Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keating stabbed Hawke in the back after giving assurances he wouldn't and then he rode Hawke's popularity for a number of years until it ran out.

You never saw Keating go to the cricket or drink a beer, he was into the fine arts and was married to a European woman, he was no man of the people.

It's no wonder Howard defeated him in 1996, he at least pretended to like cricket and like beer and be a man of the people despite being a raging nerd.

Keating stabbed Hawke in the back after giving assurances he wouldn't and then he rode Hawke's popularity for a number of years until it ran out.

You never saw Keating go to the cricket or drink a beer, he was into the fine arts and was married to a European woman, he was no man of the people.

It's no wonder Howard defeated him in 1996, he at least pretended to like cricket and like beer and be a man of the people despite being a raging nerd.

Keating as a politician did all the big structural stuff that made us wealthy under Howard. Howard was popular on the back of that prosperity and stability but Keating had run his course too.

Keating as a politician did all the big structural stuff that made us wealthy under Howard. Howard was popular on the back of that prosperity and stability but Keating had run his course too.
That's correct, his major changes ensured we have been recession free for 30 years. He protected the middle class while places like the UK and USA destroyed it.
Hawke was there for years and was running out of steam, would have lost the 1993 election to Hewson. Keating pulled off the miracle win.
As Don Watson wrote, by the time he became PM he was exhausted and Hawke had used all of his energy for his own political capital.
I don't want my PM's being judged by beer drinking or sport watching. Hawke at the cricket or a faux sports fan like Morrison being the every man on the hill at a Sharks game.
I want them not to **** off to Hawaii when the joint is on fire, I don't want them killing people with thing like Robodebt, or giving us a trillion in debt. I want them not to be populists but to run the country.

That's correct, his major changes ensured we have been recession free for 30 years. He protected the middle class while places like the UK and USA destroyed it.
Hawke was there for years and was running out of steam, would have lost the 1993 election to Hewson. Keating pulled off the miracle win.
As Don Watson wrote, by the time he became PM he was exhausted and Hawke had used all of his energy for his own political capital.
I don't want my PM's being judged by beer drinking or sport watching. Hawke at the cricket or a faux sports fan like Morrison being the every man on the hill at a Sharks game.
I want them not to * off to Hawaii when the joint is on fire, I don't want them killing people with thing like Robodebt, or giving us a trillion in debt. I want them not to be populists but to run the country.

But it also plunged us into one pretty severely. That was one huge reason Howard got elected. The recession we had to have.
Howard brought in the GST pretty smoothly , and i'm a big fan of that. Taxes were going through the roof, we had 4 brackets or so and hardly anyone was in lower one.
The GST made sure people living on cash, including drug dealers, criminals, and business owners who never paid tax but always had cash, at least paid something when they used their money.

Keating's goverment:
Introduced mandatory detention for Refugees.
Promoted a Republic in a way which was derogatory to the British ( and those who fought alongside them ). ( It was a bit of a trait of his to be offensive ) just after sucking up to the Queen ( and patting her arse ) when she visited.
Introduced Mabo legislation.
Sent troups to the Gulf War.
Sold Quantas.

Bit of a mixed bag there really, I think a few of his big election promises hadn't happened and it was probably some of his other ministers who let him down too.

After 6 terms of Labour there was probably a fair few in the community who just wanted change for the hell of it too.

I like to think Howard was only popular because the other mob was a rabble, I mean he doesn't lose to Rudd in a nerd off if he's respected, and at that point if we think Saints have a nepotism problem, coalition was royal inbred by comparison.

Same reason local Vic Libs have zero chance since Kennet burned people outside Melbourne, the other mob got in, even when they screwed up their opposition was "I'm dodgy and unpopular, but aren't I better than 1-2 screw ups? JESUS!" and a rabble. So they continue onwards in irrelevance since again last time they were in it was almost an emphatic "don't sign that contract weeks out from an election or so help us" they went LOL and signed it then blamed the other mob for cancelling it and costing billions, like WTF dumbarses, that's your ego, not theirs, stop your tantrums, it was a minority with zero mandate...

