Zac walks out of St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does StK have this salary cap problem - who on earth is getting all the coin!!! $8m is alot to spend on that list.

these guys would all be on a bit of coin and they have other who will want more $$$ on their next contract.

Riewoldt, Dal Santo, Goddard,Montagna, Gilbert, Gram(maybe), Hayes(maybe), Mline, Ray(Maybe)

Exactly how many goals has Slack Dawson kicked in his career ?

I think your stretching it a bit to include in his skills that he usually bags a goal when he goes forward.:rolleyes:

Dawson gives away to many free kicks for a full back and he isn't predictable to his teammates in the way he plays. If I was a Saints fan I would be happy to see the back of him.

He rarely goes forward but the few times he has in the last couple of years he has jagged one. Sure it is not a biggy but it is an extra element.

I think one of the successes with the Saints defense is that they know exactly how each other play, Zac included so I won't give you that one. Yes he gives a few kicks away but very hard no to nowadays as a key defender.

I don't think he is critical to Saints but we have no walk up replacement so he will be missed if he goes.

No love for Stanley? Could he potentially play key position in the backline?

Seems to me Gwilt and Fisher will have to fill the key positions...leaving StKilda with plenty of talent but a bit light on for size against the monster forwards....and thats assuming Gwilt doesnt have any injury setbacks.

I agree Zac will leave a hole in the Saints defence. Saints like having Fisher as the spare man in defence but he will need to be more accountable next year. There are a lot of Zac's at other clubs. They are required and can be maligned by their supporters or easy targets for other supporters.

Thompson at the Roos, Shoenmaker at the Hawks, Hooker at the Bombers, Bower at the Blues, Warnock at the Dees (gone now), Rance at Richmond, Tom Williams at the Dogs - even Mackie at the Cats and Maxwell at the Pies.

As much as Zac cops it he will be handy for Freo - it will free up McPharlin more who will be able to play the Sam Fisher role. My opinion is every team needs a Zac Dawson and most have one!

Thompson at the Roos, Shoenmaker at the Hawks, Hooker at the Bombers, Bower at the Blues, Warnock at the Dees (gone now), Rance at Richmond, Tom Williams at the Dogs - even Mackie at the Cats and Maxwell at the Pies.

Some of those you have named are either younger than Dawson (hence with upside) or dont neccessarily play key position. You're especialy harsh on Rance and Hooker imo.

Ball showed what sort of a clubman he really is.:thumbsdown:
His former St Kilda team mates and his current Collingwood team mates know exactly what sort of person he is which is entirely the point about how he was handled at St Kilda. He'll play for almost minimum wage in 2012. He didn't move for money he moved because he was not appreciated and poorly handled by Ross Lyon.

Some of those you have named are either younger than Dawson (hence with upside) or dont neccessarily play key position. You're especialy harsh on Rance and Hooker imo.

But they are all maligned back man that play a role at their club - but not a club favourite. All between 190-195 cm. Tigers believe Rance directly contribute too 3 opposition goals per game. Hooker was packing his bag for QLD a week a go. Just add Benny Hill music to his chase on Buddy last year. Comedy gold:thumbsu:

Dawson was voted best finals player in 2010. That is football at a very good level.

His former St Kilda team mates and his current Collingwood team mates know exactly what sort of person he is which is entirely the point about how he was handled at St Kilda. He'll play for almost minimum wage in 2012. He didn't move for money he moved because he was not appreciated and poorly handled by Ross Lyon.

The reasons that he apparently left according to you show he wasnt a clubman at all. If every player sooked up and left his club after his coach asked them to work on areas of there game thered be mass walkouts each year. Great players and clubman take it on the chin and work there arse off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zac is a very good spoiler IMO.

Suited to Ross Lyon and his game plan, where fisting away is golden.

Hmm, could have had Will Thursfield for less coin if that is his sole role and objective, spoiling.

Personally I feel Dawson is overated and somewhat soft, especially when he played against Barry Hall he looked like a frightened deer.

Oh well, Lyon bringing him over to Freo reminds me of Wallace bringing McMahon over to Richmond. And we know how that ended. ;)

The reasons that he apparently left according to you show he wasnt a clubman at all. If every player sooked up and left his club after his coach asked them to work on areas of there game thered be mass walkouts each year. Great players and clubman take it on the chin and work there arse off.

