Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Down at the club for the kids’ holiday academy thing…

Mich Owens just walked past me in naught but a towel and Birkenstocks…

I think I’m pregnant…

IMG_0917.jpeg

Its time gents, I am calling it now.

Can we start the Hunter Clark is the new scapegoat when we lose as well as Hunter vs Jones/Wilson/Windy/Dow comparison like Longer v Hickey?

We just need more irrelevant but highly passionate opinions

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Clark is a scapegoat ffs

It's Clarke and he's an escape goat

Hunter will be fine if he doesn't get injured. It's that simple for me.

Really glad he's a Saints player.
He's had a shocking run with injuries. Looking at his stats for last year he was good up until getting injured against the Hawks.

Fingers crossed this is the year he get a good clean run at it.

IMG_0923.jpeg

Sir Leonard Hayes saw a kid’s boots were undone, so sorted him out.

F#%*ing legend.

No surprises, but Hilly and Mase are unREAL with the kids.

Hilly is mugging with the kids while taking shots at goal - flexing to them, and making bets and so on - and Mase high-fived every single kid, even going back down the line to make sure.

Last edited:
Yeah but that's the point I'm making. Swan had a body that looked like a punching bag that split its stitches but still won a brownlow.

Clark might have the upper body of a rhythmic gymnast, but he's tough as hell on the inside, hard to tackle etc. Body appearance doesn't mean much.

Ty Vickery.
It’s a really good point that you bring up that I think doesn’t get spoken about enough.

Natural strength

Strength from weights

Some players loook massive but don't have any core/hip strength whlst others can be skinny as a rake and be impossible to tackle.

Some examples
View attachment 1888366

F#%*ing legend.

Hilly is mugging with the kids while taking shots at goal - flexing to them, and making bets and so on - and Mase high-fived every single kid, even going back down the line to make sure.
I've said it before, I don;t love Hill as a player but the value he brings off the field is unvaluable as is Mase. It is unbelivable to think what we have gotton with Wood. There is no doubt that both have been enormous in making guys like , Keeler, Pou, Naz, Collard etc feel welcome and more importantly teaching them the proffesionalism needed,

Its time gents, I am calling it now.

Can we start the Hunter Clark is the new scapegoat when we lose as well as Hunter vs Jones/Wilson/Windy/Dow comparison like Longer v Hickey?

We just need more irrelevant but highly passionate opinions

FFS all we have discussed is that some think Clark might struggle to be in our best 23 and now his 'gaurdian angels' are claiming he will be the next scapegoat WTF. Its a site where members should be able to express their opinions, but it seems certain players should be excempt from analysis. Some posters in particular you never see them 'like' or enjoy others input unless it completely serves their own agendas. I think the reasoning to that is obvious!

Its evident that our midfield is our weakest line and has been for sometime. Supporters discussing players and the best 23 is just an opinion of what they believe will see our team improve. Footy is a subjective topic and there are genuinely more ways than we know to acheive the same results. Not everyone sees footy exactly the same and thats the beauty of the game, so lets be a little more forgiving of how others see players strengths and weakness and the team improving.

FFS all we have discussed is that some think Clark might struggle to be in our best 23 and now his 'gaurdian angels' are claiming he will be the next scapegoat WTF. Its a site where members should be able to express their opinions, but it seems certain players should be excempt from analysis. Some posters in particular you never see them 'like' or enjoy others input unless it completely serves their own agendas. I think the reasoning to that is obvious!

It’s evident that our midfield is our weakest line and has been for sometime. Supporters discussing players and the best 23 is just an opinion of what they believe will see our team improve. Footy is a subjective topic and there are genuinely more ways than we know to acheive the same results. Not everyone sees footy exactly the same and thats the beauty of the game, so lets be a little more forgiving of how others see players strengths and weakness and the team improving.
I actually have Clark ahead of Jones at this stage

Its evident that our midfield is our weakest line and has been for sometime. Supporters discussing players and the best 23 is just an opinion of what they believe will see our team improve. Footy is a subjective topic and there are genuinely more ways than we know to acheive the same results. Not everyone sees footy exactly the same and thats the beauty of the game, so lets be a little more forgiving of how others see players strengths and weakness and the team improving.
I disagreed with your post about Clark, however you argued your point well.
Who knows who is correct.
I do know we get it more wrong than right.

Don't stress, if Clark is in our best 22 and has a great season, I am sure you will be happy.
Chill mate, it's preseason

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I disagreed with your post about Clark, however you argued your point well.
Who knows who is correct.
I do know we get it more wrong than right.

Don't stress, if Clark is in our best 22 and has a great season, I am sure you will be happy.
Chill mate, it's preseason

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

To me the good thing is if he works out and turns into the player we hoped it will be great. If he doesn't and he doesn't make it we have enough coming in behind him that we won't have to stress.

