Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see the headlines already if he has a bad game next week.
He'll destroy GWS and they will all be bitching that the AFL should have suspended him.
Just like St Kilda round 1.

AFL journalist Damian Barrett revealed on Channel 9’s Sunday Footy Show the AFL is reviewing the incident and will work through the next course of action with Collingwood, but ultimately didn’t believe De Goey would face suspension.

“When it’s all said and done I don’t believe he’s going to be missing any games of footy out of this,” Barrett said.

AFL journalist Damian Barrett revealed on Channel 9’s Sunday Footy Show the AFL is reviewing the incident and will work through the next course of action with Collingwood, but ultimately didn’t believe De Goey would face suspension.

“When it’s all said and done I don’t believe he’s going to be missing any games of footy out of this,” Barrett said.

Credit to Barrett (never thought I’d say that) he’s been one of the very few in the media who’s been level headed about all this and supported Jordy’s right to let his hair down and have (perfectly legal) fun during his break.

Only comment I would make is that Goddard probably makes sense here.
If JDG did have someone experienced at Craig Kelly level as a manager, would he have been able to guide him better with some of his decisions?

Like, if he has a need to go to Bali, go to a resort to relax and not drink/party. Or tell all your mates to put their cameras away. Or just don't play up for the cameras etc

The AFL would love to be able to box this issue up in a pretty carton and present it to the world in a PR blitz. But like the illicit drugs they is a very nuanced issue well beyond their scope to handle for mine. Inappropriate sexual touching is a serious issue and difficult to traverse. I dont think the way this has been handled helps at all.

The most outrageous part for me is the immediate judgement the media jump to and stoke. Dancefooor behaviour could fill a hundred doctorates. impossible for us to judge in this instance. We have to go on the word of the girl involved, surely that is by far the best indicator. After that why are we interested? Such behaviours would have occurred 1000's of times in Melbourne last night at clubs and pubs.

De G may well be a tool. Still he is a regular at my nephews school and I am informed has a natural way with these kids that face a lot of life challenges. Gets easily involved. That alone tells me he must have some good about him. My SIL did have a great photo taken one day of herself, her son, De G and Maynard ( who has been even better again down there). Mysteriously when it came to be cropped to be her phone photo Brayden and my nephew had disappeared

I largely agree with your take on it, however, having not seen the video and then saying it is just dance floor stuff...why not just go and look at it before posting?
The pull of the top is absolutely the only thing even remotely an issue for DeGoey about the video.
Now the girl has said it was all consensual fun, it shouldn't be a problem. That said, if she changes her mind or had reacted differently in the cold light of day with her being exposed through the media, he may have been in a lot of trouble.

For journalists, maybe find out from her first before making it the lead story for the whole frickin nation? Maybe actually doing real journalist work is beyond them these days.

I'd like to see the club and Degoey hold a press conference and answer all questions about his night in Bali. Once question time is over, they then look straight into the camera and start reeling off the names of every media personality they have seen engaged in illegal and morally questionable situations. The Bulldogs started levelling the playing field by exposing Tom Morris. Time to plow the whole thing.

I'd like to see the club and Degoey hold a press conference and answer all questions about his night in Bali. Once question time is over, they then look straight into the camera and start reeling off the names of every media personality they have seen engaged in illegal and morally questionable situations. The Bulldogs started levelling the playing field by exposing Tom Morris. Time to plow the whole thing.
I’d prefer we say nothing. Just keep winning games.

As someone who usually consumes quite a bit of footy media coverage, albeit not that sh1tstain of a rag charitably referred to as the Herald Sun, I've stayed well and truly away from all of this media flurry and just watched the actual footy this round.

Oftentimes footy clubs will reference the need to filter out all the external noise and I'd like to humbly suggest that some of us do likewise. You might find it will give you some clarity and perspective on this issue.

Under Wrighty, I have every confidence that the club will take its time and reach an informed, fair and balanced conclusion. It's been a long time since I've been able to say that and I'm grateful for the change.

