Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he really? If so get him to go talk to high school kids who want to drop out.

That should be enough motivation to stay at school.
A high school drop out who's managed to extract about $10mill. from a little battler football club and the highly 'book learn'n' educated people running it - they'll hang off every word hoping to hear the secret of his success

At 15, Hinkley he met his future wife Donna. At 16 – in a storyline that mirrors that of the Crows’ first Brownlow Medallist Mark Ricciuto who grew up in the Riverland – Hinkley was the leading goalkicker for the Camperdown senior team. At 17, he was leaving school with no career in mind, but starting a semi-professional sporting journey with VFL club Fitzroy. It wasn’t quite the dream it appears.

“I was one of those who battled to make the adjustment out to city life; didn’t like it,” says Hinkley who played 11 games in his two seasons (1987-88) with the Lions. “That’s why when you look at my footy career I was at Fitzroy, I wasn’t at Fitzroy, I was at Fitzroy, I wasn’t at Fitzroy. And then I ended up at Geelong because I just didn’t like living in Melbourne. I was a typical country boy from a big family who just needed to have people around to make me feel comfortable. That didn’t happen in Melbourne.

“I was 17. I didn’t have a driver’s licence. I was relying on public transport and rides home at night. This is a country boy who once he got to Werribee, he got spooked by how big the place was and then had to find his way around. It was a little bit foreign for a country lad. I’d left school at the end of Year 11 because I knew I was going to Fitzroy. The club wanted me to continue at school, but it was never part of my plan, unfortunately. So I did a bit of labouring work in factories between playing footy. But every chance I got, I was on the train or in the car trying to get home to country Victoria.

I had no plan..."
tl;dr - Werribee is scary

View attachment 2032525

Even now, in what is likely his final weeks as Port coach, he simply will not admit that the buck stops with the coach.

Which is why I have absolutely no sympathy for him.
Slight amendment: "pressure will continue to come my way until I quit."

"What Cornes, who in contrast has ritually defended Hinkley, failed to acknowledge here, was that his brother Chad is an assistant coach to Hinkley. And so on and so on."

What Connolly failed to acknowledge - and continues to fail to accept - is the laughable conflict of interest of Caroline Wilson in the debate.

I appreciate that this industry is filled with the most egregious conflicts of interest and Cos being a former Nine executive might not rank highly in Connolly's estimation. But Jam TV also produces "Footy Classified" i.e. Cos is her employer.

AFL Media protects its own, even when Wilson was probably celebrating with a Shiraz after Connolly was booted from the Fairfax offices.

This was from 2021, the last part of the of the article.

Buckley is 48. He still has much time to add more and more of his imprint on Australian football.

“Anything Nathan does next, he will grab with both hands,” says Cunningham. “I admire everything about Nathan. He has his detractors, but I did (while working as a consultant with the football staff at Collingwood) see how good Nathan was as a coach. He really cared about the game, the people and the club.”

Another chapter seems inevitable in the Buckley football book.

Perhaps he will finally return to Alberton to match his SANFL premiership success with a successful coaching stint.

Looks like Bevo will go past Kane's daddy Hinkley on the ladder if Dogs maintain their lead over North.

Hasn’t happened yet, but imagine giving up a top 10 pick, plus throwing in steak knives also, for esava and soldo.
Then whining about the talent on the list.

Looks like Bevo will go past Kane's daddy Hinkley on the ladder if Dogs maintain their lead over North.
Freo is beating Sydney, which admittedly doesn't mean much at this stage in the game, but a Dockers victory means that the team is further entrenched in the Top 8.

Freo, WB, Gold Coast, Geelong and Hawthorn winning will mean further pressure on Ken.

He thrives on pressure, right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo is beating Sydney, which admittedly doesn't mean much at this stage in the game, but a Dockers victory means that the team is further entrenched in the Top 8.

Freo, WB, Gold Coast, Geelong and Hawthorn winning will mean further pressure on Ken.

He thrives on pressure, right?
He's a fighter, our Ken. I'd expect him to lift.

Certainly wouldn't get upset over a sticker on a sign or media criticism or just generally say finals are scary no chance at all

Think Hinkley could have been a better coach and definitely snagged flags if he had an education, or at least had the desire to pursuit further education later in life. But he's content being an amateur bumpkin league level coach instead.
As far as I know Hinkley has only once gone on an overseas fact finding mission in the 2 months during the end of season and start of preseason.

Clarko went every year. Most coaches go every year to meet different people, see different things, learn new things.

Not Hinkley doesn't like the big smoke, likes to stay in his bubble.

Last edited:
a lot of strong personalities there. would either work or a catastrophic failure. no middle ground. would be interesting to be involved/observe.
Tredders has regularly said that he and many other players would argue with Choco, Walsh and other coaches.

Thats why they were tough bastards and ultimately beat the best ever.

They eventually come to resolutions that provided better results.

Our current players are too timid to do this to Ken and his surly death stare.

Adding intrigue to Port’s coaching situation is that neither Koch nor club chief executive Matthew Richardson have spoken in the media this week about Saturday’s performance, the fans jeering or to back Hinkley.
In contrast, Crows chief executive Tim Silvers went on radio the next day to stand by coach Matthew Nicks in the wake of mounting pressure and fan unrest after the club’s home loss to Richmond earlier this month.
boom smile GIF

As far as I know Hinkley has only once gone on an overseas fact finding mission in the 2 months during the end of season and start of preseason.

Clarko went every year. Most coaches go every year to meet different people, see different things, learn new things.

Not Hinkley doesn't like the big smoke, likes to stay in his bubble.

That's my recollection too regarding Hinkley, and from what I remember reading on this forum he's been unwilling to do anything since. Because he hates it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back