Zac walks out of St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

True but we'd also lost Nathan Brown at the start of the year so our key defence depth was challenged in 2011 far more than StKildas was in 2009.

Our best three key defenders>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Zac Dawson

Not on Grand Final day he wasnt. Reid was part of the reason we lost the Grand Final.

He was not up to it.

Not on Grand Final day he wasnt. Reid was part of the reason we lost the Grand Final.

He was not up to it.

That was the point I was making though. With Nathan Brown already missing we were forced to take a punt on Reid who had had an AA season.

I was simply comparing an injured Reid costing us a flag to a fully fit Zac Dawson costing StKilda a flag. Collingwood were two key defenders down (and forced to play one)........StKilda were only one down and at that it was a player in his final season.

That was the point I was making though. With Nathan Brown already missing we were forced to take a punt on Reid who had had an AA season.

I was simply comparing an injured Reid costing us a flag to a fully fit Zac Dawson costing StKilda a flag. Collingwood were two key defenders down (and forced to play one)........StKilda were only one down and at that it was a player in his final season.

Zac never cost StKilda a flag and it's fact that he's actually played very well in finals.

It fits into a well-worn narrative of St Kilda being the only authors of their lack of success, rather than being beaten by a great team in a Grand Final. Actually, only Hawthorn have played them better in a Grand Final in this era.

Dawson wasnt injured. Reid was as you owell know, and as Brown was already out we were forced to take a punt on Reid. It was a choice between him or Keefe who is a first year senior player and would have been our fourth choice key defender. God knows who StKildas fourth choice would have been in 2009.

I've already said Dawson isnt the worst footballer on the planet but he certainly aint much chop. At the end of the day StKilda should be glad to see the back of him simply because he is a massive distraction off field. Watters now needs to put Gilbert on a one year warning or out he goes as well.

Dawson wasnt injured. Reid was as you owell know, and as Brown was already out we were forced to take a punt on Reid. It was a choice between him or Keefe who is a first year senior player and would have been our fourth choice key defender. God knows who StKildas fourth choice would have been in 2009.

I've already said Dawson isnt the worst footballer on the planet but he certainly aint much chop. At the end of the day StKilda should be glad to see the back of him simply because he is a massive distraction off field. Watters now needs to put Gilbert on a one year warning or out he goes as well.

No it wsa a choice between an unfit Reid and a fit and capable Goldsack.

No it wsa a choice between an unfit Reid and a fit and capable Goldsack.

Fair cop, he's not quite a key defender though. Not sure he would have been able to handle Hawkins either.....or Podsiadly for that matter assuming he didnt get injured during the game. Personally I'd have had Goldy on the sub bench ahead of Fasolo because of his versatility and Reid could have hobbled off at half time if neccessary.

Sometimes you take a punt and it pays off (Stevie J), sometimes it doesnt.

All of this is off topic anyway and has little to do with Zac Dawson.

Fair enough I worded it poorly. No individual alone cost StKilda a flag. It was a team effort. Zac being not quite the quality required certainly contributed.

The same could be said Reid when he was exposed one out in the GF this year. Just not up to it. He along with Didak and Maxwell showed how a big game exposes them.

Dawson wasnt injured. Reid was as you owell know, and as Brown was already out we were forced to take a punt on Reid.

meh, if Brown's stocks can rise in keeping an injured Riewoldt to his career averages Reid's can be lowered by being embarrassed by Hawkins.

I've already said Dawson isnt the worst footballer on the planet but he certainly aint much chop

He has his limitations but he certainly hasn't disgraced himself in recent finals as intimated earlier.

Riewoldt had played 10 games straight prior to GF1 and was back to his "career average" after about three games. Injury was not a factor by that stage of the season, unless you are suggesting he was suddenly re-injured after his 22 possession 11 mark 3 goal QF against Geelong. Five inside 50's too....he must have done some running that night.