For journalists, maybe find out from her first before making it the lead story for the whole frickin nation? Maybe actually doing real journalist work is beyond them these days.
When journo's think they are the news, not those that write, rationalise, decipher and interprete then we will always have a problem.
There have been some incredible journo's over the years, individuals who have hastened positive change, championed the mistreated and brought important things to the public. It's seems the term journo has an incredibly broad range, the general footy media scrum are very near the left hand point post for mine.

Finns is in Canggu

Very different vibe to Kuta

Canggu is chilled but a lot of fun

Like Frankston
I should have known that. I've both been to Finns and stayed for a week at a friend's place in Canggu. Can't say I'd go back to Bali. Hideous traffic, beaches seem grotty due to the volcanic ash, sea is too dodgy unless you've got an 8 foot flotation device strapped to your leg. I don't get why it's so popular unless you are a surfer.

I've been thinking on this, since yesterday or so, that there seems to be a class element to the criticism of De Goey.

A lot of people calling him a bogan, and calling the people he's with bogans. Their fun doesn't seem to conform to what 'respectable' types think fun should be.

There seems to be a nasty condescension about it.

I noted the comments of the anti-domestic violence campaigner who called JDG sexist and misogynist, seeming not to care that the young woman was there as well with Jordan, making her own decisions --before and during and after the event-- and having fun in her own way.

I'm told we live in enlightened times, but the censoring of the 'wrong type' often feels like the worst of Victorian England or some other wave of puritanical madness.

---------------------------------------------------

Maybe Jordan doesn't lack class at all; maybe he's just not the class some other people want him to be.

This is so true JB - a lot of class sneer bubbles up

In JDG’s case he is traversing class tropes (and educated at St Kevin’s)

One of the things I love about AFL is that it can bring people together across class, ethnicity, and gender

And Collingwood has a proud working class history

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is so true JB - a lot of class sneer bubbles up

In JDG’s case he is traversing class tropes (and educated at St Kevin’s)

One of the things I love about AFL is that it can bring people together across class, ethnicity, and gender

And Collingwood has a proud working class history

Footy is still a lingua franca between different groups, and that is one of its beauties.

Just every once in a while, certain issues and/or personalities make you realise that we're not a classless society: class exists, it is a divide, and it can be very condescending.

I think I've been offended on behalf of Remy as much as Jordan; football and other media trying to insist that she has been victimised, as if she's too silly and just hasn't realised her position.

Other than poor judgment about where to holiday and allowing yourself to again be filmed partying when you are in a contract year needing to reform your reputation as a bad boy, on this occasion there is nothing much to see here. He did nothing illegal and is guilty of stupidity for lowering his contract value. I do wish his Mum would sit him down and set him straight though.

Having shots by the pool, the lewd gesture and the breast issue (noting it may or may not be him) make this look so much worse. Adding to this, his prior issues and Collingwood media attention and how could it not blow up?

I think the over the top condemnation about the club allowing him to go to Bali probably led to the tabloids looking for footage on social media. We are all irritated by the downside of being Collingwood which means media attention is intensified as put simply, it has always sold well to focus on Collingwood.

For Jordy, he has managed to be more careful on his own social media but still seems to feel this intense degree of scrutiny is unfair. No doubt, it is stressful to have your every move judged in the press with little fact checking and any little thing making headlines. It is unfair but this applies to all Collingwood players and so they find ways to stay out of the public eye or pay the price.

Collingwood gets an undue amount of attention both on the upside and the downside. Collingwood gets the big games on ANZAC day etc and we treat our players like rockstars which he clearly enjoys. This then leads to sponsorship opportunities and if played right, can help post-football careers. If you are a Collingwood player and you choose to go out partying, in the age of social media you will be recognised and most likely filmed and posted. He needs to own his decision. He was not kidnapped to Bali into a nightclub and held at gun point to do lewd gestures on camera.

Stupid 26 year old males who do lewd gestures with their tongues for the camera abound across Australia. Do I like it as a woman? Absolutely revolting. If he was not a Pies player and a guy in a bar, I would be thinking of him as a bit of a pig who needs to grow up TBH and steer clear. Not illegal but not respectful of women as a general rule. Exposing a breast in public without asking the woman, even if welcome and part of some flirtation, in the same category. Nice guys don’t do that. With consent laws in NSW & Victoria changing, it could become a much more serious issue in future.

