Preview RD 16 Geelong v Essendon Sat Jun 29 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I’ve been through the tough decades previous to this winning run and I accept that we’re gonna be mediocre at best for a while now, none of that affects how I feel currently though.

For instance, if we’re terrible again for another 44 years I certainly won’t be resting on laurels & saying “oh we’ll just remember how we smashed port in 07”.
We get a very good mid, Conway comes on, Neale continues his progression and we immediately look a lot better.
We are not so bad on paper atm just not putting it together with those huge three gaps.

Of course not, but it's about perspective and how you're treating the game as a footy fan.

Following sport passionately is unique to other instances in which you're heavily emotionally invested, and there needs to some perspective with that being the case.

For instance, just about anything else you're passionate about is by and large within your control.

If you want to improve your life, your job, your relationships, your fitness etc etc...what do you do?

You work harder, you work smarter, you try new things, and you make plans to get there.

Following sport isn't like that. We have SFA control over what's going on out there, what direction the club is taking, or what's going right & wrong within the four walls.

That "resting on my laurels" mentality implies that YOU can make a difference. You can't. None of us can, so it's pointless adopting that line of thinking.

It's why it's important to approach sport with a healthy mindset, and it's why you'll see supporters saying "Oh well, we had a great run. It's time to enjoy watching the next generation develop".

It's not a cop-out for those supporters, or them not being ruthless in the chase for success.

They just have a healthy perspective that we've had it better than anybody now for 20 years, in a situation we have zero control over.

If it's another forty years between drinks, you might very well be right, and people probably will start to lose their shit, or fall out of love with the game.

I know dozens of Melbourne, Carlton, St Kilda, & Richmond supporting mates who have done just that.

Luckily, with a club as well run as ours, it's highly, highly unlikely it's going to take that long.
Yep a great perspective.

It's why, for example, I posted yesterday that the VFL loss was a great game to watch and there were a lot of upsides. A few years ago I might have binned the screen in piss offidness.

Older and wiser I hope. It certainly helps.

The fact we have little influence on the game is pertinent. I won't say collectively we have "no" influence cos there's an energy thing going on. You know that energy when you know shit is going to go down? And it does. It has impact.

The reality is we are fans not players or coaches, and what we think about this or that means jack in the long run.

For those who don’t have access to the Addy…I have screenshot the “likes” from Round 14 as we move into Round 15. I didn’t bother with the “dislikes” as they have been well and truely covered by BF already!!

Attachments

• IMG_5510.png
    IMG_5510.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5512.jpeg
    IMG_5512.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5513.jpeg
    IMG_5513.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 48

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ohenry has to be in the gun as well. He's a downhill skier. I'd start Rohan ahead of him and use sub on mannagh or knevitt
We haven't had a game with just Cameron, Neale and O.Henry starting as our tall forwards this season and it will almost certainly be our set up in 2025. So why not keep it simple, try that and see if it can spark Henry into some form?

Ohenry has to be in the gun as well. He's a downhill skier. I'd start Rohan ahead of him and use sub on mannagh or knevitt
Yeah Rohan gives more presence for sure but I think Henry is one would should really be trying to develop for the future. He’s only 21 and needs some gym time but I reckon he could become a very good forward if prepared right.

Yeah Rohan gives more presence for sure but I think Henry is one would should really be trying to develop for the future. He’s only 21 and needs some gym time but I reckon he could become a very good forward if prepared right.I think Ollie Henry needs to develop some new tricks he is to one dimensional and to small for that dimension. I think the VFL may be the best place for him to develop them.

Even within that we still had some great years of footy. Don't know about the rest of you but Gazza Seniors years and especially in Blights years as coach were some great days at the footy
Think the ‘charge of the blight brigade’ years remain the most fun I’ve had at the footy. ( in home and away season). Crikey it was entertaining footy.

We are at a crossroads, i would expect there will be meetings held at the club to go over this stuff.

SURELY you can't ignore some of these VFL performances? Right?....

Neale is a sure in for Hawk
Chilli Conway HAS to be in after we got killed in the ruck and his VFL performance.

Others i would hope get a look in.

Knevitt
Humphries
COS

Guy i assume has pictures of someone and won't get a shot

Mitch Hardie....

Stanley was rested for the last 1/4 of the VFL so he’s the most likely in, I’d say.

We are at a crossroads, i would expect there will be meetings held at the club to go over this stuff.

SURELY you can't ignore some of these VFL performances? Right?....

Neale is a sure in for Hawk
Chilli Conway HAS to be in after we got killed in the ruck and his VFL performance.

Others i would hope get a look in.

Knevitt
Humphries
COS

Guy i assume has pictures of someone and won't get a shot

Mitch Hardie....
Wouldn't Mitch Hardie be the guy who doesn't have pictures of someone? As he seems to have no leverage?

Touhy on the other hand clearly has a video of Scott & Hocking together in the closet making babies.

My source says one of the babies even looked at him!!

Wouldn't Mitch Hardie be the guy who doesn't have pictures of someone? As he seems to have no leverage?

Touhy on the other hand clearly has a video of Scott & Hocking together in the closet making babies.

I've got the appropriate Simpsons reference for this situation (for when Hardie signed).

Hardie: Oh no, not Chris Scott.
GFC forum: Is that bad?
Hardie: Well, he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog.
GFC forum: You did?
Hardie: Well, replace the word "kinda" with the word "repeatedly," and the word "dog" with "son."

Season 4 Episode 21 GIF by The Simpsons

Think the ‘charge of the blight brigade’ years remain the most fun I’ve had at the footy. ( in home and away season). Crikey it was entertaining footy.

Loved 1991-BAGS and BAGS of goals that season 20 - 27 kicked on numerous occasions.
But not finals. Pity Hawf and WC narrowly ruined the dream.

Over 50's Catters have more footy reasons to be resilient- if you're going through hell keep going.

Dons by 5. Can't really see another 10 goal defeat although Essendon's midfield is good. Neale in for Hawkins is a plus. Conway in as well should help, but I liked SamDK around the ground last Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back