Autopsy 2024 Rd 7 Blues Go Down To Classy Cats In A Belter

Who played well for the Blues in Round 7 vs the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We might miss fog defensively problem is he doesn't hit score board - our small fwd inability to score from grounds ball or inside 50 clearance is a serious problem when we play so tall up front -- we have had this problem for a long time now even when silvagni was list manager why we haven't addressed it is beyond me when there have been multiple handy small fwds traded over past 6 years for very little ..
We drafted Durdin at pick 37 in the 2020 draft.Mcreery and Maurice Rioli went after him. Not looking a great choice.
Motlop drafted at pick 9 in 2022...Could be what we're looking for but soooo disappointing he hasn't played this year especially after a stellar pre season.
So we've been trying to address the issue...Bobby Hill was gettable at the end of 2022. He's definitely the type of player player we need.

All our clearance and contested advantages were swept away by having no answer to Geelong's rebound, overlap transition and Danger's hammy kept us in this one. They're a well organised side and we are very slow through the middle when the rebound comes, felt sorry for our undermanned defence.
It was a frustrating game, looking forward to see how we respond next week to the Pie's pressure and elite ball movement.
Yes, but any team gets slaughtered on the rebound when you repeatedly cough up the ball....which was us dozens of times last night.

Cripps, Pitto, Walsh, Hewett and Kennedy in the middle created enough opportunities for us to win the game but the wings were soundly beaten - Acres has credits in the bank but Ollie does not - so it might be time to get Cotts onto a wing as good things seem to happen when he gets the ball. Carroll tried hard but Cerra is a big upgrade.

Weitering completely subdued Hawkins but Young and Kemp couldn’t contain their opponents which is why we need Gov and Marchy. Williams was very poor as he has been all year so much so I’d say his spot would be at risk if Saad wasn’t injured. Boyd, Cowan and Newy were serviceable.

McKay was wasteful but tried his arse off as opposed to Charlie who needs to go and have a look at how hard Cameron works.
The chasm in the lack of class up forward was there for all to see today not just when compared to the opposition but also the difference between Elijah and the rest of our small forwards. We desperately miss Martin.

It was a really high quality game. All credit to the Cats. They are so well organised and disciplined, relying on system as opposed to individual brilliance like us. Zuthrie step up to cover the loss of Stewart. Bowes and Bruhn held the fort when Danger went off. That said if we can get some players back and some improvement I think we can beat them.
It wasn't a high quality game.

We butchered the ball - time and time again.

Geelong did what Geelong do - play the percentages....minimise mistakes. They were professional, we were not frankly.

We played poorly - how many times did we cough up the ball when we had possession?

Acres, Kemp, Weiters a few that I can recall....no team can defend against sloppy, repeated turnovers.

Some of our lesser lights eg O. Hollands - simply invisible....too many passengers.

Then there's the goal kicking. 2.7 or 2.8 in Q1, 4.5 in Q4 (0.3 at the start of the quarter).

Then there's the umpiring.

They had one player out of their 23 with less 50 games experience. We had 8 players with less than 50 games experience - over a third of the side. Durdin, Kemp, Hollands, Hollands, Boyd, Carroll, Cowan, Binns. And we all know our injury list.

The team we sent out there today fought it right to the teeth with the current best in the league fielding pretty much their best side.

Some very good perspective

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is the reality of what we have available.

Cerra - available next week
Cunners - available next week
Gov - 1 more week
Fog - accessed after round 11
Marchy - accessed after round 9
Saad - 4 weeks
Martin - 5 weeks
Motts - 4-5 weeks

Hope Gov available after pies game (I’m done with Young)

Only change will be Cerra for Binns, Carroll back to sub.

But that’s all the defensive coverage we have coming back which is where we struggle the most.
Our i50s
Crows 25 shots from 49 i50s (26 from 52)
GWS 27 shots from 51 i50s (34 from 54)
Cats 28 shots from 45 i50s (30 from 66)

We are getting looks and scoring enough we just can’t stop the op from scoring, this now becomes a coaching failure as much as personal, the coach’s have had the evidence infront of them and failed to address this. (Yes players back will help but reality is they aren’t and won’t be yet)

Our stoppage game has gone back to the best in the game, our transition once we get it in d 50 to score is top 2 but we need something in place to stop the op from easy scores. Look at the cats last night always had a plus one in general play and we always seem to leave our backs 1v1 in transition. Why don’t we try TDK as the spare down back when Pitto is in the truck to maximise our midfield dominance?

I love Voss and he is the man for us but I just feel he is stubborn and doesn’t like to adapt when things aren’t working the way we like.

Anyway we are a very good football team and this will be another fun season, just need to win another 2 of the next 4 to stay in touch with top 4 once we get players back.

Go Blues!

Yes, but any team gets slaughtered on the rebound when you repeatedly cough up the ball....which was us dozens of times last night.
Geelong's spread and overlap was impressive without them being express paced.
Just well drilled, unlike other teams we've faced recently with elite short kicking skills.
We've got Cerra to add to the midfield...are Fanta and Cunners the ones that can help in this area?
What about a half back like Boyd getting some midfield time?
No need to panic, but we do still look pedestrian paced with transition when relying heavily on a contested game plan.

