List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
People in the Industry are not calling it, or making it out to be a super draft, the point of difference in this draft, is that its a DEEP DRAFT....... not super ....... deep.

For what it's worth I would not take anyone in this draft, before five players from last years draft, had they been in the same draft:

Reid H
Walters
McKercher
Sanders
Duursma

Last years 16 -17 draft picks:

16. Green
17. Leake
18. Wilson
19. McCabe
20. Goad

I would have none of them in this years top 25.

For what it's worth I am thrilled that we have more draft capital to take into the 2025 draft.
Now whether we keep that capital or trade it back into this years draft to improve the 2024 hand remains to be seen.

There is some very good top end talent in the next draft, is it deep ?????? It's too early to tell, but I would be surprised if it's as deep as this draft.

Furthermore there are some very good WA kids in next year cohort and two of them are West Coast NGA kids and one is a West Coast father son.

Watch out for this name Freddy Rodriguez from South Fremantle 185 cm 85 kg midfielder with elite foot skills, he is right footed, but watching him play you wouldn't know that by the way he plays as he has sublime skills of either foot.

Kid is going to be a Gun, I think he will be the first WA kid drafted next year.

Interesting how you compare the two drafts. Given this is deeper I have more confidence now but still a bit shook over what we did for pick 3.

If it comes down to it and we have one top end and one mid range do you take Warner or Rodriguez and co?

Yet warner will likely place top 5 in the Brownlow and his worth will only go up, not down. 2 first now would've been palatable, next year will be more

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
My ass... watch his highlight reel if you want to see if he's more than a cherry on the cake player, we don't even have the cake, not to mention the cream for the cherry to go on.

FB: Bazzo Edwards Hough
HB: Duggan McGovern Ginbey
C: Hunt Yeo Maric
HF: Hewett Waterman Baker
FF: Long O Allen Ryan
R: B Williams H Reid Kelly
INT: J Williams Graham Dewar Hutchinson Owies
EMG: Cripps Cole Johnston Petruccelle Hall A Reid Chesser Flynn

Playing Bazzo cos we need to develop him in case Gov or Harry goes down.
The team already looks a lot stronger with 3 additional hardened AFL players, plenty of youth putting pressure on for spots, so excited to see what our new coach can do, bring on 2025, can’t wait!
With heap of picks in 2025 we are definitely on the improve, anyone who thinks otherwise has rocks in their head.

I was pretty flat after the pick 3 trade, like everyone. But now that the dust has settled I think it's far from the disaster many are making it out to be. Think we got less than we should have for pick 3, but we took the option available to us. Yes there were other picks other clubs had we theoretically could have swapped, but according to Pyke all clubs were canvassed for options, and this was the only road open.

Duffield said the Hawks original offer for Barrass was 14 + F3. Baker was always going to be pick 14... Freo were willing to offer more.

So we would have ended up with:

3, 26, Baker, F3, late picks

Instead, we ended up with:

12, 26, Baker, Owies, F1, F2, F3, late picks

So 3 was essentially traded for 12, F1, F2, Owies.

A 9 pick slide, and extra picks next year. Is it really that bad? You can argue it's not a good outcome in a "strong" draft sure, but I fail to see the melt-worthy disaster. Our list needs both top end youth and mid-age players to be "fixed". We've addressed the later need, and now have currency to add more youth, either by trading back in this year, or using in next year's draft.

Last edited:
I can’t say too much, have to keep things pretty close to my chest because it’s very easy to trace this stuff, but here’s a blow by blow of every moment of the trade period, and an inside look at the relationships that will run WA football for the next half decade.

PS my boss is a campaigner.
Come on mate, we've been through this.

He's an independently wealthy former executive-dealmaker-psychologist-property-mogul cum elite AFL scout with a devil may care attitude and the minerals to say what he wants.

Sure it seems a bit reckless or 'Cause of Actiony' but that's only because we don't understand the freedom that comes from having one foot out of the game and the other on a beach in redacted.

He's an independently wealthy former executive-dealmaker-psychologist-property-mogul cum elite AFL scout with a devil may care attitude and the minerals to say what he wants.

Sure it seems a bit reckless or 'Cause of Actiony' but that's only because we don't understand the freedom that comes from having one foot out of the game and the other on a beach in redacted.
Can't wait for him to put the call of the ocean on hold & come back for 'one last favour' next year

Nah Kelly is way better than Baker and they were all later 1sts and 2nds .

We traded out pick 3 . ****ING PICK 3 to secure Baker FFS .

Then paid more for Baker than bailey Smith who is twice the player Baker is and 3 years younger .

Total cluster ****

The Kelly deal was really unfortunate, in retrospect, but at least there was a logical reason to do it and it actually made pretty good sense at the time. Our flag window seemed to be wide open, and there's some sense in trying to increase your chances of turning one flag into two or three, even if it will make the eventual rebuild much worse.

What cooked it was basically the moment he arrived at the club 7 or 8 crucial senior players from 2018/19 all broke down/dropped off the face of the earth with chronic injuries that they didn't have a year earlier, and we never seriously contended again. And on top of that the two first round kids we did have (Venables, Brander) both washed out.

So we rolled the dice and it didn't come off but it wasn't actually a crazy chance to take.

