Autopsy This is going to be painful. The Dogs V Bombers debacle thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

So Sanders has 5 tackles (out of 5 attempts) and 8 disposals @ 100%, in the half. Proceeds to get subbed for Dale.

Dale comes on and gets 3 disposals in a half and is invisible. What a great use of your tactical sub!!!

Bevo has the lost the ability to the get the most out of the players. Players are playing well below their levels and frankly look like they don’t give a ****.

We were sold last year that the boys love Bevo. They haven’t been ****ing playing like it for over two seasons now.

The fans are made to pay for the board accepting mediocrity.

Ok well can we get rid of the coach first and let the new guy decide who he can work with and who is surplus?
We will need currency to bring in more talent for a new coach. These players are not exactly getting younger and their currency will drop

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dunno how anyone could back our coach after that. All I can say is thank God we’ve got Jamarrah and Darcy..

Beveridge has killed this team. I don’t reckon I’ve seen a dogs team so shot of confidence.

Ah, there will be some that will continue defending him and the club and that everything is rosy.

The eternal optimists, the stubborn like Watson Wheeler, Bains, Grant and Darcy who are holding the club back. They've backed Beveridge and to concede now would be embarrassing, but how much more embarrassing can you get than our efforts since the 2021 GF?

How much more embarrassing than getting flogged year after year by Melbourne in Round 1, than by clueless to address conceding run ons, the appalling goalkicking, a forward 'coach' wasting the likes of JUH, Darcy and Weightman, the softness of English, the messing around with positioning, bizarre selections, no game day coaching at all and a genuine look of a rudderless, uninspired, checked out team.

The belief in that narrative has been the central failing of the club for the majority of its existence as far as I can tell, but it is wrong, wrong, wrong! How many premiership teams have had plenty of blokes that were far from angels? Heaps of them, including our own.

Furthermore, pushing out talented players who didn't adopt the zealotry others think is required has arguably cost us a few premierships.

Our problem hasn't been hanging on to proven layers too long. It's been pushing them out for players who aren't good enough to replace them in the often misplaced hope that they will be one day.
Sorry proff but your proven players narrative is simply wrong and always have been.

Proven players WERE proven players. All players eventually decline, most quicker than expected and some younger than expected.

Holding on hoping they can deliver what they once could if the decline is short term is fine. Holding on when the decline is ongoing is madness

Macrae is just about finished, he is not the difference between us winning and losing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thought he was pretty good, one of our best.

The problem is that we now play Bont as a full time mid.

We used to use Bont ais a weapon up forward, terrorising defenders.

Since we got Lobb though we haven’t done that. Another example of poor planning.

Not reviewing the 21gf will go down as the beginning of the end for Bevo when he is eventually given the ass man couldn't confront that he was outcoached on match day and couldn't make a tactical decision to try and stem the momentum flow they had in the third. That loss has obviously haunted the playing group for years as, as soon as teams get a goal or two in a row quickly the players drop their heads and we get what we get against Essendon tonight or the cats, hawks, freo, carlton, etc
ive been saying the same for two and a half years, not reviewing the 21 GF was the biggest single coaching mistake ive seen in football

I watched Buss. A couple of marks, but jogged and walked to contests. Not much urgency, looked very one paced. Happy for him to get a game though.
McNeil was involved in many scoring chains and looked quicker than other Dogs players. Still made errors but seemed more AFL ready. I wouldn't select him.
Garcia was solid and Cleary and Clarke really didn't stand out to me.

I watched last quarter so it was a snapshot. Freijah surprised me at how big he was. Looks a real prospect.
Fair enough that you only watched the last quarter, the game was pretty much over, but the first 3 when the opposite was true and the game was on the line tells a different story

As always...

Expected Score / Actual Score
WB: 82 / 67 (-15)
ES: 77 / 96 (+19)

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: +5 / -29

Centre Bounce Attendance
24 - English
23 - Treloar
22 - Liberatore
21 - Bontempelli
8 - Macrae
6 - Sanders
4 - Darcy
2 - West
1 - Gallagher, Weightman

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage / Sharked)
55 - English (16 / 4 / 5)
17 - Darcy (7 / 3 / 1)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 7
ES: 12

English v Goldstein (40 contests)
Hitouts: 13 / 20
To Avantage: 4 / 6
Clearances: 17 / 18

English v Draper (15 contests)
Hitouts: 3 / 11
To Avantage: 0 / 5
Clearances: 4 / 8

Darcy v Draper (9 contests)
Hitouts: 4 / 2
To Avantage: 2 / 0
Clearances: 3 / 6

Darcy v Goldstein (5 contests)
Hitouts: 1 / 2
To Avantage: 1 / 1
Clearances: 1 / 2

