Autopsy Round 6, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Reid has to get in the face of the oppos best players every week. Jordan vibes

'So my opponent got a clearance... and I was happy for him.... but then he gave me this little smile....
Keegan Michael Key Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Felt like he was pretty firey at Schoey towards the end too haha

Just heavenly

It's like it started as a bit of friendly banter and it got a bit snippy from both of them. Both were basically cheering their teams on though.

The Carlton and this game have confirmed what I've been telling peeps for ages, you guys are some of the better posters on the site and Carlton comfortably the worst. If they win a flag, I'll need to stay away for a while
You are 100% correct about Carlton supporters. Quite a lot of them somehow got in as guests in our area last year when they belted us at Optus. They were the noisiest rudest bogans you would ever have the misfortune to meet. One of them was a teenage girl with the foulest mouth!!! Good luck to your guys for the remaining season.

First game I've been to this year....Reid is even better in person. F**K how good is it to be winning games again.
Ginbey was great, Yeo is probably in the top 5 mids in the game at the moment.

Only real negative for me is Sheed. Came on and lost his man several times in his first few minutes on the ground, no defensive effort whatsoever.
Spent half his time standing completely on his own at stoppages pointing at team mates to man up.

Would 100% rather they reward Harvey Johnston to come in as a spark right now, even more so now we’ve won a couple

First game I've been to this year....Reid is even better in person. F**K how good is it to be winning games again.

Only real negative for me is Sheed. Came on and lost his man several times in his first few minutes on the ground, no defensive effort whatsoever.
Spent half his time standing completely on his own at stoppages pointing at team mates to man up.

Yep, put him back in the WAFL, and keep him there. Is not a best 23 player anymore.

Most rapt after a win I've felt in years, forgot how good winning - esp an unexpected Derby upset - when your expectations are low. Expected a regulation 20 point loss so stoked we actually belted them! But in a way it's not too surprising, Harley has just spread this attacking mindset to our group and its infectious! Add to Freo's dour overly defensive mindset and it was the perfect storm, the best possible permutation. It's great to at least feel we are some chance instead of wondering if it'll be a thrashing or a right buggering.

Reid has been good but more important than his playing is the power of culture and belief he brings. He's a brash young kid who almost believes anything in possible, and that kind of swagger and bravado spreads. Even without him, if we had the same belief we would be similar. So I still stand by what I said last year after the Bulldogs win, culture > tanking fot draft picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think we should at least give some votes to Bailey Banfield, was very good for us tonight.

This is going to sound strange but the way the boys played today reminded me of mid 2000s WCE and I preferred the mid 2000s eagles over the 2018 team, during the 2018 team I was never impressed with the talent we basically played professional keepies off obviously very effective but not exciting like the mid 2000s, I just thought this is how footy is played these days until tonight.

What made the mid 2000s team great was obviously the star trio mids and the superstar of Chris Judd, his belief and confidence was infectious, it effected the whole playing group making average players play out of their skins, tonight we saw exactly that, Harley these past 3 weeks has re-energized the entire group, everyone felt like they could do anything they want, even Witho was taking on the game and winning ball.

Everyone was taking the game on, playing on when they had no business to do so due the confidence of the group currently, it's beautiful to watch I thought it's great to see that type of footy to be played again, loose, instinctual confident football all thanks to Harley Reid.

You can't teach how we played tonight.

So much this.

The type of midfield group we have put together this rebuild doesn't need someone like a Naitanui to spoon feed it taps to advantage to win clearances.

We now have balanced (inside & outside) midfielders that know how to position themselves in the contest to win their own ball and either, breakaway from the contest with speed or pass to the advantage of their teammates via either a handball or a kick. In addition, they can also turn into receivers and do damage on the outside.

Having such a strong and dynamic midfield enables other players to also play with more confidence and take risks.

Best thing is we also have Hewett who fits into this category but, it is unfortunate, he isn't part of this growing period with the team atm.

Last edited:
Pos + Crowd was IMMENSE, was at the game and the crowd had a massive influence, loved it 💪🏼

+ Harley's big grab, came flying out of nowhere and made the entire crowd just go OHHHHH in unison like you haven't heard in years... and he capped it off with a goal!

+ The crowd may have single handedly ended Bailey Banfields career prematurely, confidence destroyed, 0 goals - 4 behinds (two from pure, good ol' fashioned booing)

+ Chessers dummy, sidestep and goal was all class! His confidence is through the roof right now and you can sees he's a quality player.

+ Darling has lifted and (watching from the stands) I was extremely proud of his work off the ball, his bullocking work, leadership, attitude, physical presence, team ethos is first class atm, if he can do this consistently Waterman will keep kicking goals and we'll win more games and it's boosting his own confidence.

+ A really even, team based win, everyone committed, enthusiastic and contributed, very good signs.

Watching the replay now. Can legitimately hear Pav die inside a little bit at a time as the seconds pass.

Due to a year ago commitment I had to miss tonight (and ironically go see Birds of Tokyo who didn't play the song fwiw)

Just finished the replay now and Pav has (for the first time) brought me so much enjoyment I'm actually wondering if somethings wrong with ne

Can literally hear him breaking down and it's amazing

What a night at the footy!!

Got to love the Freo guy carrying the big cardboard 2023 wooden spoon cutout near us… but we never saw it flaunted once the game started. We were calling for him to bring it out after Harley’s second.

Reid’s game takes me back to Naitanui vs the Hawks in the wet… and Judd before him. So stoked to have another teenager of that level of talent again in the blue and gold.

A few Freo fans around us spent the whole game potting their own players, were crotchety and spiteful in a way I haven’t seen from oppo supporters. They had cause of course, was a poor performance, but it got a bit sad after a while. I mean, aren’t thousands of Eagles fans here to do that job?

We didn’t get bullied in the air like we did in the preseason derby, competed very well as a team effort led by Barrass & co. Loved Maric’s game in particular, did some nice things there.

Yeo being this fit again and winning the G/A medal was pretty emotional… I didn’t think he was going to get his body right, so stoked that he has, for now. Waterman ditto.

Yeah this, he looks lost and confused and slow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back