List Mgmt. Glenn Luff - Has resigned as list manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Both of these documents suggest it isn't:

We started rebuilding the side less than two years ago? Why would anything, KPP or otherwise be adequate yet?

Who was Luff adament on recruiting but didn't want to come?

A list manager over sees all avenues for player recruitment. He isn't on the road scouting players and making the decisions himself. As I said, I would imagine it's in a think tank type environment where players are ranked, opinions are listened to, BPA versus needs reasoned and players selected from all criteria.

'Why would anything, KPP or otherwise be adequate yet?'

Not sure what you mean here, but I'm assuming you mean they wouldn't be ready? Probably not, but they would be getting valuable time in the VFL whilst strengthening our development team.

I'm a believer in KPP first for rebuilding, but I can see the benefits of the path we have gone down too. I'm just hoping the football department has their eyes on a couple of KPP in the 23-26 age bracket. Our depth absolutely stinks.

MacPherson from GC was the player Luff wanted, and once that fell through apparently we were offered Brodie and pick 19 but knocked it back. Even if we didn't want Brodie it was boneheaded as we do t have a 2nd rounder after CCJ...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not hugely critical of not getting another KPD backup, but in hindsight we should have worked harder to keep Tarrant.

The big one for me is the CCJ trade. A second round pick given up (now ~pick 20) and completely structuring our approach to this year's draft around Cooper Harvey, a mid-range talent who doesn't even play a position we need, just for sentiment.

That looks really, really, really awful when we're on the bottom of the ladder (continuously) and need to make the most of every opportunity in the draft.
You have to look at the complete package - yes we gave up a future second, but the picks we got back allowed us to trade up to select.... well, Paul Curtis for one, and he looks a steal, and Bergman may yet work out too

You have to look at the complete package - yes we gave up a future second, but the picks we got back allowed us to trade up to select.... well, Paul Curtis for one, and he looks a steal, and Bergman may yet work out too

There‘s generally a call to trade out future draft to get into the current draft. Followed by lamenting the fact the we no longer hold those picks when the draft comes along.

I know this won't be popular but would it have been worthwhile taking the Adelaide offer for pick #1?

1651393108297.png

You can't change history so going forward, if a seriously juicy trade for our next first rounder was on offer, for instance two first rounders or a first and two good players or second rounders would that be worth looking deep and hard at at the end of this year to get in some of the missing demographic?

Along with the mid season pick and the PP of course.

You're over reacting mate chill out.

The list had holes all over it at the end of 2020. It was Swiss cheese. And it was pretty f’ed before that too.

He and/or Rawlings could have worked to shore up our KPF and KPD depth. Whether it's moving down the order in 2019 or 2020 to take another key position player to develop, picking up someone like Lewis Young, targeting a contracted player for a trade, moving around the order differently to secure someone like a De Koning instead of 1 of Comben, Mahony and Perez, etc.

You're saying that in 2019, when they moved down the order to take a KPF to develop instead they should have moved down the order to take a KPF or KPD to develop. If you mean another one who and at the expense of who?

CCJ also has potential as a depth forward. More than Goldy or X after last night's effort. One spud like Skinner last night would not have made a difference, tho last night was probably very good for Bonar's development as a player. He did a great job considering what he was up against. If we want KPDs we need quality ones and there aren't alot. DGB from 2020 maybe. Gibcus or Aleer from 2021. Would have cost us Horne Francis tho if we traded down to take them.

Currently all he and his boss have really done is load up on mids and mid-forwards to the detriment of other parts of the list.

We had no genuinely good, dynamic small forwards like Curtis on the list, now we have one. We have also brought in Corr, Comben, Perez, CCJ, Goater, Bergman, Edwards, Young, Ham (tho he was no good) none of whom are mids or mid-forwards. Since 2019 we've drafted Powell, Phillips, JHF and maybe Goater who could end up full time mids. Possibly Mahony and Lazzaro for depth. Averages out as two mids per draft over three years. One of them is JHF who you have to take if he is available.

Since 2019 we've recruited 6 potential mids. Five potential med/small forwards. Two potential KPFs. Nine small and medium defenders and two KPDs with two of those having the potential to play tall roles as a third almost KPD. One might still be a porper KPD if they develop well.

That's better list management than we've had all fu**en century.
Good post…..but still think too many blokes around the 180 mark.

I know this won't be popular but would it have been worthwhile taking the Adelaide offer for pick #1?
Not for JHF.
You can't change history so going forward, if a seriously juicy trade for our next first rounder was on offer, for instance two first rounders or a first and two good players or second rounders would that be worth looking deep and hard at at the end of this year to get in some of the missing demographic?

Yes if it means we can go after genuine KPF or KPDs. I reckon we might need to trade hard for mature players rather than youngsters.

Guys like Hunter and Tarrant don't grow on trees. Come to think of it, we had a helluva backline before those guys left/retired.

Thommo, Tarrant, Firrito, Wright, Lmac and Jmac is a bloody balanced 6.

We just need experience and some leaders. We need someone that can direct the lines, settle the nerves and make us stand stronger.

A 2011 Petrie that could play anywhere would be nice that's for sure.

View attachment 1389070

Red card for you.