First Possessions
WB: 26

ES: 38

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 28 / 22 (79%)
ES: 34 / 28 (82%)

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 67%
ES: 51%

Smothers
WB: 6
ES: 12

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 55%
ES: 64%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 81%
ES: 78%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 8
ES: 7

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 3
ES: 3

Defensive Half Intercept Marks
WB: 4
ES: 4

Score Launches
4 - English
3 - Darcy, Duryea
2 - Johannisen, Khamis, West
1 - Bontempelli, Bramble, Dale, L. Jones, Macrae

Targets Inside 50

16 - No target/rushed
10 - Ugle-Hagen
4 - Darcy, Naughton, West
2 - Weightman
1 - Bontempelli, English, Vandermeer

Inside 50 Repeat Entries
WB: 16
ES: 11

Ground Ball Gets In WB F50
WB: 11
ES: 17

Ground Ball Gets In ESS F50
WB: 18

ES: 13

Shots At Goal
WB: 23 (39%)
ES: 25 (60%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / Essendon)
Set Shot: 5.8 / 11.4
Snap: 2.0 / 3.1
On Run: 0.2 / 1.0
Mark Play On: 0.1 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 2.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 5.1 / 3.0
15M-30M: 0.1 / 2.2
31M-40M: 1.5 / 3.1
41M-50M: 3.2 / 5.1
51M+: 0.2 / 2.1

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 5.1 / 0.1
Scores In Time-On: 3.5 / 4.1
Scores Sourced From D50: 0.3 / 3.1

Score Assists
3 - Macrae, Treloar
2 - Darcy
1 - Bontempelli, Duryea, Johannisen, Richards, Weightman, West

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 26
ES: 21

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks

ES: 4

Defensive Half Turnovers
ES: 23

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 45
ES: 43

Unforced Turnovers
ES: 11

Unforced Turnovers By Player
4 - Weightman
3 - Baker
2 - Darcy, Gallagher
1 - Bramble, English, Macrae, Treloar, Ugle-Hagen, Vandermeer, West

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)

ES: 2

Turnovers Punished By Goals
2 - Treloar
1 - Bramble, Dale, Khamis, Liberatore, Naughton, O’Donnell

AFL Player Rating Points
15.0 - Duryea
14.1 - L. Jones
13.2 - Macrae
13.2 - Ugle-Hagen
12.7 - Treloar
12.3 - Liberatore
12.2 - Johannisen
12.1 - Richards
10.9 - Bontempelli
8.9 - Khamis
8.5 - Darcy
7.3 - Bramble
7.2 - Williams
7.0 - West
6.2 - Naughton
5.8 - Vandermeer
5.2 - Sanders
4.9 - O’Donnell
1.7 - Gallagher
0.8 - Baker
0.6 - Dale
0.1 - English
-0.7 - Weightman

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
103 - Johannisen
101 - Liberatore
99 - Treloar
98 - Richards
93 - Duryea
87 - Macrae
83 - L. Jones
82 - Darcy
80 - Ugle-Hagen
77 - Bramble
73 - Bontempelli
71 - West
68 - Naughton
64 - Khamis
58 - English
58 - Vandermeer
57 - Williams
51 - O’Donnell
46 - Sanders
34 - Weightman
32 - Baker
19 - Gallagher
12 - Dale

Time In Forward Half
Q1

WB: 50%
ES: 50%

Q2
WB: 51%
ES: 49%

Q3
WB: 46%
ES: 54%

Q4
WB: 54%
ES: 46%

Match
WB: 50%
ES: 50%

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 157 (Poor)
ES: 188 (Average)

Q2
WB: 171 (Below Average)
ES: 178 (Below Average)

Q3
WB: 166 (Poor)
ES: 171 (Below Average)

Q4
WB: 185 (Average)
ES: 166 (Poor)

Match
WB: 170 (Below Average)
ES: 176 (Below Average)

Pressure Points Per Player
67 - Liberatore
49 - Treloar
44 - Bramble
42 - West
40 - Bontempelli
34 - Weightman
30 - Macrae
27 - Darcy
27 - Gallagher
26 - English
26 - Sanders
21 - Duryea
19 - Vandermeer
17 - Dale
16 - Ugle-Hagen
14 - Johannisen
13 - Naughton
12 - Richards
12 - Williams
11 - Baker
11 - Khamis
8 - L. Jones
8 - O’Donnell

Score Sources
Scores From Stoppages: 3.4 / 6.2 (1.0 / 3.1 from the centre)
Scores From Turnovers: 6.8 / 8.4
Scores From Kick-Ins: 0.1 / 1.0
wow, Draper owned English, i think English is scared of him

I can't believe he subbed Sanders half way through the third quarter. What does that do other other wreck his confidence? He was having a good game. Gallagher remained a ghost for the game and Baker's total contribution to that point was a couple of out on the fulls...

