List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Fellow Subiaco product Lance Collard continues to be heavily linked to both WA clubs. While Richmond has also shown ample interest in the speedy goalkicker, rival clubs don’t expect Collard to be on the board by the Tigers’ first selection, with the Eagles to strongly consider taking Collard with their natural second-rounder – the first pick of night two of the draft. Glenelg forward Ashton Moir also continues to be linked to the Eagles.

Best 22 and depth pre-draft (but with Reid of course):

FB: Yeo Barrass Duggan
HB: Hunt McGovern Hough
C: Chesser Reid Burgiel
HF: Cripps Allen Hewett
FF: Ryan B.Williams Long
R: Flynn Kelly Ginbey
INT: Petruccelle Jones Maric Cole
SUB: Brockman

Depth:
DEF: Bazzo, H.Edwards, Rotham, Witherden
MID: Culley, L.Edwards, Sheed, Gaff, Trew
FWD: J.Williams, Waterman, Darling
RUCK: Jamieson, Barnett

Yes, I know, I know. Few injuries and bang! Gaff is in the guts. But does that best 22 not look damn exciting?
Reid and Hewett rotating between mid and forward.
Ginbey rotating with Duggan feat the odd Yeo cameo.
Chesser and Burgiel learning their craft on the wings.
Experience to balance out the youth despite Darling, Gaff and Sheed waiting in the wings.

It's also interesting to note the depth areas we're weakest in once the starting team has filled out.
Personally feel we should prioritise a mercurial forward (Collard, Moir?), KPD project (Zakostelsky?), fast and skilful rebounder (Jiath?), and more mids that complement the existing core perhaps (Simpson?). Another project ruck, provided he's a genuinely tall prospect (Edwards?), wouldn't surprise me either, but I'd prefer to back the current young rucks in, still have a lot of faith in Barnett.
You not putting witherden in the best 22 makes me happy ! Offers nothing

I think darling starts over maric to take some heat off Allen

I would move cole to the back pocket , Burgeil to the bench , Duggan centre mid as a big body to protect the kids . Hewett to the wing and Reid HFF to start

You not putting witherden in the best 22 makes me happy ! Offers nothing

I think darling starts over maric to take some heat off Allen

I would move cole to the back pocket , Burgeil to the bench , Duggan centre mid as a big body to protect the kids . Hewett to the wing and Reid HFF to start
Hewett is not a winger. He is an inside mid rotating forward. Burgiel way more likely to play there in the future.

Best 22 and depth pre-draft (but with Reid of course):

FB: Yeo Barrass Duggan
HB: Hunt McGovern Hough
C: Chesser Reid Burgiel
HF: Cripps Allen Hewett
FF: Ryan B.Williams Long
R: Flynn Kelly Ginbey
INT: Petruccelle Jones Maric Cole
SUB: Brockman

Depth:
DEF: Bazzo, H.Edwards, Rotham, Witherden
MID: Culley, L.Edwards, Sheed, Gaff, Trew
FWD: J.Williams, Waterman, Darling
RUCK: Jamieson, Barnett

Yes, I know, I know. Few injuries and bang! Gaff is in the guts. But does that best 22 not look damn exciting?
Reid and Hewett rotating between mid and forward.
Ginbey rotating with Duggan feat the odd Yeo cameo.
Chesser and Burgiel learning their craft on the wings.
Experience to balance out the youth despite Darling, Gaff and Sheed waiting in the wings.

It's also interesting to note the depth areas we're weakest in once the starting team has filled out.
Personally feel we should prioritise a mercurial forward (Collard, Moir?), KPD project (Zakostelsky?), fast and skilful rebounder (Jiath?), and more mids that complement the existing core perhaps (Simpson?). Another project ruck, provided he's a genuinely tall prospect (Edwards?), wouldn't surprise me either, but I'd prefer to back the current young rucks in, still have a lot of faith in Barnett.
Would love to see this line up or something similar Round 1. Darling will play and deservedly so. Showed enough last year with limited opportunity, and I think it is important to continue to support Oscar.

Brockman plays in the starting 22, potentially at the expense of either Chesser or Burgeil and Sheed to come in to the side for Jones to begin the season.

