Autopsy Round 12, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Has the "land of the giants" game plan ever worked for us??

maybe the 2018 GF where 5 of our 11 were from big men?

1 game in 10 million?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Define 'land of the giants'?

The term cropped up in 2011 when we had Lynch, Darling, Kennedy, and a resting ruckman playing in our forward line. It's not exactly what we're doing now

Don’t know Reid was playing for frees, he couldn’t buy a free yesterday. Was held, scragged, pushed at every stoppage and got absolutely nothing from the umps. They literally just turned a blind eye to it.

Cast your mind back to our game against Gold Coast where we got pinged for looking at Rowell sideways. I just don’t understand this game and how it is adjudicated.

He plays for frees and now umpires know it and don’t pay any. I am not saying he plays for frees like Walters, but doesn’t mind sliding the tackling arm up.

No point being defensive. It’s clear he has learnt that off shuey.

Positives:
Due to our AA nominee back men, we had control all game. If it wasn't for them it would've been a dominant loss.

Harry edwards: extreme competitor, who goes hard at the ball, looking in excellent athletic shape recently. He will be a monster for us with some games under his belt.

Flynn: will be a game changer for us if intensity in our midfield is maintained for four quarters, especially if he can hit it to the outside

Ryan: you forget just how crucial he is for link up plays along the wing and scoring opportunities for the forward team full of useless ground ball getters.

Cripps: when he's on, he is the most under rated small forward, shot in the league, super useful for us in all close games and wins

Negatives:
Grey haired coaches too slow to make changes, costing us a game against Ross Lyon..
For example Ryan was moved from half forward to full forward, leaving him with little impact in link up plays until he was moved further up on the field, half way through the third

Reid's tag: why wasn't the midfield team advised to provide him with space and work his tagger with body work/harassment

Use young Harry edwards on a key goal scorer and let McGovern play his floating intercept game if he's getting done one on one.

For why reason must we wait until next season for the bloody song to change back.z (not that we will be hearing it much)

Mate just sooo frustrating.

Couple of Points.
1. Am i correct in the fact that the umpires have come out and stated that If a player doesn't have prior then they can literally throw, drop or miss their kick for a "Play On"... If this is the case then Incorrect Disposal is Dead. And extremely frustrating for a the players and the Fans.

2. The Umpires have got together after Adelaide and made up their mind that Harley is dropping the knees and lifting the Arm for a High Tackle. He clearly was tackled High 4 times for zero kicks. I initially thought that Rowan Marshall high tackle was because of Harley lifting the Arm. I was wrong. He was clearley tackled High before his arm lifts. Poor pre dertimined umpiring.

3. Zane Trew. Don't pick him Simmo unless you intend on playing him as an Inside Mid and not CHF. Seriously saw him attend 1 CB and for a nett result of 1 clearance. By this stage Sheed had nothing left after doing a job on Steele. Sheed should of gone to CHF and Trew played exclusively in the middle. Please Schofield ask Simmo the question because we all knew that Greg Clark was not a wingman.

4. Where was the support boys. WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE smash Windhager at Stoppages( legally).

Couple of Points.
1. Am i correct in the fact that the umpires have come out and stated that If a player doesn't have prior then they can literally throw, drop or miss their kick for a "Play On"... If this is the case then Incorrect Disposal is Dead. And extremely frustrating for a the players and the Fans.

2. The Umpires have got together after Adelaide and made up their mind that Harley is dropping the knees and lifting the Arm for a High Tackle. He clearly was tackled High 4 times for zero kicks. I initially thought that Rowan Marshall high tackle was because of Harley lifting the Arm. I was wrong. He was clearley tackled High before his arm lifts. Poor pre dertimined umpiring.

3. Zane Trew. Don't pick him Simmo unless you intend on playing him as an Inside Mid and not CHF. Seriously saw him attend 1 CB and for a nett result of 1 clearance. By this stage Sheed had nothing left after doing a job on Steele. Sheed should of gone to CHF and Trew played exclusively in the middle. Please Schofield ask Simmo the question because we all knew that Greg Clark was not a wingman.

4. Where was the support boys. WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE smash Windhager at Stoppages( legally).
On your last point, Yeo definitely ran through Windhager hard enough to give away a free

The term cropped up in 2011 when we had Lynch, Darling, Kennedy, and a resting ruckman playing in our forward line. It's not exactly what we're doing now
Oh no no no

It goes back to Malthouse days.

