Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Goldy ahead of an injured X pumps our average up up half a year and average games up by 12.

JZ, Cunners, Shiels, and Greenwood doing the rest of the heavy listing.

Will lose 4 of the 5 years end most likely (Greenwood met the triggers for the extension right?)

In terms of performance can we justify dropping any of those 5 right now? Case mounting for Cunners sadly. Hugh sub last 2 weeks but rumored carrying a niggle.

The age thing is a crock of shit. The keys will be handed to the kids when they’re ready. Clarko carried potatoes for the first couple of years at Hawthorn.

Do we really want a struggling Curtis and Goater out there today? How does that help them?

Unfortunately he isn’t getting any effort out of the boys atm. I know Clarko is a great motivator but surely he wouldn’t put up with the players just going out with little to no competitiveness. Surely the message or the game plan isn’t falling on deaf ears already? Is our list just holding onto horrible habits?

I hate to say it but look at the rejuvenation and the effort Ross Lyon has got out of his saints decimated list. Incredible scenes. Hell even the bombers under Bard is looking refreshed and are up and about.

I get it, we won’t win many and not for a while. Not expecting that. But truely had a gut full of years and years of no competitiveness. That has to be a minimum before anything else. Bloody EFFORT! :(

Unfortunately he isn’t getting any effort out of the boys atm. I know Clarko is a great motivator but surely he wouldn’t put up with the players just going out with little to no competitiveness. Surely the message or the game plan isn’t falling on deaf ears already? Is our list just holding onto horrible habits?

I hate to say it but look at the rejuvenation and the effort Ross Lyon has got out of his saints decimated list. Incredible scenes. Hell even the bombers under Bard is looking refreshed and are up and about.

I get it, we won’t win many and not for a while. Not expecting that. But truely had a gut full of years and years of no competitiveness. That has to be a minimum before anything else. Bloody EFFORT! :(
there is no comparing saints and * list to ours, ours is f*cking dogsh*t

Unfortunately it's the same shit we had with Noble in that we had to put up with them learning new game plans etc. Still carrying so many as well (Hall should have always been a break in case of emergency and here he is in the team round 6). If McKay is staying he needs to work it out quick with Logue because not only is he killing himself he's killing Corr. It's been said and will be said again and again that our forward line is f***ing dumb. Nobody runs where they should.

Been handed a list with a promising young brigade and not much else.

5 year contract for a reason. He warned us too don't forget.

That is true.

But why can’t we learn to be competitive beasts before learning a new game style. When we are playing like we are today, I can’t see any of our players desperately wanting to win or contest.

That’s on our environment and our coaches to cultivate that. I suppose it will take time.

I think my post was more to say Clarko isn’t getting it out of our group “right now”

That is true.

But why can’t we learn to be competitive beasts before learning a new game style. When we are playing like we are today, I can’t see any of our players desperately wanting to win or contest.

That’s on our environment and our coaches to cultivate that. I suppose it will take time.

I think my post was more to say Clarko isn’t getting it out of our group “right now”
Totally get where you're coming from.

For me, it's not even about being competitive beasts for 4 quarters because that's impossible.

It's about being able to absorb pressure and switch momentum, which we can't do consistently at the moment. Our skills suck and Clarkson mentioned this as a major issue.

We've relied on effort and intensity the last 15 years but that hasn't worked well when we're exposed for lack of skill or structures.

We're gonna get done and have games like today. It's the reality of not having enough consistent elite players. You can have your bottom end battlers, but we had too many of those types and still do.

The patience is required here. Don't be fooled by the first two games. I'm just here for the downfall and when we're on the up.

For example today.

Even after half time. Don’t know what has been said but players are just walking around. Legit. Strolling around the contest.

This is worrying because it’s so early in his tenure and the players are already like meh. Are the players going to come out next week and show some intensity? Brisbane flogged us and we look even lazier this week.

more aimed to the selection panel but our backline selection is SO SHIT, we won 2 games with goater and bergman and they get dropped? I get we lost to the hawks and baggers but continually at this level is what they need.

I get we also need to make way for McKay but should have gone through the VFL.

First 2 rounds we were actually playing really ****ing good footy like it was so exciting but **** me we’ve gone back to being slow and shit.

more aimed to the selection panel but our backline selection is SO s**t, we won 2 games with goater and bergman and they get dropped? I get we lost to the hawks and baggers but continually at this level is what they need.

I get we also need to make way for McKay but should have gone through the VFL.

First 2 rounds we were actually playing really ******* good footy like it was so exciting but * me we’ve gone back to being slow and s**t.

Good point. Bring in the kids. Stop being safe at the selection table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Temper your expectations.

Since when does a wooden spoon side become a overnight competitive unit? I was going to expect us to be competitive but clearly, we have to accept that this football side is shite. Too many delists in the VFL team that can't break into the AFL team paired with our talented young players getting injured.

We've got such a long list of deadwood. I'm glad we've got this bloke to sort it because everyone has forgotten the clueless leadership beforehand that gave us this mess.

Temper your expectations.

Since when does a wooden spoon side become a overnight competitive unit? I
2020 crows got the wooden spoon. 21 they were competitive but copped a couple of hidings. 2021, Collingwood were second last!
2019 Blues were last and have been climbing since.
Fact is, we’ve got back to back spoons and are now looking like we could well get the 3 peat.

2020 crows got the wooden spoon. 21 they were competitive but copped a couple of hidings. 2021, Collingwood were second last!
Fact is, we’ve got back to back spoons and are now looking like we could well get the 3 peat.

When do get to not temper our expectations. When can we start to expect something?

For all the rubbishing of the zone defence I feel it should be mentioned that our current percentage is better than what we ended up with for the last THREE years.
Yeah we gotta keep learning a zone…it’s always gonna look worse when the effort is so poor…but Christ it looks so ugly so often. We had a little patch in the second where we had momentum and we killed it with horrendous turnovers as we tried to transition from half back…heads drop…game over. Again. Cue handballs backwards, making it someone else’s problem, structural breakdowns, I.e not playing like a team.

It’s the delicate delicate delicate balance between teaching them while knowing we’ll lose most weeks and not destroying their confidence. Noble couldn’t do it. He made them more fragile. Clarkson has to be so ****en on the money to turn this around…I’m keeping faith obviously but that was so hard to watch.

Yeah we gotta keep learning a zone…it’s always gonna look worse when the effort is so poor…but Christ it looks so ugly so often. We had a little patch in the second where we had momentum and we killed it with horrendous turnovers as we tried to transition from half back…heads drop…game over. Again. Cue handballs backwards, making it someone else’s problem, structural breakdowns, I.e not playing like a team.

It’s the delicate delicate delicate balance between teaching them while knowing we’ll lose most weeks and not destroying their confidence. Noble couldn’t do it. He made them more fragile. Clarkson has to be so *en on the money to turn this around…I’m keeping faith obviously but that was so hard to watch.

It’s why we have ”Happy” Clarko. He’s not a dill. There’s a group bereft of confidence and light on in talent.

I get ya Mav but we're not close to the level of talent those sides have.

You're comparing us to footy teams that were grand finalists. We're coming from a list full of plodders which are being delisted and replaced by young talent.

Watch Adelaide vs Carlton last week and Collingwood in general. They still have a backbone to work from. Who do we got? We had to bring Shiels from retirement!

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back