Oh you missed your calling - you should have been a comedian Humpy:p

Rattling on about Luke Ball not being a clubman. Ex Saints captain who stood down from the captaincy when he had osteitus pubis.

His handling was butchered by Ross Lyon (the epitomy of "club loyalty" at the Saints) and David "the bubble" Missen (another "loyal saint" - gone to Melbourne).
Missen admits in his book that Lyon had lost faith in Ball and the contract offered him was "much reduced".

Pies fitness guru David Buttifant helped Ball manage his condition better.

Buttifant as quoted in The Age:
"Buttifant pauses before nominating Ball as the most professional player he has come across in his long career at Collingwood, but only briefly. The midfielder, he said, gets into the club before any other player, is always last to leave, and fills every second of the time in between, the best way he knows how." - (obviously not a clubman?!):D
and ....."Ball's average 20-metre sprint time during the last pre-season was around the 2.80 second mark. That's quick."

Move on...Ball has, Lyon has, Missen has...

Hmm, could have had Will Thursfield for less coin if that is his sole role and objective, spoiling.

Personally I feel Dawson is overated and somewhat soft, especially when he played against Barry Hall he looked like a frightened deer.

Oh well, Lyon bringing him over to Freo reminds me of Wallace bringing McMahon over to Richmond. And we know how that ended. ;)

I think you're missing the point.

Getting McMahon cost you Callan Ward. Getting Dawson would cost Freo nothing.

Oh you missed your calling - you should have been a comedian Humpy:p

Rattling on about Luke Ball not being a clubman. Ex Saints captain who stood down from the captaincy when he had osteitus pubis.

His handling was butchered by Ross Lyon (the epitomy of "club loyalty" at the Saints) and David "the bubble" Missen (another "loyal saint" - gone to Melbourne).
Missen admits in his book that Lyon had lost faith in Ball and the contract offered him was "much reduced".

Pies fitness guru David Buttifant helped Ball manage his condition better.

Buttifant as quoted in The Age:
"Buttifant pauses before nominating Ball as the most professional player he has come across in his long career at Collingwood, but only briefly. The midfielder, he said, gets into the club before any other player, is always last to leave, and fills every second of the time in between, the best way he knows how." - (obviously not a clubman?!):D
and ....."Ball's average 20-metre sprint time during the last pre-season was around the 2.80 second mark. That's quick."

Move on...Ball has, Lyon has, Missen has...

Great so he decided to work on the things Lyon suggested he had to. Only thing is he burnt his mates for money and for a pat on the back from a new club. Probably as low as you get in a sporting sence.

Zac has played against Buddy before ( sorry about the tooth - he said ) but he really isnt an ideal player for him. Maybe someone like Gilbert is a better match, but Buddy is a hard match up for a lot of teams.
Dawes : Fisher, Simpkin, Gwilt, Blake not a huge issue.
Cloke: Zac wasn't great against him, and I think he would have struggled against John Brown as well.
Archer ( 193cm 99Kg ) has potential, but he really hasnt played down back enough for us to know.

Thanks for the input SS.:thumbsu:
Probably the most considered post om matchups for the Saints' backline.
I still think you neesd another tall as backup...hopefully Saints can pick up someone useful in the Pre-season draft.

Thanks for the input SS.:thumbsu:
Probably the most considered post om matchups for the Saints' backline.
I still think you neesd another tall as backup...hopefully Saints can pick up someone useful in the Pre-season draft.

Much as I am hesitant to suggest it, Setanta comes to mind.
Could be useful backup in the forwardline, ruck, or backline.

Lyon never had a pact with a group of mates then burn them.

I will agree to disagree...

My family are diehard Saints fans and are split 50/50 over this issue. I find it sad all round.

I think it is hard to remain at a club when you feel you are not receiving faith and support from the coaching staff.

Money-wise Ball is not earning much more than he would had received at the Saints.

Not a good situation when you think you are being replaced in the main team. Hard to keep a pact if your not picked in the side and are isolated. Other players in the club had more shortcomings than Ball - on and off the field and were still considered favourably.

Re Lyon and pacts....never used the word LOYALTY..

Then of course..."IN sacked Saint Andrew Lovett's first time-trial, he came last, 50m behind a 200cm rookie."

Remove this Banner Ad

Zac walks out of St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back