List Mgmt. Trade targets 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given covid cuts. its hard to know with any confidence but if Amon gets 4 or 5 years at $550k, I'd expect that to generate an end of Rd 1 compo pick for us.
Length of contract doesn't matter all that much.. so long as it is s 2 or more years... it comes down to $ per year 1652418105263.png

Length of contract doesn't matter all that much.. so long as it is s 2 or more years... it comes down to $ per yearView attachment 1398893
Which free agents at the 8 year free agency mark of their career, haven't been signed for 4 or 5 years? The odd one like Buddy gets 9, but its rare someone will move for less than 4 years, and that clubs will offer more than 5 unless its a star player.

10+ year free agents will move for less than 4 years.

Which free agents at the 8 year free agency mark of their career, haven't been signed for 4 or 5 years? The odd one like Buddy gets 9, but its rare someone will move for less than 4 years, and that clubs will offer more than 5 unless its a star player.

10+ year free agents will move for less than 4 years.

Im talking about what impacts the compenation we get. Naturally players look for lengthy + $, but the compensation formular doesnt really care all that much about years, it cares about $ per year and age.

Im talking about what impacts the compenation we get. Naturally players look for lengthy + $, but the compensation formular doesnt really care all that much about years, it cares about $ per year and age.
And I'm saying the practical situation is that the overwhelming no. of players who move, get a 4 or 5 year deal.

So unless you are dealing with an exceptional case, the compo answer should be pretty straight forward for most players who move at the 8 year mark.

That’s such a dumb formula. The AFL really only has themselves to blame when loopholes like this get exploited i.e. Joe Daniher.

I actually sometimes think the AFL like haing the loopholes there, as it makes it 'easier' for players to move.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see what contract Amon gets offered.

When we gave Motlop 4 years at end of 2017 supposedly @ $500-550k a year Geelong got an end of Rd 1 compo pick which was seen a bit questionable and generous to Geelong. Rockliff supposedly got $600k a year and Brisbane got end of Rd 1 compo. Lycett got 5 years @ $600k per year got WCE an end of Rd 1 compo pick.

I'm not going to bother looking at other deals as I don't know them as well as Port's offers to 3 players above.

Amon being categorized as a Unrestricted Free Agent means he isn't in the top 10 or 11 contract values at Port at the moment.

I suspect he is around the 14th or 15th highest value and around $400-$450k, marginally more than statstical average salary.

The salary cap got a big 20% increase in 2017 over 2016 as the new TV/media deal for 2017-22 kicked in and since then the salary cap ( before covid effects) went up by between 1.5% and 2.0% each year so the 2017 and 2018 contract amounts are a pretty good guide.

Given covid cuts. its hard to know with any confidence but if Amon gets 4 or 5 years at $550k, I'd expect that to generate an end of Rd 1 compo pick for us.
I dont think there is any way we get close to the $ Karl will get offered by other clubs. For example, lets say Saints offer him 650 for three years, we will prob do 500 for 4 or 5 years and try and given him a longer deal. I think he is pretty durable so i wouldnt mind offering him 4 years, and its really down to whether he wants to stay or not. We wont break the bank to keep him though.

I actually sometimes thing the AFL like haing the loopholes there, as it makes it 'easier' for players to move.
They should just scrap the compo pick all together. The available cap room created by someone leaving should be enough compensation to go out a get yourself a FA or trade in a player.

The only thing stopping it is players having to agree to a trade. Get rid of that and it all becomes a lot simpler.

Brayshaw has had a few concussions hasn't he? Or is that the other Bradshaw.
Angus (free agent) = multiple concussions, at a point 4 in 12 months.

Andy (Freo mid) = Gaff assault victim, only fractured mandible and displaced teeth.

I don’t think JHF leaves this year, north would hold him to his contract and I don’t think it’s his intention to leave.

To be honest, right now you just hope he is mentally ok. Can’t be easy being a fairly quiet, shy guy who is very much a family and Adelaide centred person, taken as the number one pick with the external pressure that brings, and playing away from friends and family for a seriously struggling side with a stressed coach, underperforming team mates who don’t seem to care. And then you make a sensible decision like delaying your contract extension till after you’ve played more than a second of footy and it’s front page news.

If he wants to come home next year, and I hope he does and that he wants to come to port, the deal gets done. Two first rounders and a bit going back and forth is right.

There’s no need for a trade but I think it’d benefit port aswell
We need mids can afford to lose a winger
He’s a very good midfielder but he’s to crack into that Melbourne midfield
In the end would you rather a ready made mid in the right age bracket or an end of 1st round pick which will be around the pick 20 and take a punt on a young mid
I’d rather brayshaw to go with wines butters and rozzee for the next 5 to 6 years
The pick. Very much the pick.

Not only is Brayshaw not an high end mid, but he’s just a decent mid, and he’s also the exact type we don’t want.