Don't like to dwell on the umps, they're going to make mistakes, but their refusal to apply the rules as written today beggars belief.

They paid 24 free kicks for the game (league average is 38). Of those, maybe 2 holding the bl decisions were paid.

We rely heavily on front half pressure and repeat entries. We had 24 inside 50 tackles to 8. I counted zero holding the ball free kicks. 4 or 5 tackles should have been rewarded with free kicks.

How the umpires are so inconsistent week to week in their application of the rules is infuriating.
When the bounce goes out of the circle and the umps don’t recall it, you know they’re not in a good space.

Unfortunately McGovern and Marchbank arent available;e- to fix the Young/Cowan rubbish
Some of Youngs efforts yesterday were worrying. That contest v Henry where he marked it on the line should never have happened. He had 10-15kg and 100mm on his opponent and got shoved off the ball be Henry like he was a rover.

We drafted Durdin at pick 37 in the 2020 draft.Mcreery and Maurice Rioli went after him. Not looking a great choice.
Motlop drafted at pick 9 in 2022...Could be what we're looking for but soooo disappointing he hasn't played this year especially after a stellar pre season.
So we've been trying to address the issue...Bobby Hill was gettable at the end of 2022. He's definitely the type of player player we need.
Motlop at 9?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really liked what Voss said after the game. Didn't want to talk up individuals, said the teams defence was unacceptable and not up to standard. This is the ruthlessness the team needs. Hopefully the players can become this level of ruthless come September.
Yeah, I liked it too. The reaction shows that we Voss had every expectation for us to win that game. Not settling for a brave loss.

But also showed that there was a very, very clear agenda of where we needed to be better. I'm expecting to see a pretty determined side on Fri night.

Loved Voss reaction after the game, not accepting a brace loss and being very critical of defensive efforts, it seemed like really setting a standard, I was also glad that Binns replaced Fantasia but not sure if that was injury related.

If Voss is raising standards I’m not sure how you can keep picking Carrol, he has been struggling for weeks now.

We keep picking players as the sub who are unlikely to have any impact.

Cream rises to the top and that's what happened yesterday. We are nowhere near our full side and Geelong have some very classy players. We should have won that battle yesterday which is heartening to see, given our injuries. However it's also infuriating at the same time because I feel we lost the match and they didn't win it.

Just watched the presser and gee Voss is angry.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Beaten properly by cats.....Voss always was himself very competitive,he's mainly unhappy for his group....he knows it will be a lot of work.....thats it he's responsible

We cannot keep playing Carroll...he hasn't contributed enough.our team was weaker this round..
Few injuries then we got depth issues esp midfield.......

Depth.....

Sam Durdin needs to come in replacing Young until Gov or Marchbank are back.
I agree with this. I am not being smart when I say Durdin is not very good but reliably so. He will lose the odd one on one but not embarrass himself or cause heads to drop. Young can horrify and demoralise. And chaos seems imminent when he’s near the ball. Not so with Durdin.

PS shout out to Weiters. 6 percent one v one loss rate for the year so far. Guy is a monster.

This is the reality of what we have available.

Cerra - available next week
Cunners - available next week
Gov - 1 more week
Fog - accessed after round 11
Marchy - accessed after round 9
Saad - 4 weeks
Martin - 5 weeks
Motts - 4-5 weeks

Hope Gov available after pies game (I’m done with Young)

But that’s all the defensive coverage we have coming back which is where we struggle the most.
Our i50s
Crows 25 shots from 49 i50s (26 from 52)
GWS 27 shots from 51 i50s (34 from 54)
Cats 28 shots from 45 i50s (30 from 66)

We are getting looks and scoring enough we just can’t stop the op from scoring, this now becomes a coaching failure as much as personal, the coach’s have had the evidence infront of them and failed to address this. (Yes players back will help but reality is they aren’t and won’t be yet)

Our stoppage game has gone back to the best in the game, our transition once we get it in d 50 to score is top 2 but we need something in place to stop the op from easy scores. Look at the cats last night always had a plus one in general play and we always seem to leave our backs 1v1 in transition. Why don’t we try TDK as the spare down back when Pitto is in the truck to maximise our midfield dominance?

I love Voss and he is the man for us but I just feel he is stubborn and doesn’t like to adapt when things aren’t working the way we like.

Anyway we are a very good football team and this will be another fun season, just need to win another 2 of the next 4 to stay in touch with top 4 once we get players back.

Go Blues!
No way Martin 5 weeks. He’s training. That was an old update. I expect him to play Vs Melb or Sydney.

Chris Scott’s presser was interesting said their clearance work was not the best however when they turned the ball over in our forward line the transition to their forward line was clean and efficient happened for the greater part of the night.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cats started 2022 5 wins 4 losses then stormed to a flag.

It’s very early. We have massive strengths that are clearly flag worthy.

Contested ball. Contested marking. Scoring ability. At our best we have 4 elite kicks in backline that put speed on it.

A couple of things to tighten and at our best we are in this up to our eyeballs.

Back