Good Call Bad Call 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Good call, but potentially an over ambitious call.

I really like Boyd. He was once he got into the swing of things a better option out of the BP than Williams was; he matched Saad and Docherty better, as he locked down harder than Docherty and freed Saad up from being the most defensive running defender, as well as being genuinely fast, a fierce tackler and a genuinely scything kick. But while those attributes marry well with a wing position, to be a wing needs two other attributes; game sense (knowing where the ball will be and when to get there) and knowing how to find the ball.

Boyd isn't a natural at finding the ball. He gets led to it, and beats his opponent once there; it's why his first few games were a little trying, as he didn't trust himself to win those moment to moment contests. He's also not a reader of the game, in the same way Cuningham isn't a reader of the game.

If the development coaches are brilliant, he could absolutely be developed as a winger; make him the defensive winger and teach him where to be and when to get there, and chuck a ball magnet (Walsh/Acres) on the other wing. He chugs along getting 10-20 disposals, but provides run and quality whenever he goes near it whilst ruining opposition run and filling a hole down back.

I'd like to think our coaches are that good, but that's something I'd see Sydney or Geelong do rather than us.

Premature call, although i think the coaching group we have assembled are as good as any.. With reference to Boyd and wing, i would hope that they have identified that our needs to develop a genuine lock down medium/small defender is just as critical as our deficiencies on the wing, so if they are giving him coaching, I hope it is in defensive play, particularly against dangerous explosive medium forwards which tend to chop us up repeatedly.

One of our draftees will play round 1, probably Cowan but could be any. GC/BC?

Good call, but potentially an over ambitious call.

I really like Boyd. He was once he got into the swing of things a better option out of the BP than Williams was; he matched Saad and Docherty better, as he locked down harder than Docherty and freed Saad up from being the most defensive running defender, as well as being genuinely fast, a fierce tackler and a genuinely scything kick. But while those attributes marry well with a wing position, to be a wing needs two other attributes; game sense (knowing where the ball will be and when to get there) and knowing how to find the ball.

Boyd isn't a natural at finding the ball. He gets led to it, and beats his opponent once there; it's why his first few games were a little trying, as he didn't trust himself to win those moment to moment contests. He's also not a reader of the game, in the same way Cuningham isn't a reader of the game.

If the development coaches are brilliant, he could absolutely be developed as a winger; make him the defensive winger and teach him where to be and when to get there, and chuck a ball magnet (Walsh/Acres) on the other wing. He chugs along getting 10-20 disposals, but provides run and quality whenever he goes near it whilst ruining opposition run and filling a hole down back.

I'd like to think our coaches are that good, but that's something I'd see Sydney or Geelong do rather than us.
Boyd, while mature aged, is virtually “untapped”. He has performed admirably at lower levels in every third of the ground. If we didn’t have Saad, Williams and even Newman, he could be moulded in to a designated distributor rebounding role. He is a genuine goal kicker from outside 50 at the same time. Has good pace. I am unsure of his endurance capabilities as yet.

His kicking is an absolute weapon, and he looks to find a target as opposed to indiscriminant “bombing”.

Will be a great watch seeing where he “lands”.

Bad(ish) call although I'm a big fan of Motlop.

That's only cos I reckons my man Durds will have a breakout year in 2023 as our next best productive forward - although I also reckon Durdin and Motlop are going to be anything as a small forward combo with a few more games under their belt.

Cunners is our most talented midfielder - good call/bad call.
Most dynamic call…

Bad call, Harry is a weapon up forward and one of our most important pieces for the next decade, you dont risk him in the ruck.. Perhaps taking boundary throw ins inside 50m like Tom Hawkins does but certainly wouldnt want him anywhere near a centre bounce.

Weiters should play the unaccountable Dustin Fletcher/Matt Scarlett/ Tom Stewart type defender where he does not get allocated a direct opponent and just intercepts everything. GC/BC?
BC…

Possible good call - Durds and Mots were in the thick of it with stoppage drills (ie ruckman tapping to position) at the open training session, but that may be geared more around stoppages in the forward half. They didn't look out of place at all though, and Motlop's hand skills at ground level were off the charts.

Carlton should ditch Docklands Stadium and play the majority of its home games at the MCG.....GC/BC
One could only dream call…
GC…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

harry would be a bigger loss than charlie should one cop a busted finger and take 6 weeks to get back...............good call, bad call?
Hmm call, much of a muchness call.

Charlie is more likely to kick a bag, Harry to get off the chain consistently.

We talking the author, thread or both
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Good Call Bad Call 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back