsh

C: Martin Mattner Scott Thompson Brett Burton

HB: Brent Reilly Nathan Bock Andrew Mcleod

FB: Nathan Bassett Ben Rutten Graham Johncock

Ruck: Ben Hudson Simon Goodwin Robert Shirley

Interchange: Nathan Van Berlo, Richard Douglas, John Meesen, Michael Doughty

That’s was my side (page 1) and I have Scott Welsh in there, along with Ian Perrie and Ken McGregor. After thinking about our demise on Saturday, it was the problem in our midfield that needed fixing and that why I demoted Michael Doughty to the SANFL and this opened up an opportunity for one of the youngsters.

Mad Dog was the one who didn’t have Scott Welsh in his forward line and I simply asked him “what about Welsh”? I have a place for Scott Welsh in my forward 50 every day of the week.

If you want to start talking about effectiveness of the forward line compared to the midfield go look at the stats for the year.

The AFC forward line was ranked second in points for, but the midfield were not so dominate in clearances around the ground, clearances or at stoppages, how about hard ball gets or are they stats that don’t really matter.

We fell down in the midfield, not the forward line. The forward line didn’t fire last weekend because the class of the West Coast midfield basically got on top after half time and dominated the clearances, giving them first opportunity to use the ball. How can our forward line be effective if the ball is being bombed in on there heads.

I am not backtracking, as it’s the midfield (how can the forwards get it out of the centre) that is the problem, not the forward 50.

You are a hypocrite, you argue that Michael Doughty should have a place in the midfield yet you are not willing to give the same respect to Scott welsh or Ian Perrie?

IMO Perrie & Welsh need to impress in the pre-season to get a shot at Rd 1. They were never superstars and have obviously been hobbled by injury this year. One of them should make the team for the sake of structure, but I think they are competing against each other for the spot. Welsh would be my preference.

Bock, Roo, McGregor as our key forwards. Huddo or M&M pinch hitting up forward. I even like the idea of Rutten going to FF if we can cover him in the backlines. Stevens at FB, Bock at CHB?

Dogga averaged over 20 possessions a game this year. The guy has easily cemented his spot in the 22 every week.

Also, the finals series has turned me into a solid fan of Shirley. Very few players in our team get onto the hard ball as this guy.

KUNG FU said:
I even like the idea of Rutten going to FF if we can cover him in the backlines.

and for me thats one of the most dissapointing aspects of craig's year ... that we didnt try him there. not even when we beat essendon by 500 points or whatever.

sure if it doesnt work fine but you have to know these things. same goes for johncock in the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KUNG FU said:
I even like the idea of Rutten going to FF if we can cover him in the backlines. Stevens at FB, Bock at CHB?

I also like the idea...huge target, strong hands, accurate kick. Personally, i would put Bock at FB, Stevens at CHB in that scenario as i would worry about Stevens one-on-one so close to goal, but further up the ground chasing leads not as bad or costly if beaten.

slappy said:
and for me thats one of the most dissapointing aspects of craig's year ... that we didnt try him there. not even when we beat essendon by 500 points or whatever.

sure if it doesnt work fine but you have to know these things. same goes for johncock in the midfield.
We played Rutten at FF in both of the games against Bulldogs.

Stiffy_18 said:

i missed the mcg game but i dont remember him playing there earlier, i dont doubt you though.

in any case we know he is quality down back but we dont know much about him up forward especially given the number of easy shots we seem to miss.

Stiffy_18 said:

One game our midfield dominated the other they didn’t.

With a strong and dominating midfield it make the forward line’s job so much easier, when the other midfield is on top it makes the forward look like they are next to useless.

McLeod23 said:
Ah come on Dyertribe, you need to select your 4 interchange players. That is the toughest choice and you've backed out.

I would've had no trouble halfway through the year, but the way guys like Doughty, Stevens, Bode, Torney, Massie and Van Berlo have come on has really made it hard.

If I was forced to pick 4 out of the extended bench for Round 1 I'd probably go:

Maric, Mattner, Doughty, Stevens - with apologies to Torney and Reilly.

Its going to be very, very interesting to see how Craig handles next year in terms of giving younger guys some game time. Injuries will sort a few things out, no doubt.

If Douglas and Knights are good enough they'll break in during the course of the season for sure. Between talent and attrition their hardwork will eventually be rewarded.

I like the pace of your HB line, although I'd like to see Johncock given a run in the midfield.

A couple of years ago his natural progression looked like he'd make that step - a la Shaun Burgoyne, forward and back then into the guts.

He's certainly proven he'd have no trouble in midfield traffic, some of his decision making and composure during pressure situations in the back-50 have been superb.

I just have a question mark on his aerobic capacity to play in the midfield fulltime - which is ultimately what you'd want, as opposed to intermittent bursts that may effect his ability to consistently play well, which is what he well and truly achieved this year as a running defender.