The difference here is theres absolutely no sensible reason for a bottom 4 team to be trading away a top 5 pick to secure a decent, but non AA calibre 26 yo who wants to come to us. Its not just a risky ploy, it's utter insanity. Are we rebuilding or aren't we?

So a summary of the period:

Out: Pick 3, Barrass, F4
In: Pick 12, Baker, Graham, Owies, F1 (Hawks), F2 (Hawks), F3 (Hawks)

It's really not that bad when you look at it like this - just spewing we don't have a top 10 pick anymore, we paid more for Baker than Bailey Smith, and get overs for Barrass. What could have been.

On the flipside - could be a masterstroke if Hawks fall in shit heap and drop to bottom 6
Except we will probaly sell it to get back into this draft for a late teens pick😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The system is utterly stuffed if as Phil eluded to, high end kids refusing to leave mumma’s bedtime stories and go to one of the supposedly bigger clubs in the land.

Surely the AFL sees how fundamentally flawed their system is when you have some teams leveraging it for one reason (academies) and others looking to benefit off this like the tigs did with Lions and Suns.

Let’s all remember that this years premier will likely get the Number 1 pick where-as our only hope of ever getting this is by finishing last (which we will split anyways but whatevs) or by losing Harley.

We don't know if Phil is talking shit or not. Sure as shit is fun playing the game though.
'Clarkey was losing it. He was all in on 7s and 2s, so we had to tell him to take a hike - and that's when we got to work.'

How could you not love this shit. The drama!

I would totally watch that show

Those idiots that lambasted Baker on Social Media have given the media ammunition for a few years when trying to bring top end trade's to the club. The negativity might cause player's like Warner to not nominate West Coast.

The team already looks a lot stronger with 3 additional hardened AFL players, plenty of youth putting pressure on for spots, so excited to see what our new coach can do, bring on 2025, can’t wait!
With heap of picks in 2025 we are definitely on the improve, anyone who thinks otherwise has rocks in their head.
Actually agree with this.

The system is utterly stuffed if as Phil eluded to, high end kids refusing to leave mumma’s bedtime stories and go to one of the supposedly bigger clubs in the land.

Surely the AFL sees how fundamentally flawed their system is when you have some teams leveraging it for one reason (academies) and others looking to benefit off this like the tigs did with Lions and Suns.

Let’s all remember that this years premier will likely get the Number 1 pick where-as our only hope of ever getting this is by finishing last (which we will split anyways but whatevs) or by losing Harley.
If the AFL is serious about equalisation (hint: unless you’re a northern club or a minnow Vic club, they aren’t) then WA clubs need to be given some sort of assistance at this point. Freo and us are legitimately picking from a smaller pool of players in draft and recruitment yet we get no academy advantages, extra salary cap or list concessions.

Can't wait for him to put the call of the ocean on hold & come back for 'one last favour' next year

I can see him swinging in a hammock, drinking out of a coconut with a little umbrella in it served by prostitute with a cold sore. In the distance you can hear an approaching chopper that lands directly on the beach, blasting sand everywhere. A suited and sunglassed G-man exits carrying a steel briefcase. He approaches Phil to tell him he's needed for one last mission, and this time it's personal.

Phil responds "I'm too old for this shit!" But still reluctantly boards the chopper.

The Recruiter: Escape to Whore Island

Only in cinemas

Last edited:
I really don't like this whole new Richmond clique thing going on. Phil's feedback really isn't of a positive nature.

"I'll only come if X player comes as well..."

"I'm not nominating your club until Mini is announced as coach..."

Mini (already don't like this prick) is big on Baker, and his mates...

Clarke lives Mini. Mini loves Clarke. Mini big on Graham. Graham big on Relton.

Yada Yada Yada. Since when have we done business like this? Whole thing seems dodgy AF. Very irresponsible from Pyke to allow it to happen.

And if the entire Baker/Graham thing fell through, so what? Would anyone other than Mcqualter and his mate Clarke actually care if we didn't get those players?

Oh oh oh but we're lacking in 23-27 bracket.. yeah no shit. So get Dev, Carroll, Peatling, Garcia, and whatever other SENSIBLE targets that don't involve you also bring their buddy or some other bullshit condition like ensuring X pick is used to compensate their old club across.
Might bring back jarrad oakley nicholls

I think there's a gap at about 6/7/8. We need to be inside that. Get Smith/FOS/Draper and we have a high chance of getting a classy A grade player. Then Lalor/Langford/Smillie, slightly less but still a high percentage play. Go much lower than that, then the chance reduce. And I think there's a massive difference between Bo Allen and the first 3 I mentioned. 3 to 6 = not much difference. 3 to 12. Super risky. It's like dropping from 80% chance to 20% chance. You have to find those elite players, and more often than not, they are in the top 5. If we go Warner next year, how many more chances will we get?

Im just saying...

this post (and exact argument) feels very familiar

Any desisted free agents we could be after?

Wouldn't mind Jack Carroll but he probably gets another contract with Kennedy going.

Jaxon prior another one I wouldnt mind going after but has been linked to essendon.

DGB?

Prior and Carroll in that order my preference for a DFA spot.

The former spelling the end of Witherden’s career as an AFL footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back