List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Hoping she's got a few more in her and she makes it all the way to H so Hurdy Duursma can be blessed upon us
homer simpson put it in h GIF

I think some people are confusing why the 2025 draft is compromised. It's by the Academies not the Tassie team.

The under 16s All Australian team (who will be the 2025 draft class) was 11 out of 22 from the academies...

2023 AFL U16 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM
B: Lachlan Carmichael (Swans Academy), Willem Duursma (Vic Country), Lucas Wootton (Tasmania)
HB: Harrison Wilson (Giants Academy), Kalani White (Suns Academy), Harrison Bridge (Lions Academy)
C: Zeke Uwland (Suns Academy), Jack Dalton (Vic Metro), Dylan Patterson (Suns Academy)
HF: Jai Murray (Suns Academy), Noah Chamberlain (Swans Academy), Beau Addinsall (Suns Academy)
F: Oliver Greeves (Vic Metro), Archie Ludowyke (Vic Metro), Basil Hart (Western Australia)
FOL: Louis Emmett (Vic Metro), Dyson Sharp (South Australia)*, Ryder Corrigan (Giants Academy)
Well then it’s not compromised it’s simply complex.

Really surprised that North Melbourne aren't taking Curtin over Duursma. Both players are rated fairly similar draft wise but Curtin is a greater need IMO, also quite a few of the Key Position players are likely to be taken by their later picks.
Surprised but not surprised.
It's North after all. Have been drafting exclusively mids and flankers with high picks for about 5 years now

Plus from all reports Longy is the best bloke ever and Harley has known he’d be a decent chance of becoming an Eagle from a year out now. Couple of reasons (possibly among many) to keep the friendship intact.

If Curtin goes to Hawks at 4 it sets the top 8 up really

1. Harley Reid
2. Jed Walters
3. Colby McKerchee
4. Zane Duursma
5. Daniel Curtin
6. Nick Watson
7. Ethan Read
8. Ryley Sanders

I think top 8 is set in stone as one could get. Doggies will grab Watson and Demons Sanders
Osulivan goes before sanders. Imo.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really surprised that North Melbourne aren't taking Curtin over Duursma. Both players are rated fairly similar draft wise but Curtin is a greater need IMO, also quite a few of the Key Position players are likely to be taken by their later picks.
Perhaps they agree with many others that Curtin won’t make it as a KPD, and don’t want to take another flanker as you suggest? I think there’ll be a few highly rated KPDs available at their later picks and if they can’t agree a trade for Reid, will likely bundle those picks to move up the order if they have to

Best 22 and depth pre-draft (but with Reid of course):

FB: Yeo Barrass Duggan
HB: Hunt McGovern Hough
C: Chesser Reid Burgiel
HF: Cripps Allen Hewett
FF: Ryan B.Williams Long
R: Flynn Kelly Ginbey
INT: Petruccelle Jones Maric Cole
SUB: Brockman

Depth:
DEF: Bazzo, H.Edwards, Rotham, Witherden
MID: Culley, L.Edwards, Sheed, Gaff, Trew
FWD: J.Williams, Waterman, Darling
RUCK: Jamieson, Barnett

Yes, I know, I know. Few injuries and bang! Gaff is in the guts. But does that best 22 not look damn exciting?
Reid and Hewett rotating between mid and forward.
Ginbey rotating with Duggan feat the odd Yeo cameo.
Chesser and Burgiel learning their craft on the wings.
Experience to balance out the youth despite Darling, Gaff and Sheed waiting in the wings.

It's also interesting to note the depth areas we're weakest in once the starting team has filled out.
Personally feel we should prioritise a mercurial forward (Collard, Moir?), KPD project (Zakostelsky?), fast and skilful rebounder (Jiath?), and more mids that complement the existing core perhaps (Simpson?). Another project ruck, provided he's a genuinely tall prospect (Edwards?), wouldn't surprise me either, but I'd prefer to back the current young rucks in, still have a lot of faith in Barnett.

Kidding ourselves if we think Darling and Sheed are still not best 22. Darling played with 1 arm and a crook back all year and was still a very good contribtuor and Sheed has enough credits in the bank to still be best 22 despite a bad 10 or so games to end the year

It's about as surprising as asking why wouldn't West Coast just take Curtin with #1?

They aren't rated similarly, particularly in Victoria.

The best 100 state leage players would likely be better than the bottom 100 of the current AFL players as of today.
Including rookie lists that’s probably got some truth to it. Prime state league 100 compared to the bottom end of lists / developing players / rookies etc at a given point in time

I would be hesitant to trade our Future 1st for Dan Curtin - especially if we see him as a key defender.
Look at the key defenders in the AFL now, how many of the elite ones are high draft picks. History has proven that you dont need to spend a high pick on a Fullback

Sam taylor - pick 28, Blicavs rookie draft, Harris Andrews pick 61, Tom Stewart pick 40.....Allir Allir pick 44...

If we do our due diligence in our scouting department, it is certainly possible to find key defenders late in the draft.

Our F1 next year could be a Top 3 pick in a great draft. Would not want to give up the chance to draft a gun mid/Key fwd for Dan Curtin just because he's from WA. 50% of the allure for Curtin is that not a flight risk...... Thats not a good enough reason to draft Him and give up a potential top 3 pick next year

Last edited:
2 questions back to you

1. Are you believing Curtin is the next Bont? If you see that projection in Curtin, then I would have no drama in doing the deal. BUT watching him play live, I like his skill set however I do not see Bont. Will it come? Maybe I should throw that questions back to you.

Remember that Bont had spent most of his time on a HBF and HFF in his U18 year and only started transitioning to the midfield in the very back end of the season. Doggies saw the upside and not the U18 full year output, hence their gamble payed off.

Some see Curtin as a Burchell, Curtin sees himself as a Pav, I am still undecided. I had hoped for a high roaming cameron CHF at the start o fthis year but that did not eventuate. I am probably of the view that Curtin will be a 3rd tall CHB with less emphasis on intercepting and more on attacking play out of defence plus the ability to defend (but not the King 200 cm types).

As a reference point, I see Jagga as ahead of Mckercher while O'Sullivan and Draper are on a par with McKercher. And there are likely to be additional players present to the pointy end in another 12 months.

I also see it as a real possibility that we win another spoon, or are thereabouts so every expectation that we get one of these jets with our first pick next year.

2. What sort of question is that on flight risk? How many interviews have you sat in on and are WTF thinks they know this at this stage. It sounds like you chucking stuff into the mix just to muddy the waters. To satisfy your rhetorical question, they are all about as much of a flight risk as Harley is.

Could be a modern day Guy McKenna, but didn't see the confidence in his disposal at seniors that I saw at juniors, so am a bit circumspect in throwing that around. Andrew Mackie / Grant Birchall seems reasonable, which is still a 200 gamer, but not a top 3-5 lister.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back