A Petrie in his hay-day would play for every team in the land- the guy was an out and out gun. More than that, he won games off his own boot, was probably the most versatile player we have had in 25 years and inspired his team to achieve beyond their means.

If we can get one or two Petries at any stage over the next two years, we are set.

If we end up with pick 1 and it's midfield dominated in the top 5, then we'd have to think about a trade if someone came knocking.

Due to the fact that we will be giving up pick 19/20 in this year’s draft, we have to either trade valuable players (which we will never get fair value for) or trade down. Our draft hand for a probable wooden spooner is an embarrassment.

people want him sacked because he didn't find some spud list clogging KPD to cover for us during a rebuild where losing games benefits us via the draft and we're better off targeting players who'll make the side better when they are available.

LOL

Its just a bandwagon reaction because people are upset we're shit and are looking for things, well people to blame.

Have a look at all of our list management since Luff came on board. Its pretty good over all. Especially compared to the previous decade. Top picks are obvious I guess but our second round drafting seems alot better than it was under the last lot. The list manager everyone wants sacked identified Paul Curtis, Eddie Ford and chose Tom Powell.
So we just over look the bullshit management in hanging Tarrant out to dry when we desperately needed him?

I know you’re trying to keep positive and there’s a few on here who cry to Jesus whenever the clubs critically analysed but please stop undermining those with valid opinions that our current crop of key defenders is a massive **** up.

In the same way that we’ve lost our number 1 forward for this weeks game and we’re right to cover him. Jacob Edwards come on down. Everythings right koombaya and all that

So we just over look the bullshit management in hanging Tarrant out to dry when we desperately needed him?

I know you’re trying to keep positive and there’s a few on here who cry to Jesus whenever the clubs critically analysed but please stop undermining those with valid opinions that our current crop of key defenders is a massive fu** up.

In the same way that we’ve lost our number 1 forward for this weeks game and we’re right to cover him. Jacob Edwards come on down. Everythings right koombaya and all that
Is the Robbie Tarrent leaving on Luff, we wanted to keep him but low balled him. Surely that is more on Brady than Luffy

I reckon we're looking at it from the wrong angle :) Maybe he's in charge of the List Management, as in, the angle we hold our heads when we scrutinize the squad as a whole. Like this girl :cool:
portrait-of-a-young-woman-with-her-head-tilted-picture-id183323044

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Due to the fact that we will be giving up pick 19/20 in this year’s draft, we have to either trade valuable players (which we will never get fair value for) or trade down. Our draft hand for a probable wooden spooner is an embarrassment.

We'd need someone to be really keen on a contracted player of ours.

Happy to trade down pick 1 if we think it is more valuable to us. Need to be bold.

Is the Robbie Tarrent leaving on Luff, we wanted to keep him but low balled him. Surely that is more on Brady than Luffy

What about not having a crack at Lewis Young, Brander, Riccardi, Weideman, Paddy McCartin, Charlie Dean, Marty Hore, Leek Aleer (MSD)?

To say there were no KP players available is laughable. Surely we could have atleast fit 1 or 2 on the list instead of 6 small forwards and small defenders for basically zero outlay?

Who was our key back against Carlton?

Who is our full forward again this week?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Meh. More upset by some of the spin he and the club have tried on us than I am the list management itself. We left ourselves heavy on young mids and light on KPP: fact. I understand we wanted to build from the midfield out, I think as a strategy that's alright, but we probably went one or two players too far. It's regrettable and we're getting exposed for it. I'm not particularly upset by the specific players we have chosen though.

I know you’re trying to keep positive and there’s a few on here who cry to Jesus whenever the clubs critically analysed but please stop undermining those with valid opinions that our current crop of key defenders is a massive fu** up.

Tarrant left cos he wanted to. When we desperately needed him.

And I'm not allowed to have an opinion cos it undermines your opinion... okay then.

Tarrant left cos he wanted to. When we desperately needed him.

And I'm not allowed to have an opinion cos it undermines your opinion... okay then.
Did he want to, or did he get low balled and said "**** you, I'm gone"

I genuinely don't know the back story on this.

Meh. More upset by some of the spin he and the club have tried on us than I am the list management itself. We left ourselves heavy on young mids and light on KPP: fact. I understand we wanted to build from the midfield out, I think as a strategy that's alright, but we probably went one or two players too far. It's regrettable and we're getting exposed for it. I'm not particularly upset by the specific players we have chosen though.
That was always gonna happen after we went down the path we went down.

More upset by some of the spin he and the club have tried on us than I am the list management itself.

I think a few people are.

Did he want to, or did he get low balled and said "fu** you, I'm gone"

I genuinely don't know the back story on this.

Regardless of whether he wanted to go or not, it still doesn’t excuse the fact that we didn’t even sign a replacement once he requested a trade?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last few trade period really sums things up.

Didn't address a need in backs, while letting Tarrant go without a ready-made replacement.
Unnecessarily overpaying for CCJ who didn't address an immediate requirement.

Also, Gavin Brown has been at the club way too long and needs to go.
That trade to give Melbourne Kossie Pickett has worked out well thus far for who we used with the picks....

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Glenn Luff - Has resigned as list manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Back