Jordy has had prior allegations about his treatment of women so even being around others with these sorts of behaviours happening lacks judgment, let alone participating.

I am sure there are other young Pies players who have to curtail their wish to go out publicly with their friends or participate in SM for the sake of their AFL career. This may not seem fair and the media scrutiny too much, but he needs to accept it as part of the trade off for playing AFL footy at Collingwood and act accordingly. Get a small and trusted group of friends to blow off steam with without phones in private like the rat pack did if you must.

He should then apologise for the mess his poor judgment in putting himself out there again partying in public has created, noting that, as a public figure who little boys look up to, lewd gestures regarding women are not okay. It would be smart to apologise to the club, the sponsors, the staff and his team mates at the club for how it impacts them when he is filmed partying in this way. He has thanked them for supporting him but owning his part is important.

I don’t think the club should be sacking him, just pay him less and insist upon some professionalism (including insisting he put in place safe ways to blow off steam and do better with respect for women ). Maybe watch Bailey Smith’s apology to understand what will work publicly and with the AFL.

If he can’t see how he has some accountability, let him go to St Kilda or North for a high price and hope we can draft someone who has both talent and understands the sacrifices needed to play AFL footy for Collingwood through the compensation pick.

Having said that I really hope the penny drops now as to me he is such a good player and can contribute to the team’s success.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
FFS it isnt even DeGoeys hand. Notice the wrist and hand tatts arent present. This is the media driven narrative taken to discredit and make Jordan look like a unhinged sexual abuser. Dont fall for it like every media personality spewing this garbage.

Attachments

• 78702757-C81C-4E4D-B371-895B128F629E.jpeg
    78702757-C81C-4E4D-B371-895B128F629E.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 55
FFS it isnt even DeGoeys hand. Notice the wrist and hand tatts arent present. This is the media driven narrative taken to discredit and make Jordan look like a unhinged sexual abuser. Dont fall for it like every media personality spewing this garbage.
It’s a bit like a goal review. Is it touched or not?

I think CFC should take immediate action on this.
They should suspend all media outlets indefinitely.
They should demand an apology from the AFL.
They should apologise to JDG for not coming out immediately to protect and exonerate him.

I've been thinking on this, since yesterday or so, that there seems to be a class element to the criticism of De Goey.

A lot of people calling him a bogan, and calling the people he's with bogans. Their fun doesn't seem to conform to what 'respectable' types think fun should be.

I noted the comments of the anti-domestic violence campaigner who called JDG sexist and misogynist, seeming not to care that the young woman was there as well with Jordan, making her own decisions --before and during and after the event-- and having fun in her own way.

I'm told we live in enlightened times, but the censoring of the 'wrong type' often feels like the worst of Victorian England or some other wave of puritanical madness.

Maybe Jordan doesn't lack class at all; maybe he's just not the class some other people want him to be.

I think you’ve given it way too much consideration. People of a lower social class behave far better in most instances than this cretin who went to a private school in Toorak.
Its comical JB isnt it? Lets start a list of so called less that premium preparers for AFL footy in recent years.
MAybe start with Lukey 'Flags' Hodge, overs the week of a final. or maybe Lance '1000' Franklin, how many cars did he right off? or even his more infamous 100 in 100 days...
Perhaps throw in Dustin 'Norm Smith' Martin waitress intimidation.

The list is very very long and much bejewelled.
You'd be surprised. A big night out can impact one's training for days. It's one of those little 1% things that can have an accumulative effect.

Agree that this sh*tstorm will impact JDG's mental health and am concerned about this. No human should live under this scrutiny.

I should have known that. I've both been to Finns and stayed for a week at a friend's place in Canggu. Can't say I'd go back to Bali. Hideous traffic, beaches seem grotty due to the volcanic ash, sea is too dodgy unless you've got an 8 foot flotation device strapped to your leg. I don't get why it's so popular unless you are a surfer.
I went there in 1980 and was even then appalled by Kuta's ambience, largely created by the crowds of young Australian holidaymakers who went there to party. I found other places that were OK and liked the Hindu inspired culture, food and gardens, but it's an island and country to which I have never considered returning.

