Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone doubted how truly important Mitch Lewis is to us as a team they're a silly goose. On top of that, since coming back into the side Mitch is 4th in the league for Score Involvements per game with 8.3. He is also the league leader for % of overall team score involvements with 37.6%.

I can only imagine how many more wins we’d have if he’s not had the knee strain(2 more at a minimum)

At the risk of putting the mozz on him, he’s having a great year after his return from injury.

He’s elite for:
shots on goal
disposals
score involvements
marks inside 50
marks on the lead
total marks
goal assists

Averages 2.7 goals a game too, which is very good going.

Last four weeks…

Round 10: 24 disposals - 8 marks (3 contested marks) - 6 goals - 2 behinds
Round 11: 10 disposals - 5 marks - 2 tackles - 3 goals - 2 behinds
Round 12: 20 disposals - 8 marks - 3 goals - 2 behinds
Round 13: 11 disposals - 6 marks - 3 tackles - 4 goals - 1 behind

🔥

I'd almost be an advocate of putting him on super light duties this coming off season to minimise any risk of another off season injury.

If we want to make a run at the finals next year (and I reckon we have the talent to do it) we can't afford to have him missing another large chunk of the season.

I'd almost be an advocate of putting him on super light duties this coming off season to minimise any risk of another off season injury.

If we want to make a run at the finals next year (and I reckon we have the talent to do it) we can't afford to have him missing another large chunk of the season.

Not a chance for mine. Definitely not peak yet. Needs to continue to build a range of skills and learn a few more tricks.

Not a chance for mine. Definitely not peak yet. Needs to continue to build a range of skills and learn a few more tricks.
Sure he can work on his skills and fitness but I'd keep him away from doing too much contested work.

Even a 50% fit Lewis is substantially better than any other key forward option we have, the focus from here on is keeping him in the park.

🤨

Maybe I didn't express myself the best before but what I was trying to say is that if we start the first 8 weeks of 2024 without Lewis again we are pushing you know what up hill again and our forward line goes from decent(ish) to pretty abysmal.

I am sure the club will be doing this already but we need to develop a training plan that maximises his ability to stay on the park and not be exposed to unnecessary injury risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the best KPF's in the league without a doubt. I'm not sure I'd swap him for anyone, he's absolutely superb.

What a steal for a pick in the 70's.
Pretty much the two last players taken in that draft were Larkey and Lewis. Pretty good gets by both teams.

Maybe I didn't express myself the best before but what I was trying to say is that if we start the first 8 weeks of 2024 without Lewis again we are pushing you know what up hill again and our forward line goes from decent(ish) to pretty abysmal.

I am sure the club will be doing this already but we need to develop a training plan that maximises his ability to stay on the park and not be exposed to unnecessary injury risk.
I believe you require a lot of luck to win premierships. You need peak players, plus things to go smoothly. I don't think we win a premiership without Mitch continuing to build skills and physicality. That won't happen focusing primarily on fitness. We may look better than we did the last 8 weeks of the year if he goes at 50% and doesn't get injured, but we won't win a premiership.

One of the best KPF's in the league without a doubt. I'm not sure I'd swap him for anyone, he's absolutely superb.

What a steal for a pick in the 70's.
Pretty sure it was the pick from the Sam Mitchell traded used to get draft him. That's some poetic type sh*t considering Sammy is now back coaching him. Just how we drew it all up 😂

Pretty sure it was the pick from the Sam Mitchell traded used to get draft him. That's some poetic type sh*t considering Sammy is now back coaching him. Just how we drew it all up 😂
Hmm, that reminded me how we got rid of croad to get Hodge to only get croad back to see them both be a part of a premiership!!!

His hands below his knees and just his tank has improved massively over the last two seasons

He's gone from a clunk monster who is a non participant with ground balls in his area, to a massive threat wherever he's at.

That pick up and goal on the left this week were top shelf from any tall forward, massive weapon to add to his kit. His vision has improved the same way too. Crazy development in this group across the board, but especially significant in his case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back