2023 Hawthorn List Management Discussion (including Trade, FA period)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We aren't going to get a flag winning list by bringing in players for fair trade value it won't happen.

We need to take all our picks in draft and maybe trade future picks for picks now.

Pick up free agents if we can or under appreciated players who we can get cheaply.

We don't have multiple top 10 picks but we have don't well with the bargain picks to get 10 quality. Sicily, Hardwick, Lewis, scrimshaw, Jiath, bramble, Newcombe, Worpel, Morrison, Moore, amon are the picks that set you apart.

If you trade pick 20 for a guy worth pick 20 you just hope he lives up to it.

First round trading should be off limits unless we are dropping in an all Australian level player. But you can get them for free like with Amon.

His old man played nearly 100 games for us, a few more and he'd be in our colours already, that's not zero connection.
Only if he wanted to go F/S, and we had the ability to bid on him.

Tell me - what current connection do Crawford’s kids, or Hodge’s kids, or Burgoyne’s kids have to our club?

None, absolutely no connection.

Anderson is no different.

Once in the AFL system (which probably none of those kids will be anyhow) they’re well paid professionals who go where the opportunities / offers maximise their earning potential. Same as any other professional with limited time to earn very good money.

People who get all misty-eyed about father/son are amusing…and slightly delusional.

Last edited:
Tell me - what current connection do Crawford’s kids, or Hodge’s kids, or Burgoyne’s kids have to our club?

Once in the AFL system (which probably none of those kids will be anyhow) they’re well paid professionals who go where the opportunities / offers maximise their earning potential. Same as any other professional with limited time to earn very good money.

People who get all misty-eyed about father/son are amusing…and slightly delusional.
Anderson is very different. His dad never played enough games for him to be considered a father son, there is some distaste between his father and the club, and he didn’t follow the Hawks.

The other players, you mention did play enough games for the kids to be father-son, and we know that at least for a large amount of time they all did follow the Hawks while their fathers won multiple premierships.

Anderson is very different. His dad never played enough games for him to be considered a father son, there is some distaste between his father and the club, and he didn’t follow the Hawks.

The other players, you mention did play enough games for the kids to be father-son, and we know that at least for a large amount of time they all did follow the Hawks while their fathers won multiple premierships.

Yup - slight difference with kids who got to soak in the fun of playing in the post-match confetti on grand final day versus Noah who was born many years after his dad was no longer a professional footy player.

What the **** are talking about? Their dad playing for the Hawks is literally the connection.

How strong that connection is and whether it is enough for them to want to play for us is an entirely different discussion.

The romance around father/son is irrelevant.

None of Hodge’s kids are remotely connected to Hawthorn now. Same for Crawford and Burgoyne. They’ve all moved out of Victoria and reside in other states.

So the idea that Noah Anderson, with no F/S eligibility, and his father clearly more an ex-St Kilda than Hawthorn player, would feel any pull to play for us over/above any of the other 16 clubs seems rather far-fetched don’t you think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of Hodge’s kids are remotely connected to Hawthorn now. Same for Crawford and Burgoyne. They’ve all moved out of Victoria and reside in other states.

So the idea that Noah Anderson, with no F/S eligibility, and his father clearly more an ex-St Kilda than Hawthorn player, would feel any pull to play for us over/above any of the other 16 clubs seems rather far-fetched don’t you think?
They’re not remotely connected because they live in other states?

I guess Will McCabe isn’t either then.

They’re not remotely connected because they live in other states?

I guess Will McCabe isn’t either then.

Interstate meaning not connected is a silly point - I supported Hawthorn most of my life form interstate. I’m giving up hope on the Hodge boys playing in our colours though barring Hodge getting a coaching gig down here and the Lions academy becoming less of a threat.

Not a huge amount of big fish this year that i am interested in and realistically see happening, happy to have a year of looking for more value buys. Schultz as a FA i like. Finn you obviously monitor but i think more often then not they will at least re-sign for 2 years and reassess.

What the * are talking about? Their dad playing for the Hawks is literally the connection.

How strong that connection is and whether it is enough for them to want to play for us is an entirely different discussion.

The romance around father/son is irrelevant.
Not a “current” connection.

Most of Hodge’s and Crawford’s kids were born after they left Hawthorn.

In your mind there may be an historical connection, but in 2023 they have no connection with us. Hodge played / coached Brisbane as his kids grew up. Burgoyne took the whole family back to Port where he now works. Crawford lives up near the NSW/ QLD border and isn’t involved at the club either.

So that means no current connection.

Anderson likewise, and almost inevitably would have no historical pull towards playing for Hawthorn.

Call me crazy but I would rather be slightly delusional than clinically indifferent about possible father/son prospects.

In your mind there may be an historical connection, but in 2023 they have no connection with us. Hodge played / coached Brisbane as his kids grew up. Burgoyne took the whole family back to Port where he now works. Crawford lives up near the NSW/ QLD border and isn’t involved at the club either.

Anderson likewise, and almost inevitably would have no historical pull towards playing for Hawthorn.
The one thing you seem to have overlooked is that all those kids WILL have a choice of coming to Hawks as F-S, something that Noah Anderson did not have. There will always be that connection.

So there is a connection ...

You're making an argument against a point that hasn't been made. Follow the conversation.

So there is a connection ...

You're making an argument against a point that hasn't been made. Follow the conversation.

As with many things in life there is nuance though - I don't think it's as simple as 'dad played for club once therefore kid has connection to club'. I don't believe that a kid who never even saw his dad play professional footy in the flesh, whose dad apparently holds some discontent about his exit from the club and who never supported the club growing up has any connection to our club. Hence I originally stated the calls to 'bring Noah home' are just plain silly. Players who had their kids out on the field with them after winning grand finals are slightly different.

Putting it this way - my dad worked most of his life for the Civil Aviation Authority. I have zero affinity or connection with that particular body. It has no baring on my life. It would be the same if I happened to go work in the APS in a different department as well.

As with many things in life there is nuance though - I don't think it's as simple as 'dad played for club once therefore kid has connection to club'. I don't believe that a kid who never even saw his dad play professional footy in the flesh, whose dad apparently holds some discontent about his exit from the club and who never supported the club growing up has any connection to our club. Hence I originally stated the calls to 'bring Noah home' are just plain silly. Players who had their kids out on the field with them after winning grand finals are slightly different.

Putting it this way - my dad worked most of his life for the Civil Aviation Authority. I have zero affinity or connection with that particular body. It has no baring on my life. It would be the same if I happened to go work in the APS in a different department as well.
In my view, it is that simple. I do agree it's not strong enough for "bring him home" calls, but it's a connection nonetheless.

Again, with Day, he neither supported Hawks nor saw his granddad play but he felt that connection once he arrived.

Both my dad and granddad served in the Air Force, when I joined Air Cadets when I was younger, I felt some pride wearing the same uniform they did.

If Noah, for whatever reason, did join us, I'm sure he'd feel that connection, even if it wasn't a factor in the decision to join us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back