List Mgmt. Glenn Luff - Has resigned as list manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Righto. The list manager has a responsibility for carefully planning the demographics of the list. It was discussed from a mile out in the offseason how light on we were in key positions after losing Brown and Tarrant in consecutive years.

Of course we weren't going to find world-beater KPPs in the rookie draft or DFA circuit. But it was predicted that our AFL side could be exposed very quickly down back if something went awry. Ditto up forward where Larkey is rapidly headed for Ben Brown 2020 territory shouldering too much load solo.

As tazaa has said if we could add Walker, Bosenvulagi, Young, Greenwoood et al to our list just to "play roles" then we could've found other similar players to help us hold a structure while we develop. The VFL side hasn't been helped either by running a list so bereft of structure.

I can't see how the developing kids are benefited by running a list where players are having to play out of position to form a side (ie Bonar - Harry McKay). Injuries happen but we ran with a list that started the season with one arm behind our back.

Fwiw I rank the lack of small forwards as a list balance weakness also however accept that is is less dangerous to the side's long term competitiveness and structure.

Again as tazaa said not sure why the protectiveness of the club staff when questioning these things? We assembled a list that sits square at the bottom of the AFL and a VFL unit that's taken sound poundings with few clear apparent KPP understudies. Where's our next fullback or CHB coming from? Who's the developing KPF if Comben continues to break or Edwards is just a ruckman?

Nobody would expects these list players to be elite talents but IMO you need somebody there eg Josh Walker. The fact Luff bristled and cited McGuinness as a KPD option smacked of either arrogance or delusion to me. An eye around the league suggests other clubs don't run with such a high risk profile. And no, I don't think running a list structure this way assuming you're on the way to football nirvana in 3-4 years when things "come together" benefits the young mids or existing KPPs in any way.

Righto. The list manager has a responsibility for carefully planning the demographics of the list. It was discussed from a mile out in the offseason how light on we were in key positions after losing Brown and Tarrant in consecutive years.

Of course we weren't going to find world-beater KPPs in the rookie draft or DFA circuit. But it was predicted that our AFL side could be exposed very quickly down back if something went awry. Ditto up forward where Larkey is rapidly headed for Ben Brown 2020 territory shouldering too much load solo.

As tazaa has said if we could add Walker, Bosenvulagi, Young, Greenwoood et al to our list just to "play roles" then we could've found other similar players to help us hold a structure while we develop. The VFL side hasn't been helped either by running a list so bereft of structure.

I can't see how the developing kids are benefited by running a list where players are having to play out of position to form a side (ie Bonar - Harry McKay). Injuries happen but we ran with a list that started the season with one arm behind our back.

Fwiw I rank the lack of small forwards as a list balance weakness also however accept that is is less dangerous to the side's long term competitiveness and structure.

Again as tazaa said not sure why the protectiveness of the club staff when questioning these things? We assembled a list that sits square at the bottom of the AFL and a VFL unit that's taken sound poundings with few clear apparent KPP understudies. Where's our next fullback or CHB coming from? Who's the developing KPF if Comben continues to break or Edwards is just a ruckman?

Nobody would expects these list players to be elite talents but IMO you need somebody there eg Josh Walker. The fact Luff bristled and cited McGuinness as a KPD option smacked of either arrogance or delusion to me. An eye around the league suggests other clubs don't run with such a high risk profile. And no, I don't think running a list structure this way assuming you're on the way to football nirvana in 3-4 years when things "come together" benefits the young mids or existing KPPs in any way.
And that's why you are KING Corey.

Well said.

Standard caveats apply (hope I’m wrong, I’m going early, nothing against the kid etc.), but drafting Will Phillips at #3 ahead of Logan McDonald (amongst others) has the potential to go down as the biggest draft blunder in the history of the North Melbourne Football Club.

If we drafted McDonald we would’ve had 20 or so games into him and we would be crystal clear on our key forward situation for the next ~10 years.

Instead we’ve gone with Phillips who is the complete opposite of what a stud midfielder in the modern game is (big, tall and athletic) and looking like surplus to requirements.

Fingers crossed, but I don’t think history will look upon that decision favourably.
Leaving aside McDonald - because I have not watched enough to even comment on him for the record I personally think Phillips will be critical to us in the long run. We've seen how much Cunnington out has impacted us and I'm very hopeful he will be similar for us in the long run. Don't underestimate strong, clean players that can run all day. We've not seen a fraction of what he can do yet.

My sentiments exactly.

Having our younger VFL guys running around with no mature cover in the key position posts make absolutely no sense at all. You want kids to develop in their positions, not have to shoulder a ridicolous amount of load. At stages in the VFL this year we've had Goater playing on the 2nd key forward.

The shape of the list and lack of KP options just doesn't make sense at all.

Considering our poor use of the rookie list over the last 3/4 years (Zurhaar the last success story?) I think we should the rookie list as a way of picking up mature depth players rather than going with hail marys. Get rid of Lynch, Polec and Walker and take the best performed state league CHB, FF and intercepting half back. Just make sure they are around the 22-25 y.o bracket so there is potential for growth there.

Have you seen how many people have called for Luff to be sacked on the basis of that one situation?

Its ridiculous, knee jerk bullshit. I dunno if you called for him to be sacked or not. If you did its ridiculous.

If you just want to criticise that situation then fair enough.

look I cannot remember if I have called for Glenn's blood, but when there's a good old fashion character assassination on the offing- I'm knees deep into that shit.

