Autopsy Round 12, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Was chasing in the 4th when everyone else had given up, racked up 14.3kms including an average speed of 12.6km/h for the match would probably support that observation.

Not sure the Nokia supports the AFL app so can’t blame you
Lay off my 5110 brick, it's heritage listed!

Sent from my Nokia X30 5G using Tapatalk

So for context on Simmos comments RE: Sheed.

He was asked about sheeds performance today

Simmo advised that he had a run with role on Steele.
Did well at least for the first half, kept him to 6 touches to half time.
outside of that there wasn't much else on Gaff or Sheed in the post match.

Didn't sound to me like it was "1000% happy with it all today".

Said that the team looked gassed by 3qtr time and would need to look at it.

Simmo “We’ll look at it and learn from it..”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

+ Barrass, Ryan and Cripps did their jobs.
Gov was good in the last when everyone else had stopped
Harley had a good qtr, looked like the umps went out of their way t bring him down a peg or two, probably needs to zip it a bit more.
Tommy Cole would be a solid player in a functioning team.
Flyyn was passable, Gaff and Sheed weren't the worst but .....whatever can't be bothered.

- Boring game, didn't care who won by the end of it. Looked like 2 bottom teams playing and it was.
Maric and Petch were unsighted and Chesser was ineffectual, always does a little wee when under pressure and panic handballs.
Hough didn't have a great day.
All in all we are miles off it and as we saw today if one of our starting midfielders doesn't play we are cactus. I hope Hewitt actually plays again otherwise that's another year added trying to draft a decent midfielder.

Negatives - Yeo was playing sore, Sheed and Gaff played well in there farewell game. I could never figure out why they are not playing Trew i see now way to slow. Jack Darling stats dont lie.
Positives They tried didnt get blown away

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exceptionally frustrating (if predictable) outcome.

Going in with four key talls up forward was like Round 1, 2019 vs Brisbane all over again but at a much lower level of skill.

A forward line containing Darling, J.Williams, B.Williams and Maric simply cannot provide enough pressure to make the forward half gameplan viable.

Of no surprise then N.Wanganeen-Milera and J.Sinclair were able to find paddocks of space off half back to set up play and cut the Eagles' defensive structure to pieces with ease.

Despite that, the efforts of all the backline, Yeo and Reid in the midfield, and Ryan and Cripps up forward, kept the team competitive on the scoreboard, but it was unable to be maintained.

Once Reid was taken down with the hard tag, a midfield missing Kelly was unable to win enough ball to generate a winning outcome.

A number of passengers out there today. Jones, Petruccelle and Maric each with less than 10 disposals and a combined 3 score involvements between them. Question marks remain over how each fit into this team.

Ginbey continues to add consistency and is backing his marking ability one-on-one which is encouraging to see.

Flynn was good in his first outing, despite looking very underdone. Provided a lot more around the ground in ruck than we have seen all year, against arguably the best solo ruck in the competition right now in R.Marshall.

Where that leaves B.Williams remains to be seen... He's an average contributor, but still isn't good in any position.
Flynn's fitness will improve, whilst Waterman and Allen will both be returning soon enough - what happens to B.Williams then?

Five of St Kilda's 12 goals came from the wing. That is a defensive breakdown that should have been identified in the coaches box during the match and addressed. Instead, the Saints' wings were able to run forward and present ahead of the ball continuously with minimal accountability.

Add Kelly, Waterman and Hunt and without question this match yields a different result.

What is frustrating is that even with those players absent, this was a very winnable match, and those chances were hamstrung before the first bounce by some all-to-familiar preferences with selection.

Lacking pace and openly inviting the opposition to overrun during the second half by going in far too tall, it is a testament to the handful of players for the Eagles that played exceptionally well and to how exceptionally bad St Kilda are that the margin was less than a kick with ten minutes remaining.

It took a tag on a player in their 10th match for the Saints to win this. That sums it up as good as anything.

Some other notes:

What's going on with D.King? I know he thinks he is on some crusade for suspensions at the moment, but today he was over the top, actively trying to create a narrative for Reid to be suspended for a single-motion tackle where the player's back makes contact with the ground first. He seems to have jumped the shark of late with all things West Coast... Has not getting pick 1 and seeing what Reid can do pushed him off the deep end? Maybe Simmo isn't returning his calls anymore?...