Browns stocks went up in his merits. Reids stock have not changed. Perhaps Malthouses have, because he made a mistake playing him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riewoldt had played 10 games straight prior to GF1 and was back to his "career average" after about three games. Injury was not a factor by that stage of the season, unless you are suggesting he was suddenly re-injured after his 22 possession 11 mark 3 goal QF against Geelong. Five inside 50's too....he must have done some running that night.

Browns stocks went up in his merits. Reids stock have not changed. Perhaps Malthouses have, because he made a mistake playing him.

Yet Collingwood supporters are using Maxwells pre season injury for his poor form and even Didaks late injury in 2010 for his horrid form in 2011.:eek: Riewoldts was far more restricting than both.

The same could be said Reid when he was exposed one out in the GF this year. Just not up to it. He along with Didak and Maxwell showed how a big game exposes them.

Not making excuses - Cats the better team and deserved the win in the GF.

You must be blind Humpy - Maxwell had injuries described as akin to a car crash victim, Reid was on one leg, Didak had his pectoral injury. All interrupted preparations. Reid also copped a corky during the game. Most supporters didn't think the Pies could win the GF after the Hawks Prelim.
I was suprised we stayed with them for 3 1/2 quarters.

Probably still good enough to beat the Saints though. Remember?:D
Reid beat Kosi with only one good ankle in 2010 GF. Didak two goals; Maxwell was amongst the best in the draw and the replay.

Zac was serviceable as a fullback but the Saints only played him because they have no-one else to play in the position. Blake too slow, Archer unproven, Gilbert worse one-on-one, Fisher - robs you of his rebound play etc etc

As for Riewoldt - his main problem in the GF was not injury, it was Nathan Brown.:D

Yet Collingwood supporters are using Maxwells pre season injury for his poor form and even Didaks late injury in 2010 for his horrid form in 2011.:eek: Riewoldts was far more restricting than both.

But the stats belie the theory. Riewoldts form was very good especially in the QF and SF and also in GF1...........albeit maybe not at AA levels of 2009 but certainly very good...."career average" as your fellow apologist like to put it.

So I ask again.....did his injury suddenly flare up again? Did he injure himself trying to kick the ball onto Punt Road?

But the stats belie the theory. Riewoldts form was very good especially in the QF and SF and also in GF1...........albeit maybe not at AA levels of 2009 but certainly very good...."career average" as your fellow apologist like to put it.

So I ask again.....did his injury suddenly flare up again? Did he injure himself trying to kick the ball onto Punt Road?

Look at his averages against Collingwood before and after injury.

Well thats correct. He tore us a hole many times. Collingwood wasnt good enough in 08 and 09. Brown and Reid were still in development learning their craft in the VFL.....along with half a dozen other premiership teammates, and Presti and Wakelin simply couldnt keep up with Riewoldt.

Collingwood got better. Thats why teams win premierships. They improve. Across the board. And dont rely on any individual if possible to carry them.

Riewoldts hamstring injury (which he had long since recovered from by SEPT 2010, ten weeks of match practice plus 2-3 weeks of full training) has got nothing to do with it.

Well thats correct. He tore us a hole many times. Collingwood wasnt good enough in 08 and 09. Brown and Reid were still in development learning their craft in the VFL.....along with half a dozen other premiership teammates, and Presti and Wakelin simply couldnt keep up with Riewoldt.

Collingwood got better. Thats why teams win premierships. They improve. Across the board. And dont rely on any individual if possible to carry them.

Riewoldts hamstring injury (which he had long since recovered from by SEPT 2010, ten weeks of match practice plus 2-3 weeks of full training) has got nothing to do with it.

LOL he bent Brown over and the Collingwood defense in the final in 2009. If you think a 15 week leg injury doesn't restrict a AFL footballer you know nothing. Ecpecially a footballer like Riewoldt who's running for a key forward is above all others we've seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Zac walks out of St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back