Other than poor judgment about where to holiday and allowing yourself to again be filmed partying when you are in a contract year needing to reform your reputation as a bad boy, on this occasion there is nothing much to see here. He did nothing illegal and is guilty of stupidity for lowering his contract value. I do wish his Mum would sit him down and set him straight though.

Having shots by the pool, the lewd gesture and the breast issue (noting it may or may not be him) make this look so much worse. Adding to this, his prior issues and Collingwood media attention and how could it not blow up?

I think the over the top condemnation about the club allowing him to go to Bali probably led to the tabloids looking for footage on social media. We are all irritated by the downside of being Collingwood which means media attention is intensified as put simply, it has always sold well to focus on Collingwood.

For Jordy, he has managed to be more careful on his own social media but still seems to feel this intense degree of scrutiny is unfair. No doubt, it is stressful to have your every move judged in the press with little fact checking and any little thing making headlines. It is unfair but this applies to all Collingwood players and so they find ways to stay out of the public eye or pay the price.

Collingwood gets an undue amount of attention both on the upside and the downside. Collingwood gets the big games on ANZAC day etc and we treat our players like rockstars which he clearly enjoys. This then leads to sponsorship opportunities and if played right, can help post-football careers. If you are a Collingwood player and you choose to go out partying, in the age of social media you will be recognised and most likely filmed and posted. He needs to own his decision. He was not kidnapped to Bali into a nightclub and held at gun point to do lewd gestures on camera.

Stupid 26 year old males who do lewd gestures with their tongues for the camera abound across Australia. Do I like it as a woman? Absolutely revolting. If he was not a Pies player and a guy in a bar, I would be thinking of him as a bit of a pig who needs to grow up TBH and steer clear. Not illegal but not respectful of women as a general rule. Exposing a breast in public without asking the woman, even if welcome and part of some flirtation, in the same category. Nice guys don’t do that. With consent laws in NSW & Victoria changing, it could become a much more serious issue in future.

Jordy has had prior allegations about his treatment of women so even being around others with these sorts of behaviours happening lacks judgment, let alone participating.

I am sure there are other young Pies players who have to curtail their wish to go out publicly with their friends or participate in SM for the sake of their AFL career. This may not seem fair and the media scrutiny too much, but he needs to accept it as part of the trade off for playing AFL footy at Collingwood and act accordingly. Get a small and trusted group of friends to blow off steam with without phones in private like the rat pack did if you must.

He should then apologise for the mess his poor judgment in putting himself out there again partying in public has created, noting that, as a public figure who little boys look up to, lewd gestures regarding women are not okay. It would be smart to apologise to the club, the sponsors, the staff and his team mates at the club for how it impacts them when he is filmed partying in this way. He has thanked them for supporting him but owning his part is important.

I don’t think the club should be sacking him, just pay him less and insist upon some professionalism (including insisting he put in place safe ways to blow off steam and do better with respect for women ). Maybe watch Bailey Smith’s apology to understand what will work publicly and with the AFL.

If he can’t see how he has some accountability, let him go to St Kilda or North for a high price and hope we can draft someone who has both talent and understands the sacrifices needed to play AFL footy for Collingwood through the compensation pick.

Having said that I really hope the penny drops now as to me he is such a good player and can contribute to the team’s success.

I agree with much of your post but JDG should be paid by how well he performs on the field for us. Ultimately, that's his job.

He is a human being who is being too heavily scrutinised. He has done well to set a target on his own back but he needs support and protection. The media have gone too far.

Last edited:

Well said in general but I'd be disgusted if Jordy followed Bailey Smith's apology lead. Not suggesting Bailey was being disingenuous and isn't contrite about his behaviour or suffered from mental health issues, but I don't think JDG is. It'd be a shocking move. Pulling the mental health card to dodge some flak, if not true, is just so poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back