With Trent's injury, I wish we had two Bocks. Never thought I would ever say that. :)

Having been a Bock believer for a long time, I can only echo your sentimonys ;)

crows98 said:
Round 1 2007

F: Mark Ricciuto Ken McGregor Mathew Bode

HF: Tyson Edwards Ian Perrie Scott Welsh

C: Martin Mattner Scott Thompson Brett Burton

HB: Brent Reilly Nathan Bock Andrew Mcleod

FB: Nathan Bassett Ben Rutten Graham Johncock

Ruck: Ben Hudson Simon Goodwin Robert Shirley

Interchange: Nathan Van Berlo, Richard Douglas, John Meesen, Michael Doughty

That’s was my side (page 1) and I have Scott Welsh in there, along with Ian Perrie and Ken McGregor. After thinking about our demise on Saturday, it was the problem in our midfield that needed fixing and that why I demoted Michael Doughty to the SANFL and this opened up an opportunity for one of the youngsters.

Mad Dog was the one who didn’t have Scott Welsh in his forward line and I simply asked him “what about Welsh”? I have a place for Scott Welsh in my forward 50 every day of the week.

If you want to start talking about effectiveness of the forward line compared to the midfield go look at the stats for the year.

The AFC forward line was ranked second in points for, but the midfield were not so dominate in clearances around the ground, clearances or at stoppages, how about hard ball gets or are they stats that don’t really matter.

We fell down in the midfield, not the forward line. The forward line didn’t fire last weekend because the class of the West Coast midfield basically got on top after half time and dominated the clearances, giving them first opportunity to use the ball. How can our forward line be effective if the ball is being bombed in on there heads.

I am not backtracking, as it’s the midfield (how can the forwards get it out of the centre) that is the problem, not the forward 50.

You are a hypocrite, you argue that Michael Doughty should have a place in the midfield yet you are not willing to give the same respect to Scott welsh or Ian Perrie?

You didnt get my comment did you??? Whoosh straight over your head, I was being sacastic, but good to se you have gone back on your owrd and you have Doughty in the AFC line up next year:thumbsu:

As for Massie well he will just have to play for Norwood:rolleyes:

maccas_no1 said:
You didnt get my comment did you??? Whoosh straight over your head, I was being sacastic, but good to se you have gone back on your owrd and you have Doughty in the AFC line up next year:thumbsu:

As for Massie well he will just have to play for Norwood:rolleyes:

Pot. Kettle. Black

And roll your eyes as much as you like. Deigning the fact our midfield is the problem will not make it go away. You can blame the forward line if that helps you sleep but the problem is the midfield. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

crows98 said:
Pot. Kettle. Black

And roll your eyes as much as you like. Deigning the fact our midfield is the problem will not make it go away. You can blame the forward line if that helps you sleep but the problem is the midfield. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So what is wrong with the midfeild??? What's not wrong with our forwardline???

maccas_no1 said:
So what is wrong with the midfeild??? What's not wrong with our forwardline???

How can it be the forward line when they have kicked the second highest amount of points for this season?

Where does the Adelaide Crows midfield rank in clearances, stoppages, hard ball gets and contested possession won?

maccas_no1, I think you are seriously over-reacting here.

Our midfield has been average this year. In every key statistical category this year we have been average or below average when it comes to our midfield. We have been spanked in clearences, hard ball gets, 1st possesions and every other key performance indicator as far as midfield is concerned. Midfield is more of the issue than forward line. We get beaten in the midfield way too often and that is just not good enough for a side aspiring to go all the way.

Secondly, players like Massie bob up every year. EVERY single year there is a player that plays well enough for us to beleive he is in the best 22 but next season he is struggling for a game. Skipworth was in our best 22 last year and this year he is in danger of getting delisted. There are better players on our list than Massie and injuries permitting, the most likely scenario next year will see Massie doing a Skippy. A fit Torney gets into the side over Massie every time.

There will be some players from our best 22 this year that will struggle to get a game next year. Its a natural evolution of the list where better options present themselves and I for one would be bitterly disappointed if our round 1 line up next year is the same as the one that played the Eagles (minus Clarke and Biglands of course).

While I doubt Doughty will be the one to drop back, if I had to pick one, Massie would be my first choice. Nothing against the lad because I have stood up for him in the past when others were quick to sink the boots.

You can bring this thread up in 12 months time and I am sure your reaction would be different.

Stiffy_18 said:
maccas_no1, I think you are seriously over-reacting here.

Our midfield has been average this year. In every key statistical category this year we have been average or below average when it comes to our midfield. We have been spanked in clearences, hard ball gets, 1st possesions and every other key performance indicator as far as midfield is concerned. Midfield is more of the issue than forward line. We get beaten in the midfield way too often and that is just not good enough for a side aspiring to go all the way.

Secondly, players like Massie bob up every year. EVERY single year there is a player that plays well enough for us to beleive he is in the best 22 but next season he is struggling for a game. Skipworth was in our best 22 last year and this year he is in danger of getting delisted. There are better players on our list than Massie and injuries permitting, the most likely scenario next year will see Massie doing a Skippy. A fit Torney gets into the side over Massie every time.

There will be some players from our best 22 this year that will struggle to get a game next year. Its a natural evolution of the list where better options present themselves and I for one would be bitterly disappointed if our round 1 line up next year is the same as the one that played the Eagles (minus Clarke and Biglands of course).

While I doubt Doughty will be the one to drop back, if I had to pick one, Massie would be my first choice. Nothing against the lad because I have stood up for him in the past when others were quick to sink the boots.

You can bring this thread up in 12 months time and I am sure your reaction would be different.

I just feel not only the AFC but NC is more loyal to his playing group than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your 2007 Adelaide Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back