We’ve just learnt we can make our midfield much better and less stagnant by playing butters and rozee in there, and we have not yet been able to fit both in yet. We’ve only managed to fit in one at a time, and we desperately need them as a point of difference to the same same guys we had in there. And Brayshaw is in the exact opposite direction of what we would want to add into that midfield mix.

not only that, but Brayshaws numbers are quite average. Even when he did play midfield, the supposed inside mid averaged at his best 4.2 clearances a game and high teens / low 20’s disposals.

butters and rozee would easily be eclipsing that if adjusted for just their midfield games, and drew is averaging more clearances than that as a young defensive mid.

So who gets less midfield time? Wines boak drew or rozee / butters?

I dont think there is any way we get close to the $ Karl will get offered by other clubs. For example, lets say Saints offer him 650 for three years, we will prob do 500 for 4 or 5 years and try and given him a longer deal. I think he is pretty durable so i wouldnt mind offering him 4 years, and its really down to whether he wants to stay or not. We wont break the bank to keep him though.
3 years? Have you paid attention to past free agent signings at all?

Williams 6 years
Lycett 5 years
Ellis 5 years
Crouch 5 years
Motlop 4
Rocky 4

The only free agents that sign for 3 years are the end of career 30yr olds like Isaac smith.

Amon will be looking at 4-6 year offers. i would be shocked if he isn’t signed to a 5 year deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So band 2 is start of 2nd round

Band 3 is after your clubs 2nd pick

And band 1 is after your first ala Frawley?

So band 2 is start of 2nd round

Band 3 is after your clubs 2nd pick

And band 1 is after your first ala Frawley?
Band 1 is after your 1st.
Band 2 is end of 1st round, the distinction is relevant as I assume it is still mandatory to use two 1st round picks in four year periods.

I don’t think JHF leaves this year, north would hold him to his contract and I don’t think it’s his intention to leave.

To be honest, right now you just hope he is mentally ok. Can’t be easy being a fairly quiet, shy guy who is very much a family and Adelaide centred person, taken as the number one pick with the external pressure that brings, and playing away from friends and family for a seriously struggling side with a stressed coach, underperforming team mates who don’t seem to care. And then you make a sensible decision like delaying your contract extension till after you’ve played more than a second of footy and it’s front page news.

If he wants to come home next year, and I hope he does and that he wants to come to port, the deal gets done. Two first rounders and a bit going back and forth is right.
I'd love to have him at Port but we would have to consider if the price is worth it. North will want plenty, no doubt and they'll be that average for years that they'll have the PSD tied up as well.

Not only is Brayshaw not an high end mid, but he’s just a decent mid, and he’s also the exact type we don’t want.

We’ve just learnt we can make our midfield much better and less stagnant by playing butters and rozee in there, and we have not yet been able to fit both in yet. We’ve only managed to fit in one at a time, and we desperately need them as a point of difference to the same same guys we had in there. And Brayshaw is in the exact opposite direction of what we would want to add into that midfield mix.

not only that, but Brayshaws numbers are quite average. Even when he did play midfield, the supposed inside mid averaged at his best 4.2 clearances a game and high teens / low 20’s disposals.

butters and rozee would easily be eclipsing that if adjusted for just their midfield games, and drew is averaging more clearances than that as a young defensive mid.

Williams 6 years
Lycett 5 years
Ellis 5 years
Crouch 5 years
Motlop 4
Rocky 4

The only free agents that sign for 3 years are the end of career 30yr olds like Isaac smith.

Amon will be looking at 4-6 year offers. i would be shocked if he isn’t signed to a 5 year deal.
He's getting plenty of interest with St.kilda and also Hawthorn apparently.

I would think a 4-5 year deal will be tabled to get him across the line.

Williams 6 years
Lycett 5 years
Ellis 5 years
Crouch 5 years
Motlop 4
Rocky 4

Yeah I see your point only having 4 to 5 afl quality midfielders is definitely what we should be aiming to stay at especially when 1 will 34 next year
Maybe having another mid means that rozzee and butters can rotate through the forward line a bit where we have a lack of quality small forwards
Sometimes giving some1 a bit more chance in a team is all they need to flourish eg george hewett, Ben Keats, will Brodie, jack Steele, tom hickey, jarred lyons

I'd love to have him at Port but we would have to consider if the price is worth it. North will want plenty, no doubt and they'll be that average for years that they'll have the PSD tied up as well.
For him you pay the price. Sometimes you have to break the bank so to speak to get a kid with that much quality into the side. Me personally I'd pay the high price for JHF as he sets the midfield up for over a decade he's that good.

All hypothetical of course, I can't see him leaving North at the end of this year, maybe next year but not this year.

You would pay a premium to get JHF at Port next year and that could be reasonable I just see the Crows being Dumb enough to double down on the offer they put up to try and get him in the draft along with putting a Godfather type offer in front of him that would not reflect what he's shown to date.

JHF is a really nice mid but Ollie, Walsh, Bonts etc have been as good if not better their 1st years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back