But it also plunged us into one pretty severely. That was one huge reason Howard got elected. The recession we had to have.
Howard brought in the GST pretty smoothly , and i'm a big fan of that. Taxes were going through the roof, we had 4 brackets or so and hardly anyone was in lower one.
The GST made sure people living on cash, including drug dealers, criminals, and business owners who never paid tax but always had cash, at least paid something when they used their money.

Keating's goverment:
Promoted a Republic in a way which was derogatory to the British ( and those who fought alongside them ). ( It was a bit of a trait of his to be offensive ) just after sucking up to the Queen ( and patting her arse ) when she visited.
Sold Quantas.

Bit of a mixed bag there really, I think a few of his big election promises hadn't happened and it was probably some of his other ministers who let him down too.

After 6 terms of Labour there was probably a fair few in the community who just wanted change for the hell of it too.

His biggest thing for me was the gun buy back, not convinced an ALP gov would have been able to pull that off, am convinced they would have also pushed through a GST though, but Howard was right guy right time for that paradigm shift after Port Arthur. ALPs problem at that time and why they don't do that gun buy back is because they'd have likely shuffled cabinet 14 times and used the return guns in a self KO cabinet spat.

Do as I say not as I do. Seriously though, as I've got older I've stopped being as passionate about politics but still can't look away. You can vote for the politicians that you think will be better but getting upset to the point that you'd do something crazy isn't fighting anyone but your own best interests. It's kind of futile and all we have got left is to live the best we can for ourselves and our family and friends and hope some rubs off on others down the line.

The way Twitter and other social media feeds you your own politics back to you and makes the other side look like they have agendas, are stupid and unhinged is extremely dangerous. I have friends with very different politics from each other but they aren't different in any real way. The most passionate ones come across as nutters on both sides. Bad s**t goes on in the world, always has and always will, just do things that make you happy and don't worry about what you can't control. That's why footy is ace. It has all the same drama but ends in a few hours and sometimes the little guy wins.
And that's what I mean - you have a balanced, nuanced view of our contemporary world, which I think is edging closer to a sort of apocalyptic stage, so I understand your perspective. But, man, some of your St Kilda stuff....wowee, FMD and fair bloody dinkum!!!

Keating's goverment:
Sold Quantas.

The recession was probably a necessity to deflate an over stimulated economy after the 80s. No-one wants them but when everything over inflates thing have a corresponding crash.

Keating was more of a conservative than Hewson would have been probably. Selling non essential assets was a way to get ourselves buddied up to those pushing a global economy. The later selling of essential service assets is where the wheels fell off. Selling off national assets and taking minimal royalties has hurt us more than anything though. Some campaigners sold us out and not sure if it wasn't multiple politicians.

GST is shithouse. Doesn't stop cash, it promotes a secondary economy.

I like to think Howard was only popular because the other mob was a rabble, I mean he doesn't lose to Rudd in a nerd off if he's respected, and at that point if we think Saints have a nepotism problem, coalition was royal inbred by comparison.

Same reason local Vic Libs have zero chance since Kennet burned people outside Melbourne, the other mob got in, even when they screwed up their opposition was "I'm dodgy and unpopular, but aren't I better than 1-2 screw ups? JESUS!" and a rabble. So they continue onwards in irrelevance since again last time they were in it was almost an emphatic "don't sign that contract weeks out from an election or so help us" they went LOL and signed it then blamed the other mob for cancelling it and costing billions, like WTF dumbarses, that's your ego, not theirs, stop your tantrums, it was a minority with zero mandate...

His biggest thing for me was the gun buy back, not convinced an ALP gov would have been able to pull that off, am convinced they would have also pushed through a GST though, but Howard was right guy right time for that paradigm shift after Port Arthur. ALPs problem at that time and why they don't do that gun buy back is because they'd have likely shuffled cabinet 14 times and used the return guns in a self KO cabinet spat.

Rudd learnt the hard way not to **** with the mining lobby. He was going well but they taught him lesson. Went from one of our most popular to least popular in record time and mostly through invested media and a smear campaign that cost a fortune. Labor are still scared of the gas industry because of it. They know how to make sure that their lap dogs don't bite.

I thought that Howard was lucky to have a very strong team.

Costello, Downer, Turnbull.

I was kind of stunned when Abbott became the man of the moment.

The recession was probably a necessity to deflate an over stimulated economy after the 80s. No-one wants them but when everything over inflates thing have a corresponding crash.