Mad for it I am.

So with our lack of KPB's I think Glenn is havin' a Luff at our expense.

The VFL list is a massive issue - you need mature and seasoned VFL players so that draftees can develop properly and be given roles that will benefit them at AFL level long term. Kids are still kids whatever level they are playing at and it's not realistic to expect draftees to carry a VFL side against an opponent with proper VFL depth.

But without knowing our playing budget it's difficult to be overly critical, as every VFL team is pretty much competing for the same players and we are most likely one of the smallest in the pond.

I'm also not convinced it's as easy as "just grab the best X, Y and Z from the state leagues" as you need to give them a reason to give up what is likely an external career to jump onto an AFL list. A mature KPD in the SANFL and WAFL may not want to give up everything to go onto a rookie list or a minimum wage for 12 months.

That being said, when a genuine KPD like Charlie Dean wins the Fothergill and is available in the rookie draft, I would love to know why we thought he wasn't good enough to try and develop in an AFL system given our deficiencies back there. We basically put ourselves in a situation where we had to use our picks on Polec and Lynch.

look I cannot remember if I have called for Glenn's blood, but when there's a good old fashion character assassination on the offing- I'm knees deep into that shit.

Mad for it I am.

So with our lack of KPB's I think Glenn is havin' a Luff at our expense.
Et tu Brute?

Et tu Brute?

Yes has been a while since I did the Latin. Yr 10 Mazenod College. I didn't really pay much attention, but Father Ossley would threaten us boys with his 'banana'.
A vicious man at the best of times. Oh his banana was an off cut of leather he beat us with. **** I copped it often- no idea why, it's not like I'm a smartarse or anything.

Oh well.

Yes has been a while since I did the Latin. Yr 10 Mazenod College. I didn't really pay much attention, but Father Ossley would threaten us boys with his 'banana'.
A vicious man at the best of times. Oh his banana was an off cut of leather he beat us with. fu** I copped it often- no idea why, it's not like I'm a smartarse or anything.

Oh well.
Explains a bit right there.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

A vicious man at the best of times. Oh his banana was an off cut of leather he beat us with. fu** I copped it often- no idea why, it's not like I'm a smartarse or anything.

Oh well.
Musa cerasus super?

we havent lost much. He's not even getting a game at richmond. They're playing a first year player over him.
More bullshit.

He was rested on the back of a 5 day break and they were playing in Perth. Pretty standard for a vet playing a team with no heart beat.

I reckon Taz must of kicked a few posters cats with the amount of malevolence shown.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Standard caveats apply (hope I’m wrong, I’m going early, nothing against the kid etc.), but drafting Will Phillips at #3 ahead of Logan McDonald (amongst others) has the potential to go down as the biggest draft blunder in the history of the North Melbourne Football Club.

If we drafted McDonald we would’ve had 20 or so games into him and we would be crystal clear on our key forward situation for the next ~10 years.

Instead we’ve gone with Phillips who is the complete opposite of what a stud midfielder in the modern game is (big, tall and athletic) and looking like surplus to requirements.

Fingers crossed, but I don’t think history will look upon that decision favourably.
Phillips can't be written off because of size alone, look at Lachie Neale.

From a list building perspective, I agree with you. Looks a good prospect too, but we'll know a lot more in '23-'24

More bullshit.

He was rested on the back of a 5 day break and they were playing in Perth. Pretty standard for a vet playing a team with no heart beat.

I reckon Taz must of kicked a few posters cats with the amount of malevolence shown.

He was being adorned in floral lays and hand shandys when he upped and left. Now he's a dried up husk of a player apparently.

More bullshit.

Taz was a wonderful player, still think he had the looks of a 100 goal a year full forward. Ugly dudes play full back.
Just sayin' :p

Taz was a wonderful player, still think he had the looks of a 100 goal a year full forward. Ugly dudes play full back.
Just sayin' :p
Never seen a man look as good running laps as Robbie did at training for the first 5 years of his career.

Ideally he takes the 1 year we offered and he's in instead a Walker. Seems he wanted 2.

Ohe wel.

Never seen a man look as good running laps as Robbie did at training for the first 5 years of his career.

Ideally he takes the 1 year we offered and he's in instead a Walker. Seems he wanted 2.

Ohe wel.

Yes he did, dashing would be an understatement. He wanted two and we only offered one, but changed it to two after he had made his decision to leave.

Ohe wel is very true.

I think we have to give the list management team more than 2 off seasons to judge their work.

It'd be like taking your brownies out of the oven at the half way cooking point, tasting them, declaring they're shit and tossing them.

Man wtf! You'd have wasted 200 bucks on THC oil- bad move.

Think there's some confusion between list management and recruitment from a high level.

List management - planning out the number of each player type, age and experience profiles etc on the list. Assessing what we have vs what we could have - eg retaining Jack Ziebell for 2023 vs other options for that list spot.

Recruitment - scouting and procuring players for the club.

List management is your overall portfolio (Brad Scott likes this). Recruitment is actually selecting and purchasing various investments or adjusting super options etc.

The recruitment decisions by the club remain works in progress. The list management decisions leading into 2022 are showing immediate results.

Yes he did, dashing would be an understatement. He wanted two and we only offered one, but changed it to two after he had made his decision to leave.

You two have been watching too many of those Tradie deodorant commercials.

NTTAWWT

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Glenn Luff - Has resigned as list manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Back