Autopsy Round 18, 2022: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

He's talked up like he's one of the greats already and has zero work rate. His brother will end up better with less talent because he's not adored for doing his own glorification.
I’m pretty defensive of King. He looks lazy…but how does he lead when we slow play it out of the backline by chipping it around side to side, enter from the wing, only to end up bombing on his head. Teams put two on him every week because we allow them to with our static ball movement. We allow the opposition to clog up all the space

Agree with all this .
It’s the coaches job to get the team up and about mentally and actually enjoy their footy .
Instead they’re a shot duck whenever the attempt that kick into the corridor.
It’s like their scared of failure rather than excited about what it could actually lead to.
Same when kicking for goal. Choke city.
Why can’t Ratten see this and rectify it?
Basic skills that professional players should be all over .

Apparently they were confused by his game plan last year. They don't look like it's improved.

Might be time for us to look at life with just Marshall as the ruck. Coinciding with Long coming off was Marshall having more of an impact at the ruck contests.

Forward line was dysfunctional as our small forwards just had no impact either offensively or defensively.
Something not quite right with Higgins. Ever since his 2nd head knock.
Butler needs a stint in the VFL.

Long stays in.
Sharman wasn't actually that bad down back.
We cannot however continue to use Membrey as the spare down back because our mids aren't working hard enough. It just destroys the ability to move the ball up the field. Too many times we got to half way down the wing with short kicks and then got impatient and went too shallow into the forward line.

Last edited:
That was me tonight.

You can still reply to posts, tap the +Quote button on them and you can insert them into a post in the new thread.
Yep, I saw afterwards it was you. Thanks, I didn’t know you could do that.

I had the privelege of watching two teams I love and support this week.

The first was Queensland on Wednesday night, the second was this mon tonight.

Queensland were given pretty much no hope of winning on Wednesday, they lost two players in the first 5 minutes to sickening head knocks (after losing their best player to covid 2 days out). Didn’t matter, one of the most brutally physical games of origin I’ve ever seen and they just dug in, they were up for the fight, literally and figuratively, for the whole 80 minutes and that win was bleed for jumper, culture fortifying stuff. I even thought to myself with 10 to go “even if they lose this I’m so proud”.

Contrast that to tonight…

I say this quite sincerely as I’ve struggled to get to games this year with a newborn and rupturing my Achilles. What’s the appeal for supporters to pay their membership and go along when that’s what get dished up. I was pretty down after I made the effort to go to the bombers game and I’m a pessimist.

I’m pretty defensive of King. He looks lazy…but how does he lead when we slow play it out of the backline by chipping it around side to side, enter from the wing, only to end up bombing on his head. Teams put two on him every week because we allow them to with our static ball movement. We allow the opposition to clog up all the space

He's frustratingly stagnant. He's so good that he's still a gun with one move but it's like using a nuclear warhead as a hammer at the moment. It works but it's wasting it's true capability.

Seriously what happaned during the bye? Questions have to be asked. Like seriously wtf. We've lost our ability to score. How can we have forwards who are genuine liabilities when kicking for goal.
They all took the blue pill.

1657930468557.jpeg

The terms "red pill" and "blue pill" refer to a choice between the willingness to learn a potentially unsettling or life-changing truth by taking the red pill or remaining in contented ignorance with the blue pill.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching Geary's speech this week the players should be ashamed after what they dished up.

That man bled for this club...

Bunch of ******* cowards running around a paddock tonight, an absolute disgrace.

As a supporter I want to apologize to Geary and his family after the effort shown tonight.

Pathetic.
I take your point, but more importantly we have record membership numbers. The cost of living is through the roof, yet we have a record number of supporters willing to hand over a significant sum to the club. And they serve this up. The millionaires don't give a shit.

There is a bit of a pattern to these uncompetitive games. Negativity

A sad and negative lead up to Spuds game - smacked by Essendon
Takes us a week or so to get over it
Then a good game against Carlton

Negative week highlighting road safety with Ratts at the forefront of media - poor game against Dogs

Leads me to say that quiet leadership who are not able to get them up, too much emphasis on things other than football.

