Autopsy Crack Open Each Other's Heads And Feast On The Goo Inside: Autopsy vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

80 points from turnovers

They are elite footballers so know the skill set required.

What separates this team is that the ability to make the right choices with that set of skills and it is crippling us.

I see it week after week, handballs to feet, handballs to players under pressure or in the wrong position.

The same goes with kicking to incorrect space/leads. It’s been a problem in this list for the past 3 seasons.

When it is corrected you see wins like that West Coast game last year.

What is more baffling is that this has come off a full preseason under Noble and has been clearly evident these first three weeks.

So they all know that was embarrassing. Of course the players do, they were in the middle of the Gabba and on TV being personally embarrassed, and the coaches know it as well. I still don’t get why some supporters are taking it so personally. It’s one game early in a massive rebuild, we’ve all seen North and many other teams play worse and it wasn’t the end of the world. Anyone bringing up memberships and relocation is overreacting.

The margin going over 100 felt especially bad, but honestly the way that game was played, if Brisbane had kicked even worse for goal and won by under 100 you’d hope the soul-searching would be exactly the same.

Its not reasonable to say that this reflects history or whatever long-term disappointment some supporters carry around. The club is early in an experiment. We have a handful of older players in support while a whole lot of young players are given the keys, under a new, teaching coaching group. Most of said we were excited to be here for this experiment. It was always going to come with bad days and it’s surprising to see anyone assume that we got that dose in year 1 and it was all going to be up from the start of this season. Especially when we currently have lost the best of both our young talent and our older supporting cast to injury and illness, it’s a hard road.

What I think we can be disappointed about from last night is a) the team going down not doing what we saw as an embryonic exciting if risky game style, b) players being played in unhelpful positions and left there as the opposition got further and further ahead, and c) older players not pulling their weight.

On the last, I would excuse Goldy. The ruck contests were better for us with him than X, but for most of the game he was left in our forward line, a million miles from where the ball generally was. Must be very hard for him to watch but he’s doing it for the good of the team and X’s development, and when the ball ever gets near him he competes and does ok - for a ruckman. The best use of our talls is obviously still something to be worked out.

Last week the general feeling was that in dropping Stevo, Noble was nailing his flag to the mast and we wouldn’t see poor performance tolerated. I do not envy them selecting a team for this week.

So some big, big problems. On the positive, Taylor and Young had their best games for the club - Taylor made 2 horrible turnovers, but otherwise looked the part, and ran hard all night, and got some reward with a good goal. Young is developing as a reliable and durable 'good ordinary' footballer, which every club needs, so can we move on from him (and Mahony) as the leading candidate for this decade's whipping boy? And Stephenson showed a bit, at least when he played on ball.

My biggest concern isn't the coach - I thought his presser was spot-on, no BS, it stinks and people will be held to account.

Rather, my greatest fear is we made two poor list management decisions in the off-season - I understand why we gave Ziebell 2 years after Taz walked out, as it seemed we couldn't afford the 'look' of the captain going with him. But it's been pretty obvious for at least 2 years that the game has gone past Jack, and we should have held at 1, and also taken the opportunity to pass on the captaincy - now we're in the position of having to drop the captain.

The second list management mistake (at least as it looks at the moment) is CCJ. Xerri was still an unknown quantity, and looked more work horse than pedigree (probably still is) and with Goldy coming to the end, again the logic of the decision - going to the market - looked reasonable. But on yesterday's showing in the 2s, the CCJ investment doesn't look great, and you'd have to say, if there's too much more of this, Xerri will leave (if he hasn't already decided to do so).

To make those 2 decisions and then do nothing about KPD depth looks like a trilogy of disaster.

But that's what we're stuck with - if it's me, I'm dropping Jack. Beveridge dropped his VC in Wallis, Cameron dropped Coniglio, and Noble has to draw a line in the sand himself. The next tough call is Zurhaar - if he's not fit, give him a spell, and play Comben as a genuine second tall forward.
Petty much sums up how I feel too.

I still can't believe we played nice with Tigers around CCJ. If he didn't come across because he wanted the 'right thing' done by then he should've stayed there. It's a business, not backyard cricket at Nan's and you need to keep the teams with your cousin's balanced.

The veterans we've got to 'help' the transition are missing something. I was trying to find the right words, then spotted it in an earlier post.....absolute Champion mindset!

None of our veterans have been close to the top of the mountain. We need JHF/WAP to do a Michael Jordan at the Bulls. See the reality in front of them and just take over.

I have concerns about the current method of giving the players a high level of self-direction/management. Our older blokes might feel like they know what it takes in terms of standards etc but evidence shows they don't or they don't have appropriate influence on the group.

When most of your first choice midfield is on the sidelines, things will get ugly.

What stood out to me though, is the standard way we deliver the ball rather than making use of our player’s attributes.

As an example, don’t kick to a marking contest between Stephenson and Adams, go over the top and let him use his pace and agility.

Lots of this comes with knowing your teammates better, and why consistency in team selection matters.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
More than once the ball was kicked to a contest between Mahoney and an opponent two feet taller than him! Lions killed us in the air even with fair contests, we didn’t need to help out further.