Fellow Subiaco product Lance Collard continues to be heavily linked to both WA clubs. While Richmond has also shown ample interest in the speedy goalkicker, rival clubs don’t expect Collard to be on the board by the Tigers’ first selection, with the Eagles to strongly consider taking Collard with their natural second-rounder – the first pick of night two of the draft. Glenelg forward Ashton Moir also continues to be linked to the Eagles.

Two interesting talents that would be worth a shot at our respective picks.

I'd be happy with Reid, Collard and Moir.

I'd really love some improved/more early second rounders.

Today's West if anyone's interested... 20231114_093547.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kidding ourselves if we think Darling and Sheed are still not best 22. Darling played with 1 arm and a crook back all year and was still a very good contribtuor and Sheed has enough credits in the bank to still be best 22 despite a bad 10 or so games to end the year
Best 22 for Round 1 or Best 22 for building a future premiership team?
It's pretty clear what we should be prioritising. I do agree that Darling and Sheed will likely be locks to play, but I do question if they should be, unless they have genuinely good form of course.
In Darling's case, with BBW playing as a KPF/2nd Ruck some pressure is already for alleviated for Allen. With that in mind, Darling needs to offering more than Maric or J.Williams, or even Waterman. If he's merely breaking even with them, then why not back the youth in?
In Sheed's case, as long as he's versatile and willing to play HFF, Wing or Centre but understands that the likes of Reid, Hewett, Ginbey, Burgiel, Chesser and Long are going to be prioritised, then I'm sure he'll end up playing plenty of AFL level footy. Same applies for Gaff (and on that note, perhaps my biggest concern is having both of them gifted extensive midfield minutes. I genuinely believe that with a fit side at least one of them should be playing WAFL).
Do I have faith that Simmo would make these calls? Not particularly. But if Pyke and co. make their intention clear that they want youth prioritised at the expense of credits in the bank, then I damn well welcome it.

It's pretty clear what we should be prioritising. I do agree that Darling and Sheed will likely be locks to play, but I do question if they should be, unless they have genuinely good form of course.
In Darling's case, with BBW playing as a KPF/2nd Ruck some pressure is already for alleviated for Allen. With that in mind, Darling needs to offering more than Maric or J.Williams, or even Waterman. If he's merely breaking even with them, then why not back the youth in?
In Sheed's case, as long as he's versatile and willing to play HFF, Wing or Centre but understands that the likes of Reid, Hewett, Ginbey, Burgiel, Chesser and Long are going to be prioritised, then I'm sure he'll end up playing plenty of AFL level footy. Same applies for Gaff (and on that note, perhaps my biggest concern is having both of them gifted extensive midfield minutes. I genuinely believe that with a fit side at least one of them should be playing WAFL).
Do I have faith that Simmo would make these calls? Not particularly. But if Pyke and co. make their intention clear that they want youth prioritised at the expense of credits in the bank, then I damn well welcome it.

Think Sheed can be a part of the squad in our next premiership tilt in 5 years time for example. Not giving up on that yet after 1 bad year.

Darling needs to simply play the year out while Maric/Williams develop in the twos and in particular develop aerobically. Id rather next year be a building block year for both

I'd be happy with Reid, Collard and Moir.

I'd really love some improved/more early second rounders.
yeah agreed. im all for collard and moir with our 2nd and 3rd picks.

would be nice to generate some more picks but im also ok if the club holds out and uses the assets we have.

The discussion around Sheed, Darling and Gaff was thoroughly thrashed out during trade week. Myself and others were keen to move them on if it improved our draft hand. The fact they all remain on our list means they will 100% play. If we can maintain a healthy list then at least we might have the option to drop them as they all would’ve rightfully deserved at stages this year. Hopefully the young boys put plenty of selection pressure on.

Collard and Moir seem like 2 'risky' picks, going for both would be very un-West Coast - especially at this point in our rebuild.
Depends

We've got a shore thing in Ried

So can take a risk with R2 and R3

It's my opinion that we'll end up with additional pick/s in the 20s

Depends

We've got a shore thing in Ried

So can take a risk with R2 and R3

It's my opinion that we'll end up with additional pick/s in the 20s

I personally think it's one or the other, and unlikely Collard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back