To me the good thing is if he works out and turns into the player we hoped it will be great. If he doesn't and he doesn't make it we have enough coming in behind him that we won't have to stress.

Thats the beauty of our current list depth. No supporter wants to see any of our players not suceed, but the AFL is a cut throat profession and the players have to be driven to get the best out of themselves and team mates. Lets hope all our players can have a good run with injuries and form throughout the season - particularly Hunter.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suggest a roped VIP section somewhere along the fence between race and interchange bench with accompanying door person and drinks service.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I preface this by saying i didn't see much of yesterday's training.. far too much BS and banter with my brains trust colleagues, however i thought I'd do an overview of what I've seen over the few training weeks, specifically the new additions:

* Paddy Dow - the most impressive part of Dow's game is his ability to accelerate away from stoppage, which in the modern congested game is a great asset to have.
He also has quick hands and his kicking skills are adequate.
* Liam Henry - He's been among the most impressive trainers at the club.
He's got good speed and endurance, plus tremendous lateral movement...very exciting upside!
* Liam O'Connell - Once he learns the nuances of our game, Liam will be a handy player, seems suited to a half back role & has a good turn of pace, kicks it pretty well and is a good size.
He's doing extra running at the moment to build his tank.
* Riley Bonner - He's a nice size, around 190cm tall and really good mover with speed and an extremely penetrating left foot.
The knock on him has been his defensive side of his game, so if he can tighten that up, could potentially be a handy half back for when Sinclair goes into the midfield during games.
* Darcy Wilson - This kid's a ripper, should have been a 10-12 pick but somehow we snared him with #18!
He's got an unbelievable running endurance, combined with good speed, the best I've seen with that combination since Aussie Jones back in the day.
He also has a tremendous vertical leap, is a one grab mark and has a great side step.
Although a light frame still, the kid has put on 9kgs in 12 months so is on his way to getting a hardened AFL body.
* Lance Collard - 65kg wringing wet this kid but he's got some tricks.
Great speed and agility, plus he can jump on blokes heads...definitely an exciting player to watch!
  • Angus Hastie - very quick and good agility but doubt he'll get senior opportunities next season. far too light at this stage.
  • Hugo Garcia - Hugo has missed most of training due to hamstring tendonitis, however i did see a 20 minutes of vision of him playing for assumption college.
He's another with the speed and endurance combination...could be a smokey for the odd game or 3 next season.
* Arie Shoenmaker - Will likely get a couple of senior games next season, as we are light on for tall defenders.
As documented, his kicking is amazing, having the ability to send 50 metre bullets to teammates not having to break stride.
Not sure where he'd fit in, he's that awkward height, not quite tall enough for a key defender & may struggle against the quick, smart smaller to medium forwards.

As a side note, Caminiti will be trialed as a defender this coming season, Tim Membrey has lost 4kgs and looking very good, Mitch Owens, Windhager, Phillipou and Byrnes have put on size and are in great shape.
Wanganeen-Milera, Henry, Windhager and Phillipou would be my selections as best trainers so far!!
BS and Banter I dont know what you’re talking about🤣

View attachment 1888366

F#%*ing legend.

If that was me I’d be sleeping and showering in that boot for the next year and never untying it.
The kid is probably thinking “why can’t that old guy mind his own business?”

Don’t get me wrong I want nothing but success for HC but for 6 years in the system he still doesn’t really look like an AFL standard body

Given he’s not exactly the paciest player Id always hoped he’d bulk up and become a bit of a Lenny style evasive hard man with his good skills

Milney had the body of a Bogan from the local pool after 12 pre seasons and it didn’t affect him too much.
Clark’s muscle definition isn’t the problem, it’s his bad luck with injury.

Milney had the body of a Bogan from the local pool after 12 pre seasons and it didn’t affect him too much.
Milney playing midfield was he?

Fingers crossed the human pipe cleaner gets a clean run at it.

Clark has to do 3 things well to be in the team. He has to be up there in
Clearances
Contested Possessions
Effective Possessions.

He also needs to be an accountable almost lockdown backman when required.

Do not want him to have high stats in uncontentesed Possessions and hand ball receives.

That's where the Sincs Nas Hill and most likely Henry/Wilson want to be leading those stats along with bounces.

Phillipou Wood and Owens goals contested marks and inside 50 entries.

If that is not how it plays out then there is something wrong with the gameplan or I am on drugs and know nothing about football, which is very possible.

Why is it such a a bad thing to be on drugs....it never seems to get a good wrap!

I "like" and enjoy your input...but the spelling mistakes, oh my.

View attachment 1888366

F#%*ing legend.

Hayes is literally jesus

Clark has this ability to rip the ball out when in dispute in congested situations...and a great sense of direction with ball in hand in a phone box. You can't teach that shit!

It's not my fault my opinion accuracy is 100%

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back