We are a team that gets excited and needs that positive energy to play well.

Webster
Butler
Higgins
Wood
Paton
Jones

All very ordinary footballers

Most have gone considerably backwards. Butler was AA standard now he looks barely VFL standard. Higgins was the smallest guy in the Coleman race, Wood was one of our more consistent players. Paton gets injury excused and Jones has gone from our point of difference to a liability.

I think Bevo is the opposite, he makes the most of his players strengths. He's creative, I remember he sent Daniel back to play as a time CHB and people laughed now he's a star. Sent Bailey Dale back after being an inconsistent forward and he went AA quality. He played with Ed Richards cutting across in front of our forwards while others blocked for him tonight.

That's good coaching. Ratts send Membrey back and makes a hole up front.

I have a few qualms about Ratts at the moment and this is one of them. We've basically hamstrung ourselves for the majority of the season because we don't use Ryder and Marshall properly. Every game Ryder rucks as majority ruck, bar a few, he barely touches the ball. Then we have Marshall hardly getting into games in the forward line. Tonight was a great example, when Marshall went into the ruck he destroyed his opponent. Imagine if we'd had him there the whole game? The mind boggles for me what this season could have been if we'd used Marshall as our first ruck all year and used Paddy as a forward who can go into the ruck when we need him.

I wonder if they use Paddy due to the fact that our mids just don't have that natural instinct?
It works most of the time but our mids have become overreliant on Paddy winning the tap.
They have a different mindset when Marshall is the main guy.

After watching Geary's speech this week the players should be ashamed after what they dished up.

That man bled for this club...

Bunch of ******* cowards running around a paddock tonight, an absolute disgrace.

As a supporter I want to apologize to Geary and his family after the effort shown tonight.

Pathetic.
Nothing more St Kilda than dogging an absolute champion of the club. Par for the course

Not many blokes who’d tie the laces of our era from 2004-11.

Interesting experiment.

Wilkie and Sinc pick themselves over Clarke & Ray.

Gresham has to play purely as a forward. Maybe a small stint on ball but not a starting mid. That takes out McQualter and gets Schneider up the ground.

King has shown that, with a decent midfield delivering, he can dominate teams. He would win a Coleman with that 09 midfield.

Kosi v Marshall - If I'm playing Marshall then Kosi misses out. Kosi was great in the ruck but we didn't see it enough to be sure. Could drop Smack Gardiner and rotate Kosi and Marshall? That would be pretty cool...

Ball v Steele - A fully fit Ball would be nice but we didn't have that for long. I think Jack has earned his place.

No DMac = No Saints. He replaces Clint Jones.

Blake - Dawson - Baker
Dempster - Fisher - Wilkie
Dal Santo - Hayes - Sinclair
Gwilt - Riewoldt - Schneider
Milne - King - Gresham
Gardiner - Montagna - Goddard
Gilbert - Marshall - Steele - DMac

Could we be the first club to re-sign and sack a coach in the same year?

In sensational news today Brett Ratten has been sacked as St Kilda coach and replaced with Jarryn Geary as coach due to a Saints supporter revolt.

Nothing more St Kilda than dogging an absolute champion of the club. Par for the course

At least they are so shit that we'll need to drop 10 players and Gears and Hanners will get a few games.

I'll say it again. We haven't had a decent coach since Ross Lyon.

We haven't been playing solid 4 quarter footy all year, even though we won some games early. Now we've been found out.

It's an absolute joke that we re-signed Ratten the way we did. Seeing things written like "it would have been an act of football bastardry if we didn't" from journos makes my skin crawl.

Our list has more potential than they show on the field.

Great sporting teams are lead by their coach.

I don't care how feel good it is around the club. I don't care if ratten heals the sick and raises the dead. I just want St Kilda to be a well coached footy team.

We're a shambles... there's no accountability...I've had a gut full.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2022: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back