I think it's hard to sugar coat a 100 point shellacking. We got bullied, that's going to happen when we have the outs we have, but some of them didn't even show any fight. That's the shocking bit

I'm not having a go but this injury excuse that keeps being used is bullshit.

West Coast had about 17 AFL listed players available last week and we beat them by just under 3 goals.

I don't care how many injuries a side has, 100 point losses is symptomatic of issues pointing at more than just the personel available.

Please can we learn to kick to our advantage, not bomb it long without looking, and learn to spread effectively instead of everyone getting drawn to the contest...

Its Been A Long Time Reaction GIF

West Coast had about 17 AFL listed players available last week and we beat them by just under 3 goals.

I don't care how many injuries a side has, 100 point losses is symptomatic of issues pointing at more than just the personel available.
Exactly. Good teams have a structure and plan that can still hold up even when injuries hit. Player slots in, knows their role and team continues to show up. Our plan brings players in and throws them under a bus. Confidence killing just like melbourne and carlton 10/15 years ago.

I'm not excusing them. The guys who did play, many gave up. Pure and simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

‘Nourishment’ cut it out Nobes. Get the footy non negotiables right. Get the fundementals right. Get a cohesive game plan the players want to by in on. Get the energy, commitment, enjoyment, attitude all going. Create some synergy. Lead these blokes like a coach not a boss. They are footy players, not suits. Cut out the classroom BS. Defence starts at attack, move the footy quickly to give fwds a chance. Be brave, and have some fun.

The difference being Simmo has been implementing their system for years. Not only is Nobes new, we have significant injuries, new young players and senior players (like Corr & Greenwood just starting with us).

The level below that would be to persist in playing both JZ and Goldy and talk about nourishment.

I mean seriously, BF talks about land of the giants forward of centre yet we play JZ, McKay, Walker, Corr who spend their time crashing into each other in the backline. At one point last night, there was an inside 50 count of about 19 to 1 and 24 marks to 4 in the last quarter. When they are not crashing each other, they run under the ball, or fail to kill a contest, or let the ball go over the back repeatedly, or their man does not even contest and gets the ground ball. And forget about actually stopping anyone on a lead or keeping up with your man.

No drive out of the backline, no spread and not much to kick to down the ground and very little halved contests.

But JZ will play which means dropping Bonar or Ford or not playing Comben or CCJ or Curtis or Perez.

Seriously, what do we need JZ for when McDonald, Corr, Bonar are back there? We literally pick multiple players who play the same role on every line. If you are going to do that, play extra mids, particularly if the club has identified fitness as an issue.

McDonald was leading the comp in intercept marking, yet plays last line on Cameron when it should have been Bonar or Turner.

Putting JZ forward or in the middle is more of the same. He should be the sub, if the captain has to be named in the team.
Out backline is horrific. No class.

More than once the ball was kicked to a contest between Mahoney and an opponent two feet taller than him! Lions killed us in the air even with fair contests, we didn’t need to help out further.
That was the first game I've seen this year and I was surprised how much we look for Mahoney. He is one of our main play makers now.

The difference being Simmo has been implementing their system for years. Not only is Nobes new, we have significant injuries, new young players and senior players (like Corr & Greenwood just starting with us).

And the fact some of those injuries aren't even football related bloody injuries Sutt's is even more annoying. I'm coming around to the cursed thinking.

Daniel Wells missed 2 weeks early doors with bloody dental caries !

When most of your first choice midfield is on the sidelines, things will get ugly.

What stood out to me though, is the standard way we deliver the ball rather than making use of our player’s attributes.

As an example, don’t kick to a marking contest between Stephenson and Adams, go over the top and let him use his pace and agility.

Lots of this comes with knowing your teammates better, and why consistency in team selection matters.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not to mention again McKay gets subbed out and we’re dust again because the only guy that puts in is Corr and he needs to be a 3rd defender. Of course that doesn’t excuse that yet again our structure was putrid back there, even with McKay but after he went off after a weird fly through the air (should have been paid) you just knew 100+ was coming.

We will look better when our starting mids are back because that settles all our shape forward and we’ll probably jag that lovely good will from some brave wins at the back end of the season but if we don’t overhaul the back line this year we will be swimming in top 3 picks.

Thanks Merlin. He is passionate so I am hopeful but we live in Brisbane and he does not know any other North fans.

As we walked away from the Gabba last night, with me hugging him & wiping his tears, I promised him it will get better. I told him there will come a time when we are at the Gabba belting out our victory song at the final siren having just handed the Lions a thrashing.
good man

West Coast had about 17 AFL listed players available last week and we beSouppat them by just under 3 goals.

On field senior leadership, or in our case a lack thereof, is a good place to start Souup. It's where our dilemma lies. The current senior leaders ain't a patch on the likes of Tarrant, Higgins and BBB. But if they were here the likes of JHF wouldn't be. We've got to suck it up and pump games into the kids.

Last edited:
Watched Brisbane presser and found it to be very telling and depressing, when the opposition coach seems actually embarrassed and saddened for their opposition you know your team is in a very dire state. The last 30seconds of the interview said it all when he went on to talk about having to play a good team next in the next week.

Gutted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Crack Open Each Other's Heads And Feast On The Goo Inside: Autopsy vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back