R.Marshall cops a knee to the back of the head from B.Williams, lies motionless on the ground for almost 10 seconds, gets up and is able to wave away the doctor that came onto the ground to assess him because he wants to contest the ruck tap? If the doctor is out there, it should be the umpire rules it similar to how the blood rule is conducted - play stops, and the player involved goes off the ground. Simple as that. Instead we get an outcome that looks terrible and is probably the worst for player welfare.

Would have been an all time great game had Harley matched his 1st half stats and got us over the line.

3 possies in 2nd half... Kane writing his next article about fitness

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
He was relentlessly tagged.

I even saw a centre bounce where Windhager literally put two hands in his back and pushed him into the ground as the ball got bounced.

Absolutely nothing from the umps.

He was relentlessly tagged.

I even saw a centre bounce where Windhager literally put two hands in his back and pushed him into the ground as the ball got bounced.

Absolutely nothing from the umps.
Yeah. Bloke in his 10th game can't break a tag is unsurprising, or only surprising insofar as it's the first time he's looked human.

Bloke in his 10th game can't break a tag when the rules stop applying one way...gee that's tough.

Fair play to the tagger, that's what they're meant to do and it's how you win games from the position, but at some stage I would have thought one of the four umpires might have given a single free kick for the off the ball treatment and overt clotheslines.

Ah well. He's such a jet he'll probably crack how to deal with that by the time we play a team who tags again. He's that ****ing good out the gate that it's hard to remember it's a marathon not a sprint with his career.

That was a shocking game of footy. Two bog average teams battling it and neither with talent enough to put it to bed. Our squad is years off being competitive and on a wider perspective AFL has too many teams for the talent available.

- Reid needs to learn to shut up when it comes to the umps and stop playing for frees or he's going to have a bloody hard time of it. He just doesn't need to.

We're seeing that they're already trying to take him down a peg or two with minimal legit frees for, and soft frees against.
I agree. Looks like he's already starting to get the Ginnivan treatment. Even legit high tackles were being let go.

That was a shocking game of footy. Two bog average teams battling it and neither with talent enough to put it to bed. My take outs is our squad is years off being competitive.
Could be worse.

You could be coached by Ross Lyon, have no injuries to speak of and still serve up that drivel.

Negatives:
Jack Williams blew a chance to have a good forwards game today.
Reid losing his cool at the umps - has to learn to bite his tongue a bit.
Tagging a 11 gamer is just poor form - screw Ross Lyon.
Fitness still an issue - unable to get through 4 qtrs.

Meh:
Not sold on Baz as a fwd.

Positives:
Reid: 20 disposals, 7 Tackles, 7 Clearances, 396m gained, 6x i50, 80% DE
Ginbey: 20 disposals, 8 Tackles, 6 Clearances, 5x Intercepts, 80% DE
Both had excellent games (Reids would have been a monster game if not for the tag).
Liam Ryan looking much more like the Flyin' of old.
Flynn! So good to have a proper ruck again, though looked gassed like the rest of the team by the 3rd.
Kangas next week and then a bye.

You obviously watched it on TV, from the groud pov the umpires were horrific.
It was terrible, but it was pretty bad both ways.
We didn't win because we couldn't hit a target when we had the chance to and for most of the game there was very little movement off the ball. Just bombing it long down the line and hoping is not a game winning plan. No help for Harley in the middle and no real target in the forward line to kick to when we did actually get it in there.
With Kelly and Waterman in the side we probably would have won this one.

It was terrible, but it was pretty bad both ways.
We didn't win because we couldn't hit a target when we had the chance to and for most of the game there was very little movement off the ball. Just bombing it long down the line and hoping is not a game winning plan. No help for Harley in the middle and no real target in the forward line to kick to when we did actually get it in there.
With Kelly and Waterman in the side we probably would have won this one.
I never said it altered the outcome but it made horrible viewing, momentum killer at times. The umpires are there to adjudicate not attention seek

Remove this Banner Ad

Back