Then those magnets started spinning out of desperation in that third, it was a pathetic spectacle indeed.
I wouldn't have subbed out Sanders either. However maybe his GPS numbers dropped right off. He had a great first quarter, good second but was fading.
They have numbers that show efforts, speeds, distance, heartrate etc.
They can see trends, plus they will have data to match it against in his other games.
It's the only plausible reason to me, but Bevo.....who knows

I'm still mystified by Bont's game. He was his usual self up to maybe half time.

When he went missing the rest of the side folded, bar a few whose names have already been mentioned. Did others see the game this way or am I imagining it?

I'm not saying Bont fading was why we lost but it's a worrying sign than we couldn't rally without his inspiring play.
No Bont = No Bulldogs?

So what happened to Bont in the second quarter, or maybe early in the third?

Oliver G any chance you could post his quarter by quarter key stats? Or even just his first half vs second half.
With the bullets Bevo was sweating, Libba falling down and Bont and everyone going missing, I’m starting to wonder if a virus went through the club during the week. They all just looked so far off it and cooked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont needs to be looked after better.

Have a look at the way Chris Scott rests his older players during the season. He even allowed us to beat them in r 23 by playing a reserves team.

Before we went tall in the forward line getting Lobb, our greatest weapon was to play him up forward. Now we can’t do that - another example of poor planning.

New coach guaranteed will support the defence by putting Naughton back and play Bont forward 50 % of the time - our arrogant coach won’t do that, he’s too compromised with that one.

He also won’t address the centre clearance problem with English. Again he’s invested too much of his reputation over the past 7 years in Tim. This is why we need to act now - not wait until next season.
Bont is the best midfielder in the league and is in his prime. Resting him and playing him forward would be terrible.

People also cracked the shits when Liber was managed and subbed out of a dead game.

I wouldn't have subbed out Sanders either. However maybe his GPS numbers dropped right off. He had a great first quarter, good second but was fading.
They have numbers that show efforts, speeds, distance, heartrate etc.
They can see trends, plus they will have data to match it against in his other games.
It's the only plausible reason to me, but Bevo.....who knows
You might be on to something, maybe he was the first one to start showing fatigue on the metrics so they subbed him to protect him, but then the rest of them fell off a cliff and there was nothing we could do

Bevo said in the presser that Libba "lost his footing and stumbled for some reason, but he's fine"

How embarrassing. Clearly much more than that.
Sorry for the intrusion but I hope the medicos are monitoring Libba. Watched it numerous times and that was not a stumble, fell like a rock. He looked off prior to as well. Parish knew it the way he reacted. Shocked the medicos didn't get him straight off.

Imagine how good JUH would/can/will be under a great coach... The kid is a genuine star, our modern day version of the next Kelvin Templeton pre-knee problems.
No chance he'd even get close to Templeton, he's happy to try and fly for the big mark but once the ball hits the ground that's where his efforts finish, 3 or 4 times in the first quarter the ball fell to his direct opponent after a marking contest and he was just a sightseer, either couldn't be bothered chasing or just a slow jog behind putting no pressure at all on the Essendon player, expecting others to pick up the slack.

We clearly need a fresh voice and a more defensively minded coach coming in.

We are a weak team, and one which does not defend well.

Teams love to play against us. And why wouldn’t you, you’re key players can run around on their own with no attention, you can move the ball easily with us guarding space, your ruck will give your mids first use as our mids take up offensive positions and run forward and we will generally butcher our scoring chances.

We need to actually stand for something as a team and be hard to play against.

Now the McCartney era was terrible and we were hard to watch but we were a contested and defensive team that won contest and made the opposition work. The issue was there was zero plan once we won the contested ball or created the stoppage through defensive work. When Beveridge came in he gave the team that freedom to be offensive and express their talents which is what was need.

Beveridge is a motivator not a tactician that’s clear as day and he isn’t a defensively minded coach. We need a demanding defensively minded coach and all players that can’t hack that ship them off because we can’t keep being a weak and mentally fragile team

The club has a massive decision to make that should have been made last year but they didn’t have the guts to do it.

2028 is on the horizon and we do not want to be in the bottom 6 at that stage missing out on talent. And we already have no first round pick this year.

I don’t think we need a rebuild and thankfully we have most of our KPPs for the future already (bar a KPD). (JUH, Naughton, Croft? As KPFs, Darcy as a future ruck and hopefully one of JOD or Buss make it as a CHB) but we need to get some talent into other areas and some more defensive minded players and speed into this team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back