Review Cats beat Lions by 10 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And he didn't come through the draft traditionally. Originally from Mount Gambier, he made the move late to the sanfl & Glenelg. A few yrs after a premiership player with the bays then bingo....to us luckily.
Could be wrong but it seems whenever we get a run going and snag a few Close is right in the chain

Last edited:
On Hawkins, it’s probably multiple reasons why he hasn’t kicked more goals but a pretty strong indication it is more about the era of football than his limitations is that two contemporaries who started within 12 months of him are also within 40 odd goals of him. The list also shows what a freak Franklin is to have kicked 1000 in this era. Peerless.

View attachment 1368239
I rate Doug Wade a superior FF to Tom Hawkins - Wadey could take screamers - one against Haw at KP in the goalscore - might have been over Don Scott

And when he went to Nth Melb - and well in his 30s - against Coll ( who were a very good team ) in a game at Arden St - he kicked 7 goals all in the last qtr

I rate Doug Wade a superior FF to Tom Hawkins - Wadey could take screamers - one against Haw at KP in the goalscore - might have been over Don Scott

And when he went to Nth Melb - and well in his 30s - against Coll ( who were a very good team ) in a game at Arden St - he kicked 7 goals all in the last qtr
Wade would also have kicked significantly more than 1057 goals if the Out of Bounds on the Full Rule had been in operation for the first 7 or 8 years of his career; he may well have finished ahead of Dunstall, and possibly even Coventry.

The numbers support that view. Very different eras obviously.

but didnt you just literally state hawkins numbers were low due to the era and gamestyle and not lower because he had less ability?
Yep. Because his contemporaries are also low, except Franklin.

It's a matter of historical fact that the rule change immediately resulted in faster, more open play, more goals, and higher tallies for full forwards.
Were you seriously not aware of this?
Interesting stats analysis on the subject. Adjusts goal kicking records to account for the differences in goals per game across different eras and the distribution of goals per game across different eras.

the 90s fowards get downgraded the most. Wade gets downgraded a little bit.

Ofcourse this analysis makes no adjustment for age nor time spent playing as the key foward vs up the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I get that but really the only level above him is the genuine forward immortals

Yep. He has played more than most thought he would , probably anyone his body shape should and the era is a different one than Lockett etc. Take all those things into account and he has been HOF player for Geelong

On Hawkins, it’s probably multiple reasons why he hasn’t kicked more goals but a pretty strong indication it is more about the era of football than his limitations is that two contemporaries who started within 12 months of him are also within 40 odd goals of him. The list also shows what a freak Franklin is to have kicked 1000 in this era. Peerless.

View attachment 1368239
Agree about Buddy but how do you assess Ablett Snr?
Averages 4.2 across his career but only played as a FF for a few seasons at an average well over 5 per game.
Similarly he’s averaged over 3 as a wing , high half forward- stunning stuff✅

Got to admit, when Stewy went out I thought we had little chance.
But we actually outplayed Brisbane all night. The only reason it was close was because we wasted so many chances.

Blits playing the role they want Sav to play makes us a better team.
SDK played his best game so far. There will come a time when he will mark everything that comes his way. Very promising.
Holmes continued to impress.
Close is a gun. Does all the little things.

Overall a great win
Blicavs played a completely different role to what Esava was playing. Esava was primarily taking the centre bounce ruck contests. Only 4 of Blicavs’ 37 ruck contests were at the centre bounce.

I literally acknowledged that they are very different eras.
ok got it. You think Wade not necessarily better then hawkins based on numbers because of different eras despite supporting a post that claimed he was clearly better based on numbers.

see the link i posted where the goals are adjusted for eras. makes hawkins more proflic then richardson but wade still on top of hawkins Comfortably. seems like you were right.

Was channel surfing Fox last night, and happened to pass The Bounce just as Gaze went on a rant about the Hawkins push and how the Lions have now been 'robbed twice' in Geelong.
In their defense, I'd be ropeable too in their shoes. You don't want dubious free kicks in the dying minutes - it invalidates the game and brings the umpiring into disrepute. Also fuels the narrative for opposition teams who have to play us in Geelong and feel like it's a 'cheat ground' etc. Hawkins shouldn't have been paid the mark. But of course, everyone forgets that a clear in the back free wasn't paid to us inside 50 only moments later. It's just the nature of the game.

Was channel surfing Fox last night, and happened to pass The Bounce just as Gaze went on a rant about the Hawkins push and how the Lions have now been 'robbed twice' in Geelong.
Gaze is a bandwagon Hawks fan I wouldn't take too much notice of what he says. He's a reason I stopped watching the show.

In their defense, I'd be ropeable too in their shoes. You don't want dubious free kicks in the dying minutes - it invalidates the game and brings the umpiring into disrepute. Also fuels the narrative for opposition teams who have to play us in Geelong and feel like it's a 'cheat ground' etc. Hawkins shouldn't have been paid the mark. But of course, everyone forgets that a clear in the back free wasn't paid to us inside 50 only moments later. It's just the nature of the game.
Therefore why would you be ropeable given you got an even upper just moments later?

no one talks about the brisbane throw that wasnt called a minute out from the end of the game last year that nearly got brisbane unfairly over the line (And lets just ignore the eight shots on goal from ump frees the lions got that game). Blicavs non holding the ball decision was the even upper that balanced it out. Yet the media only discusses the geelong ones. Its f*** disgraceful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back