Gehrig, Hynes, White and I can't recall the other 2?

Wasn’t there a game we went Lynch, Darling, Kennedy, Cox, Naitanui, Lycett?

Or was it Cox, Lycett, Naitanui and 2 of the 3 forwards cause there was an injury.

Positives:
Due to our AA nominee back men, we had control all game. If it wasn't for them it would've been a dominant loss.

Harry edwards: extreme competitor, who goes hard at the ball, looking in excellent athletic shape recently. He will be a monster for us with some games under his belt.

Use young Harry edwards on a key goal scorer and let McGovern play his floating intercept game if he's getting done one on one.

Edwards has been Uber impressive this year compared to the last two.

My only concern with playing the three is that Gov playing loose on a small can then be taken advantage of through leg speed as opposed to him making the tall forward more accountable.

I feel a third tall more athletic back is the way with Gov and TB.

But it’s an Interesting conundrum to have with Edwards finally looking to have come on. He’d have some value but do we trust Gov/Barrass won’t go down in the future even if we get Busslinger or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry Edwards rough conduct on Max King? When the hell was that? Don’t recall seeing any incident of note.

No citing or fine for that grub Caminiti pushing Duggan’s head into the ground? Thought the head was sacrosanct? Probably not enough force for weeks but should be a misconduct fine if they’re picking fines out of their arse.

Wasn’t there a game we went Lynch, Darling, Kennedy, Cox, Naitanui, Lycett?

Or was it Cox, Lycett, Naitanui and 2 of the 3 forwards cause there was an injury.

Potentially, we were definitely playing 3 key talls along with two genuine ruckman.

I even remember some instances where Cox was rucking and NN was still in the centre

Things we didn’t learn:

Not to play players who are well past it even if they have credits from 5 years ago.

To play young players in their preferred positions when we bring them into the top side.

To put a block on for our young gun who’s just dragged us into the lead on the back of a dominant 2nd quarter

Bailey Williams is not a forward.

Edwards has been Uber impressive this year compared to the last two.

My only concern with playing the three is that Gov playing loose on a small can then be taken advantage of through leg speed as opposed to him making the tall forward more accountable.

I feel a third tall more athletic back is the way with Gov and TB.

But it’s an Interesting conundrum to have with Edwards finally looking to have come on. He’d have some value but do we trust Gov/Barrass won’t go down in the future even if we get Busslinger or not.
He is extremely competitive from hearing the story's f
Things we didn’t learn:

Not to play players who are well past it even if they have credits from 5 years ago.

To play young players in their preferred positions when we bring them into the top side.

To put a block on for our young gun who’s just dragged us into the lead on the back of a dominant 2nd quarter

Bailey Williams is not a forward.
Bailey Williams has earned an opportunity to prove himself after his hard efforts in the ruck where he had been a top contender for most games, unlike many others

Couple of Points.

So right Trew must be played in the middle he is a centreman he was good when he came on and adjusted to game pace well

3 plodders in Sheed, Gaff and Trew was always going to work so well.

Last quarter vision is damning.

You’re really gonna slag off Trew after 26% TOG?

Just watching the replay. At one point (2:28 remaining in the 3rd) the “plodder” Trew managed to beat none other than Brad Hill on a lead to a Dom Sheed kick to take a mark on the wing.

Mind you, Hill is a bit of slouch in the leg speed and running capacity departments…

He is extremely competitive from hearing the story's f

Bailey Williams has earned an opportunity to prove himself after his hard efforts in the ruck where he had been a top contender for most games, unlike many others
Just because someone plays well in the ruck, doesn’t mean they know how to play forward. We have played him there many times early on and he’s never shown any real nous for playing forward.

Just watching the replay. At one point (2:28 remaining in the 3rd) the “plodder” Trew managed to beat none other than Brad Hill on a lead to a Dom Sheed kick to take a mark on the wing.

Mind you, Hill is a bit of slouch in the leg speed and running capacity departments…

You are grasping if that is all you could find in the match to back your claim Trew has pace.

You see literally 2 seconds max of the lead, with no context of where they started.

Hill is a speedster, Trew is a plodder.

P.S. I managed to beat none other than Peter Matera on a lead to the ball once.

For context, it was in D grade in the UGSFL, he was 10 and I was 12 and mind you, I was bit of a slouch in the leg speed and running capacity departments!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back