Keating was more of a conservative than Hewson would have been probably. Selling non essential assets was a way to get ourselves buddied up to those pushing a global economy. The later selling of essential service assets is where the wheels fell off. Selling off national assets and taking minimal royalties has hurt us more than anything though. Some campaigners sold us out and not sure if it wasn't multiple politicians.

If a drug dealer buys a new Mercedes, they pay GST.
If an astute businessman buy lavish furniture and fine wine, they pay GST.

Plenty within the Labour party wanted it too, it stops all the burden being lumped onto the PAYE tax payers.

Howard to me was driven and dependable by comparison, Beasley was that uncle you don't speak to because in their past they killed a bloke and did time and ALP then followed up with "I will handshake you then beat you to death with your arm" so you know.... kinda killed their chances for a few years there.

They were nothing if not great at selling a narrative, but Turnbull is a snake and Costello screamed wealth baby to me, so those two didn't really warrant much praise, Downer was a goer though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Costello was a fraud. Gave away money to keep them in power and was promoted in the media as a good manager but got fat off Keating doing the hard yards. Don't think Turnbull and Downer weren't anything special but at least they were pretty stable and solid which isn't what you'd say about many sitting coalition members now days.

Nah disagree. It wasn't supposed to stop cash but make it so that the cash can't avoid taxation forever, which it largely does. Also broadens the base of the tax system so that more people pay less each, and rich people pay more so it's naturally fairly progressive. Should be 20% though - with an increase in the tax free threshold. Also should be a broad-based asset tax so that rich people who own assets get taxed for holding onto them.

Back to records
How many of you lot collect vinyl records?

I just got back from sorting out my old stuff at my parents home for the first time since my mum died ,and i think i have a hundred and something of them.

Some of them were probably bought second hand, or budget, but some are pretty decent.
Mostly recorded onto Cassette the first time i played them, and cassette used from then on.
I intend to go through and catalog them all.

Can't see myself becoming a vinyl aficionado at this stage.
Sold a shit load years ago and still kick myself
If u have any Metal I'd be keen but if the heaviest u have is Zeps then do what gringo said
You're prob sitting on a decent amount of coin if you're keen to sell them, Just do your research.
Queen records are always pretty in demand. The classic stuff and big bands are usually worth a lot more on eBay.

Queen was the only ones I kept funny enough
Think I have up to The Miracle and double copies of the first album with diff covers

Missing the poster out of Jazz thou (spewing)

Back to records

Sold a s**t load years ago and still kick myself
If u have any Metal I'd be keen but if the heaviest u have is Zeps then do what gringo said
You're prob sitting on a decent amount of coin if you're keen to sell them, Just do your resear

Queen was the only ones I kept funny enough
Think I have up to The Miracle and double copies of the first album with diff covers

Missing the poster out of Jazz thou (spewing)
Yeah I have the Queen collection on vinyl
Also have every Bon Scott/ AC-DC album twice

I've been listening to old Metallica this week, unfortunately streaming services only seem to have the remasters of the 80s albums which don't sound as good as the old ones used to. Or maybe I'm just old and my ears are bad now.

Love lightning and puppets

Unpopular as it is with a s**t snare sound but I also like st anger
Don't mind Death Magnetic either

Been smashing Megadeth lately
St Anger is underrated lol. The drums suck, but there are some good moments on that album. I thought Death Magnetic was the best album they had released since the Metallica album in 91

Love lightning and puppets

Unpopular as it is with a s**t snare sound but I also like st anger
Don't mind Death Magnetic either

Been smashing Megadeth lately

Lightening and Puppets are their two best IMO. The structures on some of those albums wouldn't be out of place in classical music. I hate their later stuff. Too deliberately mainstream.

And Justice too, actually anything pre black album.

Lightening and Puppets are their two best IMO. The structures on some of those albums wouldn't be out of place in classical music. I hate their later stuff. Too deliberately mainstream.

And Justice too, actually anything pre black album.

I have a soft spot for Black and Load and Reload because of when I first listened to them, teenage years.

But yeah the three records before are classics. I can't really do Kill Em All except for curiosity, a bit too half-baked for me.

Anyone streaming the AGM ? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back